Beer?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Chuffy, 4 May 2008.

1. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

IMG_20190604_211151.jpg
    11% of barrel aged barley wine by Siren. It's one of their annuals, 2018 being the year they put it into barrels, so it's this year's version. Drinking it at room temperature because I discovered that when I had a sample at the brewery this year it had already warmed up a little, which really brought out the flavour. It's a very winey barley wine and warmed up tastes almost like a fortified wine. I may put my remaining bottle in the fridge for an hour and see how it tastes when it's cooler but not cold.

2. uphillstruggler

uphillstruggler Veteran

09F8F238-7902-43A2-99EA-5090754A315A.jpeg 6763B0FD-9DD7-48E4-BBCA-A064D20EA110.jpeg 1B24204A-A8A1-4C20-894B-F9932E69609D.jpeg

A few I’ve had the good fortune to sample this weekend

The gardeners ale was a very pleasant surprise, never had quince but if this is anything to go by, I’m a fan

The old dairy gold top was a firm favourite but the head brewer changed a while ago and was apparently replaced by a chap from sheapardes neame but from the least bottle I had, it had become more home brewy unfortunately

The easy peeler was in a pub not far from Twickenham on Saturday. Very nice but at £6.20 a pint - blimey

3. deptfordmarmoset

That's a shame about the Old Dairy beers. I've had a few of the different 'Tops' as cask beers and the Old Dairy was a good brewery.

uphillstruggler and theclaud like this.
  4. uphillstruggler

uphillstruggler Veteran

6AD7E151-5873-4AA9-A890-892E69AF84F3.jpeg
    My thoughts exactly. I think there was a turnover of staff and rumour has it that they are in some way involved with a new brewery in Ashford called the curious brewery, which has a good lager (believe it or not) but I think is owned in part by venture capitalists. Not sure how long the old dairy will be about if that’s the case which is a shame.

I worked with a mate of the brewer that came up with the original gold top, but he may even now be involved with the curious lot in some way as his mate said he’d left to join a wine maker that was looking to expand (curious) into beer. If he has, it could be a good thing.

I received a beer from a work colleague from the curious brewery, could be a special occasion beer, a barrel aged elderflower saison. Apparently

I’ll report back once I’ve tried the gold top .

5. stephec

stephec Legendary Member

Airport beer, 5e at the bar or 1.19e in the shop, being a tight northerner can you guess which I chose?

IMG_20190605_191135.jpg

6. SteveF

SteveF Veteran

An Arbor... Lovely pint, smooth with a citrus edge..

IMG_20190605_201327.jpg

7. uphillstruggler

uphillstruggler Veteran

ADB74FDB-DA61-43F7-B2DA-D6731F832210.jpeg A very good, tangy pale ale, slightly bitter aftertaste but I assume that is because it’s from oop norf

Keep sending it south fellas

8. SteveF

SteveF Veteran

A Ginger Bear, smooth and refreshing with a background ginger taste (there's a surprise)...

IMG_20190606_170119.jpg

9. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

Northern Monk Farmhouse IPA. Northern Monk are my current explore range

IMG_20190606_171735.jpg

10. SteveF

SteveF Veteran

The milk stout to the left, more than a subtle hint of chocolate, another nice one..

IMG_20190606_173358.jpg

11. deptfordmarmoset

I'm having an 'It doesn't matter what the name is,' which is an Anspach & Hobday collaboration with Against the Grain. A very smooth barrel-aged stout. Reception is so bad here you'll have to wait till I get somewhere with a stronger signal before you see it. Until then you'll just have to imagine a dark beer against a white wall. In a transparent glass...

12. deptfordmarmoset

Right, I'm back with a decent connection... bonus picture of a bonzai whippet..
    IMG_20190606_183225.jpg IMG_20190606_194324.jpg

13. SteveF

SteveF Veteran

I think they want us to partake of the fresh air...

IMG_20190606_213126.jpg

14. deptfordmarmoset

I was wondering about Sheffield craft beer yesterday. Is it any good?

15. MossCommuter

MossCommuter Guru

I'm not impartial to the odd Aperol meself, like.

With prosecco

theclaud likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice