Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
When I worked at Hartington Hall, we had that on tap regularly...it's pukka stuff:cheers:. The Packhorse in Little Longstone (near Monsal Head) is also a fine watering hole if you're in that part of the world. Be warned, the interior is, er, cosy, but the beer garden is a lovely spot to sit on a sunny day. Yesterday I cracked open a bottle of Wild Beer Tom Yum Gose, which sounds pretty off the wall but was a winning combination of spiciness, fruitiness and salty umami punch (Tom Yum is a spicy Thai curry paste btw).
The Tom Yum Gose sounds really intriguing. I'll look out for it.

simonali

Guru
Made in the same place as Wyke Farm cheese, I think...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
P1000454.JPG

Yes, you've guessed it, it's a beetroot sour. Mad Hatter Scouse Sour. It works a bit like the way vinegar and beetroot go together. And it actually tastes of beetroot!

I also had a camera-shy Siren Soundwave Session IPA, very much like a slightly toned down Siren Soundwave Citra. A really enjoyable pint. I'll be back for another shortly.

Plus, a Burning Sky Petite Saison to kick the evening off. Sour enough to be sold as a sour, it sits on the boundary between saison and sour. Did I mention sour?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I can't believe there's been no beer imbibed since yesterday! Anyhow, a little wander along the Bermondsey mile bagged me a Melvin Brewing Hubert, which is classed as an MPA, which is a Melvin Pale Ale. It comes from Jacksonville, so maybe it was a Murcan Pale Ale. Or a Marmalade Pale Ale on account of its marmaladicality. (Guest ale at Fourpure.)

Wandered on to Partizan, where I encountered a Damaged Goods. A brief conversation at the counter informed me that it was an English bitter given a secondary kettle dose of brett. Or something like that. Anyhow, my preliminary findings on bitters given the brett treatment is that they also taste like craft marmalade. Good though.....

Then, as the rain set in again, a Partizan Raspberry and Lemon Saison. But it didn't have that heavy, almost powdery, cloying mid-to-late taste of a saison. The guy serving me told me that it had been somethinged at 27 degrees. Whatever witchcraft they had magicked up, it was clean, refreshing and fruity, with only a slight sourness that came from the fruit. A good demarmalader. (But I now learn I've had it before so it's not a new beer for my beer year stats.)

Last edited:
I have grown tired of beer; too many "meh" beers on offer from too many brewers, too many good brewers being bought by bigbusiness.com and I don't have enough time to keep up with what's good, and when I do it's difficult to buy. :sad:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I have grown tired of beer; too many "meh" beers on offer from too many brewers, too many good brewers being bought by bigbusiness.com and I don't have enough time to keep up with what's good, and when I do it's difficult to buy. :sad:
A local free newspaper just did an article about Villages brewery, which is just around about 6 corners from me and about 400 yards. It mentioned 2 local independents that had ''sold out''. I've tried to find out which the 2nd one was, because I knew that Fourpure have just been taken over. (Best guess from Hop Stuff's barstaff and Village's taproom is that it's a reference to Beavertown.) The main indication for me at the moment is size: as soon as they have the capacity to play a fully national or international market, they're vulnerable. But that in itself it not an indication of ''safe'' beer. Ownership doesn't change a good brewer into a bad one overnight. It means, according to my impression, that they're henceforth susceptible to a kind of can-we-supply-a-big-market? conservatism.

If it comes down to difficulties choosing beers, just get what you like and try a new one every now and then.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Depends if you drink at home or down the pub. Try a few tasters and then get the one you like...
Anything from Siren is superb Tempest do some good stuff... What are your taste preferences?

Depends if you drink at home or down the pub. Try a few tasters and then get the one you like...
Anything from Siren is superb Tempest do some good stuff... What are your taste preferences?
I live about 3 miles from Tempest so shouldn't really complain...
However there is a lack of alternatives and there are a growing number of "meh" beers when I have gone exploring.
And pubs here sell lager, lager and lager. Big breweries dominate in Scotland, especially in small towns.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
However there is a lack of alternatives and there are a growing number of "meh" beers when I have gone exploring.
And pubs here sell lager, lager and lager. Big breweries dominate in Scotland, especially in small towns.
Fierce beers up in Aberdeen seem a very capable brewer. I've only had a couple of their sours but they did them well. Seemed to me that they were a fairly uncompromising bunch with no fear of flavour.

stephec

Legendary Member
From memory don't you live near Hawick, have you not got a 'spoon near you at the very least?

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Tempest on 3 miles away! Lucky you!
Don't they have a bar in situ, a few jars of their mexicake and a ride back home would be amazing!

Tempest on 3 miles away! Lucky you!
Don't they have a bar in situ, a few jars of their mexicake and a ride back home would be amazing!
Nope. And as I work 120 miles away from home and have stuff on on Saturdays then it's not an option. I used to always pop in on a Friday afternoon when I worked here. Mexicake is amazing!!!

Top Bottom