Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Them Belgians. They're not bad at beer innit

View attachment 424083

I love this! On the cusp of vinegar sour but holding it right at the edge of fruity, cherry maybe

Lush
Ah! The holiday beer of choice for @wanda2010 and @User13710!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've just been up to Anspach and Hobday's taproom very near the far end of the Bermondsey Beer Mile. (There's only Southwark Brewing 50 yards further up the road.) I had a blackcurrant sour for starters - super blackcurranty and clean - a porter for middles - a good porter close to stout territory, and a Smoked Brown for finishers.

The smoked brown is made by smoking the malt and it really is smoky. And brown. A rather intriguing beer.
P1000457.JPG

SteveF

Handcrafted with Berlin love apparently, 4% of sourness, light and refreshing .

IMG_20180813_182130.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
No pictures as evidence but I've just wandered over to the Taproom and had a Chorlton Mango Sour. A very toned-down kind of sour with the mango flavour coming through florally, enough to make me think of elderflowers. Followed by a Five Points Railway Porter. Pretty intense, lots of what I'd guess was roasted barley to give it that dark bitterness. Back home, I just opened a can of Fourpure Nightfall* - that's their Brazilian collaboration with Sunset and is one of my favourite beers of this year's yearlong tryathlon - to compare tastes. Nightfall still wins. (I should say that the Fourpure is an imperial stout and the Five Points is a porter so I'm not exactly comparing like for like.)

*The other day, I ordered what I thought was 6x50cl cans along with 4 Coastlines (Gooseberry Sour) but when I got to the checkout I discovered that I'd somehow doubled up the order. What the hell, I thought, it'll still run out.... Then I went to Fourpure's taproom last Saturday and they've run out of Nightfall. If I were a beer curator, it could become a classic but I'm a beer consumer so it's a pretty theoretical consideration.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I live about 3 miles from Tempest so shouldn't really complain...
However there is a lack of alternatives and there are a growing number of "meh" beers when I have gone exploring.
And pubs here sell lager, lager and lager. Big breweries dominate in Scotland, especially in small towns.
The big red T is everywhere! However, you can usually get Caledonian Deuchars IPA and Belhaven Best in most places IME. Two of my go to beers when I lived in Oban were Fyne Ales Jarl (hoppy session pale) and Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted (amber ale). The likes of Fallen, Cross Borders , Stewart and Alechemy do some fine ales as well, which may well make it down to Hawick way. Great Corby and Carlisle Breweries, along with Allendale may also make it North of the Wall every now and then. I live in Penrith and we have lots of good pubs in the area, but if you want a more adventurous beer selection then you've got Dockray Hall and the Fell Bar (the latter is my usual watering hole).

Fierce beers up in Aberdeen seem a very capable brewer. I've only had a couple of their sours but they did them well. Seemed to me that they were a fairly uncompromising bunch with no fear of flavour.

I've tried quite a few Fierce beers and they seem to be making a few waves! Tart Night (sour black IPA) was a stoater and I enjoyed Aaron's Red (sour red ale, aged in red wine barrels) plus a Tonka Bean Imperial Stout ( a collab with Brew York, 12% so just the thing for a quick one when you've a train to catch;)). The Aaron's Red was probably my favourite beer of the weekend-there were so many layers of flavour in there . The 12% beast was very moreish for it's ABV ...both on tap in Salt Horse in Embra, which is a most excellent establishment with a very well stocked bottle shop. That kicked off the weekend's drinking for me!:cheers:

Talking of Scottish beers, I'm just trying this little bad boy from speyside...
View attachment 423995
The
Serious chocolate on the nose and initial taste, ending with a long smooth finish. Most excellent and hides the 9% tag so very easily!
I have got to get me some of that!:hyper:
Had this a while ago, was fab... So Included it in a box of fruit and sours that has just turned up from Beerwulf... Will have to exercise some restrain...

Just some...:whistle:

Top Bottom