Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
This weekends refreshments:
IMG_20180526_151632322br.jpg

Saltaire Blonde and Adnams Ghost Ship I've had before on draught - everything else is new to me (I think...).
A couple of them advise that they should be served chilled, so I'll put them in the fridge for an hour before opening.

I've also got a couple of bottles of Camden Hells lager in the fridge (it was on offer so I though why not?), and should all else fail, there are a couple of bottles of Birra Moretti in there too.

U

User169

The beerwulf has landed

View attachment 411023

Beerwulf is Heineken’s online platform.

AbInbev acquired Beerhawk a two years ago and bought Master of Malt a couple of months ago.

AbInbev massively games the US distribution system too.

As they see sales of their own products tank, the mega brewers now want to control access to craft beer.

Beerwulf is Heineken’s online platform.

AbInbev acquired Beerhawk a two years ago and bought Master of Malt a couple of months ago.

AbInbev massively games the US distribution system too.

As they see sales of their own products tank, the mega brewers now want to control access to craft beer.
If they keep selling me 15 beers for £26 then they'll be getting more orders from me...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A Fierce Beer Raspberry Tart Sour. Really beer, really raspberry, really tart, really sour. It was like raiding someone's raspberry patch and eating far too many not quite ripe berries. Fierce, I gather are based in Aberdeen. But welcome in Deptford.

I then moved onto a Brick DIPA but this beer, which gets in your face, mouth, eyes and nose, has already gone onto my list. It's definitely not a shy beer, even fiercer than Fierce Beer's.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Does that represent the general picture of what has been going on with Beerwulf? (Never used Beerwulf, or any other online beer retailer, so it's an honest question.)
It's in response to 15 beers for £26. That's less than two quid a bottle, which is well under retail price. I don't suppose that ABInBev are doing this as a favour, so they'll take a slug. Then there's 20% VAT and 50p duty, and pretty soon you're down to not a lot for the producer.

Moving out of production into distribution is a standard business model for large incumbents whose market is being attacked, because distribution is where the profits are. It's why Whitbread now sells coffee and hotel rooms, and Greene King is a property company.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
And Cloudwater is fourteen pounds a pint
I think Cloudwater are taking the p1ss at that price...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's in response to 15 beers for £26. That's less than two quid a bottle, which is well under retail price. I don't suppose that ABInBev are doing this as a favour, so they'll take a slug. Then there's 20% VAT and 50p duty, and pretty soon you're down to not a lot for the producer.

Moving out of production into distribution is a standard business model for large incumbents whose market is being attacked, because distribution is where the profits are. It's why Whitbread now sells coffee and hotel rooms, and Greene King is a property company.
If the brewery has the capacity to scale up production while keeping up quality, then costs will diminish notably. I suppose that Stewart Brewing, an Embra lot, who distributed at very low prices through LiDL (Cascadian East [acceptable]and Radical Road [rather tasty]) until recently, were part of that phenomenon. Economies of Pale, I think they call it....

It might be interesting to find out why Stewart are no longer stocked by LiDL. I'm sure it was mostly over pricing but also the LiDL deal would have forced a drop in sales in other outlets for them.

srw

IMG_20180527_194837197.jpg

Pinot noir barrel brewed sour with plums. Not sure I can distinguish the wine barrels, but the sour and the plum (and it is plum and not damson) are very distinctive. It's rather good, even if the colour is a little camp.

(And having had a complaint from our resident prunus* sour fiend last time, there's a second bottle in the fridge for @theclaud if she manages to pick it up before I drink it.)

*Just had a thought. Prunus spinosa (blackthorn/sloes) make an excellent gin-based drink. Has anyone had them in a beer?)

srw

IMG_20180527_202914437.jpg

This one advertises coffee, but someone seems to have forgotten the order and put a fruit teabag in the mug instead. The pink, and most of the flavour, comes from raspberry and hibiscus. There's a bit of back bitterness, but it's more the tannic bitterness of overbrewed tea than the fruity bitterness of fine coffee.

Top Bottom