BBC helmet cam film to explore cyclist-motorist conflict

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
The bolded bit is definitely not cyclecraft, rather the opposite. Cyclecraft is closer to the rest of your paragraph. ;)

Strangly enough I have never read Cyclecraft or intend to. I think 30yrs on the motorcycle has given me good road sense adjusted for the bicycle, or I hope so. Nothing is guaranteed though......

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Strangly enough I have never read Cyclecraft or intend to. I think 30yrs on the motorcycle has given me good road sense adjusted for the bicycle, or I hope so. Nothing is guaranteed though......

I also have quite a lot of motorcycle and car mileage, and it certainly helps loads. Cyclecraft and bikeability instructor training expanded on that to some degree, mind. :smile:

cd365

Guru
I cannot work out the obsession some people have on this forum with Cyclecraft. Most people will not have heard of it at all and as far as I'm aware it has no standing in the law at all but is recommended reading for Bikability training. So IMHO quoting primary/secondary at a motorist is pointless. It should be in the Highway Code and I'm surprised it isn't, does anyone know if the government are being pressurised into including it and possibly including questions on a cyclists road positioning in the Theory Test all new drivers have to take?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I cannot work out the obsession some people have on this forum with Cyclecraft. Most people will not have heard of it at all and as far as I'm aware it has no standing in the law at all but is recommended reading for Bikability training. So IMHO quoting primary/secondary at a motorist is pointless. It should be in the Highway Code and I'm surprised it isn't, does anyone know if the government are being pressurised into including it and possibly including questions on a cyclists road positioning in the Theory Test all new drivers have to take?

Once you know the smallest amount about good cycling, you'll realise this is a totally specious argument.

Nothing in cyclecraft relies on any motorist knowing anything about it at all. Why would you even think that? Cyclecraft is all about altering your own riding to compensate for what motorists do, be it the instinctive stuff, the good practice based on the highway code, or even their mistakes.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
2227934 said:
This part is quite correct though, as a subset of the general rule that discussing anything with any motorist is sadly more likely to be pointless than useful.
In some cases the same thing can be said about discussing things with cyclists. :laugh:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
If undertaking were illegal, what would the point of bus lanes be?
The areguement there would be that the buses can stop in it without blocking the flow of traffic. However, if there was a traffic jam, it would be illegal for the bus to drive down the lane passing the stuck cars, so the bus would end up blocking the bus lane.
This is the reason it is not illegal to undertake (and I think that because a bus lane has a solid line, buses are allowed to undertake cars).

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The areguement there would be that the buses can stop in it without blocking the flow of traffic. However, if there was a traffic jam, it would be illegal for the bus to drive down the lane passing the stuck cars, so the bus would end up blocking the bus lane.
This is the reason it is not illegal to undertake (and I think that because a bus lane has a solid line, buses are allowed to undertake cars).
I would say it's more to do with the rules which are applied to the motorways and when you are allowed to pass other vehicles on the left in those situations rather than about it being a solid line, as all that indicates is that it is a bus lane.

Top Bottom