Bar of soap or shower gel /liquid soap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
it seems to me that shower gel/liquid soap has taken over from the good old bar of soap,a bar of lifeboy or Pears seemed to last months!!! & if you got it in your eyes it was agony!!I remember my Mum using a bar of soap on my dads shirt collars before they went in the wash.My preference is for liquid soap,anyone still use bars of soap?;)

longers

Legendary Member
dddgmf.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, I like to lather all over with soap, which you can't do so well with shower gel as it all goes down the drain. Also soap doesn't need a container, which can end up floating around the sea for years if it's not recycled.

Sales of soap have plummeted to about 5% of the level of 20 years ago thanks to liquids. Colgate Palmolive has a soap factory near the Manchester United ground, which had four massive boiling pans for turning thousands of tons of palm oil and tallow into soap. When I went round about 15 years ago three were closed and the last was working but I believe that even that has closed now and production has been centralised somewhere in Europe. When you go to the supermarket toilet soap gets about half a metre of two shelves compared with the huge amounts of liquids on sale.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Every now and then i treat myself to a chunk of Karma soap from Lush. I also buy their solid shampoos and use them as travel soap when cycle touring.

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
vernon said:
Every now and then i treat myself to a chunk of Karma soap from Lush. I also buy their solid shampoos and use them as travel soap when cycle touring.

I hate the smell of Lush shops,make me feel a bit sick!

tyred

Legendary Member
Always bar soap. Hate liquids (although they do make a convenient and acceptable shaving cream).

Norm

Bars of soap.

I don't like shower gel because it is gone before it's been properly applied (unless using a sponge, which feels mildly extravagant) and I don't like liquid hand soap because it never feels like it has been properly rinsed.

The rest of the family use the liquid stuff, though it does mean, because the bars are generally much cheaper, I can buy some very decent soaps and still spend less than Radox would cost. ;)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Liquid shower creme from sainsburys and a sponge for me

rh100

Can't seem to find Shield anymore. Having to use imperial something or other. Don't mind using shower gel, but it runs out very quickly. Usefull if travelling though.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Liquid soap and shower gel for me. I switched because I found that soap caused my skin to go dry, plus soap bars left mess on the sink where they sat as well as a 'scum' in the basin when it was emptied (and no, it's not because I'm a dirty git :laugh: )

I use Dove Beauty Cream Wash as it's mild and can be used on the face, unlike most other liquid soaps.

Dove_Cream_Wash_250ml.jpg

In the shower I use one of these sponge things with the shower gel

thumbnail.asp

I didn't used to use one and I went through shower gel very quickly. WIth this a little now goes a long way and shower gel now lasts for ages.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
gary r said:
I hate the smell of Lush shops,make me feel a bit sick!

Overcome your repulsion and seek out the Karma soap and solid shampoos - the 'signature smell' of Lush shops isn't designed to attract males but there are some manly smelling products in their shops.

Top Bottom