BBC helmet cam film to explore cyclist-motorist conflict

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
11 and 9 the 2 that are out. Just on local estate roads. I went and go out with them and got them the highway code. They've both done bikeability.... (edited)

That response makes sense. You and I differ in that I'd have had my littluns in a more secondary position even on residential streets, but I am not necessarily right on this. I just disagree.

I was imagining children riding primary as a default on the hilly, twisty NSL single-carriageway A-Roads where my children did a lot of their learning.

Even though I disagree about the tendency towards primary as default, I'm deeply pleased that kids are being taken out and taught to ride on the road by their parents. I see very few children out riding on the roads, which is odd in these 'cycling boom' days.

I believe your love of primary as a default may soften when your kids start to hit the fast, twisty stuff where artics bomb past and cars pass them while being overtaken.

But I take my hat off to you for teaching them to ride and I only disagree a tiny bit with default primary when it's on a housing estate.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Each road is so individual of what position you use. The route I take to work and back, my position changes with the weather and traffic tolerance day in day out. Guideance from books are ok and a guideline but you need to fine tune and adjust with traffic and conditions and not stangnate in one position. When I venture out on the road I tend to read the road and junctions I approach and weigh up if the traffic is aggressive or passive plus weight up what to do on the size of the vehicle which I am being approched on. You have to have eyes everywhere and be alert all the time.......primary, secondary use your own judgement.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Each road is so individual of what position you use. The route I take to work and back, my position changes with the weather and traffic tolerance day in day out. Guideance from books are ok and a guideline but you need to fine tune and adjust with traffic and conditions and not stangnate in one position. When I venture out on the road I tend to read the road and junctions I approach and weigh up if the traffic is aggressive or passive plus weight up what to do on the size of the vehicle which I am being approched on. You have to have eyes everywhere and be alert all the time.......primary, secondary use your own judgement.

The bolded bit is definitely not cyclecraft, rather the opposite. Cyclecraft is closer to the rest of your paragraph. ;)

fudgepanda

It's common sense. The instructor should be fired.
I'm afraid that my employer is the sort who gives a lot of tasks to people who are ill-qualified to do them but just happen to be present when the task is given out. He was also sent on a cycle maintenance course - the locker his stand and tools are in has a sheet of A4 paper stuck to it, on which is printed: "Cycle maintenance kit. (Never used)" He's since been moved sideways to another location. They could of course have given the "job" to another of our group who's competed in Triathlons for over 25 years and knows bikes inside out. But that would have been too simple.....giving the task to someone who already knows something about the subject and really wants to do it.

fudgepanda

Users bolding seems to stop short of the first "when" cutting half of the sentence out.

I read it as.

When your speed matches that of traffic around you
When approaching things like junctions/lights
When approaching pinchpoints like islands/speed ramps blah blah

I do not ride "primary" all of the time
Although I'm a very recent returnee to the world of cycling I'm actually bringing influences from driving and motorcycling and adapting them to my new world. I'm quite sensitive to the level of inconvenience caused being directly related to the amount of aggression received from drivers. At the same time trying to balance this with riding in a position whereby I don't end up hitting every rut and pothole on the road, I seem to be pretty much doing what T.M.H.N.E.T., User and summerdays have put above.

With regard to the BBC programme, I found it to be a mix of innocent victims of drivers poor and inconsiderate conduct on the road, an unrealistic expectation that drivers would automatically see a cyclist and a small amount of reckless cycling.

Unfortunately, when drivers talk about cyclists, it can be a little like the TV programme "Mock The Week " in as much as "things you never hear car drivers say".

I was really impressed today when two cyclists stopped at some lights next to me this afternoon.

You know, I'm beginning to think that cycling is such a healthy, sustainable and time saving mode of transport I might just park up the Range Rover and get myself a hybrid.....yeah right!

D

Deleted member 20519

Since I started using a camera I've noticed:

Drivers are less 'pushy', they're more happy to wait behind.
My riding style has changed, I feel more confident in taking primary.
Everyone stares at you. Everyone.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 2224897, member: 45"]There isn't a default riding position.[/quote]

there is, there is the wheels upright ish in contact with the ground and turning position which works very well indeed as a default for cyclists . ;)

I haven't read the book fully but intend to . then i can comment on regulators comments and if they are correct. until i read the book i would be pi55ing in the wind, not that that stops people.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
there is, there is the wheels upright ish in contact with the ground and turning position which works very well indeed as a default for cyclists . ;)

I haven't read the book fully but intend to . then i can comment on regulators comments and if they are correct. until i read the book i would be pi55ing in the wind, not that that stops people.
Till you get the book, this might be a useful summary: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/technique-road-positioning-197/

subaqua

What’s the point
ta for the link. I have read that bikeradar guide before so know what the positions are. i need to read the whole book so i can read things in the context they were written. am wondering if its available as an ebook

dunno what the etiquette is for replying to your own posts.

ordered from amazon ( on Prime) £10.23 will be here on Monday !!

fudgepanda

Someone once said that the perception is more important than the actualite. Of the few times I've ridden in busy, but not rushour, conditions I've taken this primary position where there are width restrictions caused by traffic calming but despite the fact that traffic lights were coming up shortly which would stop the cars I still moved back to the left letting them past which allowed the traffic to flow and gave drivers the illusion they were actually making progress when in actual fact I simply caught up with them and passed them all at the lights.

It seemed to make them happy

Since I started using a camera I've noticed:

Drivers are less 'pushy', they're more happy to wait behind.
My riding style has changed, I feel more confident in taking primary.
Everyone stares at you. Everyone.
Yes, cars will notice the camera on your helmet and be angels. People will also look at your, especially if you have a GoPro stuck on top of your head. Lol

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Someone once said that the perception is more important than the actualite. Of the few times I've ridden in busy, but not rushour, conditions I've taken this primary position where there are width restrictions caused by traffic calming but despite the fact that traffic lights were coming up shortly which would stop the cars I still moved back to the left letting them past which allowed the traffic to flow and gave drivers the illusion they were actually making progress when in actual fact I simply caught up with them and passed them all at the lights.

It seemed to make them happy

Too right!

Top Bottom