Beans and Cheese Question

What order do you put beans and cheese on your jacket potato?

• Beans First

• Cheese First

• Either

• Stop trying to divide us as a nation! Are you some kind of Russian Bot intent on spreading discord?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I promised my wife I wouldn't ask this question here. But I'm ignoring her.

Principally when you have a nice jacket potato (or baked potato if you prefer that term) and you want a simple beans and cheese topping, which order do you put them in?

My wife insists on cheese first so that the heat of the potato melts it into the potato flesh. My son refuses to have it that way, and insists that beans must go on first.

The same quandry might also apply to beans and cheese on toast, but with a lower thermal capacity, the advantages of a hot toast with cold cheese on the top are quickly lost.

So, what does an unscientific subset of the UK population comprised entirely of those that enjoy cycling think?
Never mind that Russian fella, now look what you've started.

As far as cheese and beans on toast - my wife has very specific requirements

2 pieces of bread
toast under the grill until just starting to go brown
ONE SIDE ONLY!!!
add grated cheese - normally Lancashire or Wendsleydale
grill under low heat until cheese starts bubbling but bread is not even medium brown
add beans which has been simmered for at least 5 minutes very gently

no no no - she is not fussy at all - won't hear of it :whistle:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
As far as cheese and beans on toast - my wife has very specific requirements

2 pieces of bread
toast under the grill until just starting to go brown
ONE SIDE ONLY!!!
add grated cheese - normally Lancashire or Wendsleydale
grill under low heat until cheese starts bubbling but bread is not even medium brown
add beans which has been simmered for at least 5 minutes very gently

no no no - she is not fussy at all - won't hear of it :whistle:
Grated Wensleydale, you're left with a pile of crumbs, thick slices only I'm afraid otherwise it's not worth it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well done crispy jacket spud. Melty cheese then hot beans. More cheese if you wish.
With bread, i toast it in the toaster. Add melty cheese under the grill. Beans on top. Dead simps really ^_^

figbat

Slippery scientist
I melt some butter over the two potato halves and mash it in with a fork, then the (preferably) grated cheese, and finally the warmly-cooked beans to top it off. And season.
This is it. Butter, salt, black pepper - mash the 'tato within its skin, apply grated cheese, garnish with beans.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Personally I prefer curry with a jacket potatoe
or chilli

tinned is fine

If we must I can put up with beans and sausage and a large dollop of brown sauce
You were doing quite well until you mentioned brown sauce on beans xx(.

figbat

Slippery scientist
My "Beans on Toast Royale" involves toasted bread, buttered, thinly-sliced mature cheddar, beans on top that have been pre-mixed with a little barbecue sauce, dusted with smoked paprika, 1 minute in the meecrowahvey...:thumbsup:.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Cheese on last, with a blast from the kitchen blowtorch thingmy to melt it, and maybe even a wee sprinkle of Lea & Perrins to finish.
Yummm.

(Butter in before anything else, obvs.)

Not sure when but it was a long time ago when I realised jackets potatoes are good on their own. I don't mine dabbing on the beans on the side but somehow the cheese seem to hide the potato taste. Thats me I suppose.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Beans AND cheese :ohmy:.....What do you think I'm made of money
My wife recalls that when she was in her teens, her Mum would always make herself a sandwich for her lunch, it would invariably be always either a thin slice of cheese, OR a single slice of ham in the bread.

Some years later, her Mum visits us and my wife is making a sandwich with ham and cheese on it.
"Ham and cheese?" says her Mother... "that's a bit decadent isn't it?"

Top Bottom