Beer as cycling fuel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Says bloke in Wetherspoons with a Wetherspoons news issue in front of him :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
A fine local beer, Monkey Wrench I think, served very well.
After that nice boost I did 80 miles, including up Greenhow Hill.
At the top of Greenhow Hill, I made myself a double espresso - more shock horror tales about the diuretic effects of caffeine outweighing any benefit but it has got me through many a ride.
In other news, I hear Rapha has just introduced a (fine of course) hair shirt top.

(and I really must start a thread in the nice photo gallery on "your bike and a pint" - give me time)

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
As far as "empty calories" is concerned, I've often heard this phrase about "alcohol" but never quite understood what it meant. Google/Wikipedia has fixed that. It seems to mean "provides energy but no nutritional value".

In human nutrition, the term empty calories applies to foods and beverages composed primarily or solely of sugar, certain fats and oils, or alcohol-containing beverages.[citation needed] They supply food energy, but little to no other nutrition in the way of vitamins, minerals, protein, fibre, or essential fatty acids. Fat contributes nine calories per gram, ethanol seven calories, and sugar four calories.

From personal experience, I find alcohol and vigorous activity don't go well together. Alcohol seems to go straight to my muscles - impairing performance. I think if you're not pushing yourself hard, then drinking a beer or two probably wouldn't make any real difference, but I certainly wouldn't want to drink beer before or during any kind of hard effort.

After a long or hard group ride? Absolutely. We normally stop at the pub after a ton or even after a shorter weekend group ride. But that would normally be with just a short ride home. Don't think I'd feel safe riding after more than two though. But we're all different. That's my take on it.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Nothing scientific in this little (non-cycling) story, and, not advocating anyone should follow my example(?).

As a youngster (ie 26yo at that time), I was attending a cricket club night out, with a pal. In the course of the evening a lot of beer was consumed, and, myself and my pal, somehow agreed to join some of the crowd doing the "Three Peaks Walk", the next day.

The next day, dawned, I donned my walking boots, and packed a six pack of beer, plus some sandwiches (Scottie cake, a sort of flat bread, popular in North East), and, off we went to catch the mini-bus to the first "hill" (Pen-y-Gent, I think it was called).

We set off, up the first hill, and, soon discovered a few things:

- a night on the beer is not the best preparation for such an outing
- some of "the crowd" appeared to be very fit, and were positively running up the hill

We made it to the top, where we lay down flat out on the grass, I thought I was going to die. After a rest, a can of beer and a Scottie cake sandwich, we felt revived enough to continue.

We (my pal and myself) did make it to the top of the next two hills, and, within the allotted time (just).

Lesson learned, be VERY careful what you agree to whilst out on the lash. ;)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Alcohol is a diuretic. It suppresses water reabsorbtion in the kidneys. So you excrete more water than you would were you not drinking alcohol. Result - net water loss. That's what diuretic means. You can't just decide that you "don't buy" that.
That's a very black and white statement.

I find that there's a dosage relationship, and if I have less than a certain amount, I don't pee any more than normal.
As a result, it's relatively common for me to arrive at the lunchtime pub, have three pints, and not pee at all, let alone pee more. If that 3 pints hasn't been excreted, it must be rehydrating me.
The trick is to judge what the amount that will crack the seal is, beforehand.

Anyway...
beer-cycle1_zpscd7552fd.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Hills
As far as "empty calories" is concerned, I've often heard this phrase about "alcohol" but never quite understood what it meant. Google/Wikipedia has fixed that. It seems to mean "provides energy but no nutritional value".
That's not a problem for a bike ride though is it? The "empty calories" thing is just an issue for long term health and bodily functioning. Much of what many cyclists power themselves with - cake, jelly beans etc - must be classed as "empty calories" - and the horror that is gels - hardly a balanced diet. An interesting if irresponsible experiment for two folk might be to see who survived best long term - one on beer and another on gels.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I was in a nice accommodating spoons in Carlisle a while ago and they had this on draught

https://klbrewery.com/product/singletrack/

Didn't like the look of it though - I prefer stronger - even for breakfast.

(and am not a mountainbiker)

(before folk tsk tsk I had been up very early cycling through dark lanes to Hellifield for a train to Carlisle and was waiting to get on another train for more cycling.)

alex_cycles

Veteran
That's not a problem for a bike ride though is it? The "empty calories" thing is just an issue for long term health and bodily functioning. Much of what many cyclists power themselves with - cake, jelly beans etc - must be classed as "empty calories" - and the horror that is gels - hardly a balanced diet. An interesting if irresponsible experiment for two folk might be to see who survived best long term - one on beer and another on gels.

Agreed. Empty calories absolutely not a problem for a bike ride. It says sugar and fat are also empty calories, so you're right about cake and gels.
For me, it's the effect of the alcohol on performance. If I was out for a long, slow bimble on a hot day and passed a pub, I might well have a beer. But definitely not if I was working hard.

Top Bottom