Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I get quite excited about Earl Grey beers, but apart from the Yeastie Boys' Gunnamata and something I don't remember the name of from the Easter Road beer shop, they don't really deliver.

I am currently drinking beer with Yerba Mate in!
Marble have an Early Grey IPA and I couldn't notice any bergamot at all. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice beer and one I'd happily drink again. But it tasted of beer (like that's a bad thing?)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I get quite excited about Earl Grey beers, but apart from the Yeastie Boys' Gunnamata and something I don't remember the name of from the Easter Road beer shop, they don't really deliver.

I am currently drinking beer with Yerba Mate in!
Ah yes, the Gunnamata is rich in bergamot. The nearby Fourpure brewery did a single batch of Tea Time a few months ago but the taste of tea was rather subdued, which is surprising because they're usually pretty full on with their added flavours.

So, what's the Maté like? (I'd never heard of Yerba before.)

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
20180611_133040.jpg

In the White Hart in Bridestowe.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Southwark Brewery list their Rhode Island IPA as one of their past beers. But it was available in the cask version down at the Dog and Bell tonight. A really excellent journey beer, travelling well from the front of the mouth to the back and to the top and bottom of the glass. Dark for an IPA but so good I'll forgive them for forgetting what the pale in IPA stands for.

Also a cask Rockin Robin Redbest from Maidstone (Kent). A good and fairly richly malted bitter with little front of the mouth flavour but a good mix of malt and hoppy bitterness in the last 2/3rds.

Also part 2: A 12 Acres Rye IPA. An Irish Keg beer, presumably imported by landlord Seamus; I'll give it an ok rating because, while perfectly imbibable, it was a bit indistinct for me so I'm struggling to think of anything to say about it. (I was with booze brother who was loudly enjoying a Rhode Island alongside, which made me envious of his. But it's another beer on the list for 2018.)

SteveF

More cherry flavour. ...

DSC_0266.JPG

Un-human cannonball. An absolute monster triple IPA weighing in at 11%.

It’s was a bit much for me to be honest, although I can see why people rate it so highly. Certinaly the best one of these types of beers I tried.

View attachment 414123
A big can by yourself is a challenge; it's perfect in thirds with a glass of water on the side.

Cloudwater Chubbles is very similar

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I may have just snuck out for a swift drink this evening. The Thornbridge AM-PM IPA is a fine balanced beer that travels across the tongue with ease. Rich and tropical at the front, malty bitterness at the back before it plunges rapidly down the throat.

And 2/3rd of a Chorlton Mango Sour. Distinctively mangoid, which mingles well with the sourness. I intend to return to get another of this before it all gets drunk.

Top Bottom