Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The wheels of life are slowly turning...went on a bit of a pubcrawl with younger son last night. Being a student, he has come to appreciate the particular charm of the inexpensive British boozer.
Glossop has a Sam Smith's, the Crown. It's really cheap (they have some 2.8% lager that they sell for £1.40 a pint). I went upscale with a bottle of the Organic Chocolate Stout. Really nice and bitter and a good start to an evening of excess

IMG_20190719_191137.jpg

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I remember that Estonian one from a Beer52 box a while back, strangest looking coffee bean I've ever seen on the label, if that's what it's meant to be.
Me too...it was stoatin' (or the Estonian equivalent thereof :okay:). Loka Polly's Cassie Espresso Imperial Stout is another cracker, though not terribly sessionable at 10.4%, unless you're Keith Richards:crazy::cheers:. It's another one of those beers that's dangerously moreish for its ABV. Viva la vida Loka!:dance:

stephec

Legendary Member
The wheels of life are slowly turning...went on a bit of a pubcrawl with younger son last night. Being a student, he has come to appreciate the particular charm of the inexpensive British boozer.
Glossop has a Sam Smith's, the Crown. It's really cheap (they have some 2.8% lager that they sell for £1.40 a pint). I went upscale with a bottle of the Organic Chocolate Stout. Really nice and bitter and a good start to an evening of excess

View attachment 476200
I've not been in a Sam Smiths pub for years, I remember losing an afternoon in Huddersfield once on the 6% lager that had the green label, a friend of a friend told Mrs Stephec that I was 'a little worse for wear.' :smile:

Almost got run over by Frank Worthington in his gold Jag outside the football ground after the match.

albal

Guru
Black Tor - sunshine pale. 4.2 % pale ale. Easy going ale . Tho the boozer i'm in has x10 keg and only x4 cask. X1 of them is a cider! Poor show really.

Attachments

• IMG_20190720_1821478.jpg
    IMG_20190720_1821478.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A few today from an afternoon mooch around 'uddersfield:

First, a pint of Timmy Taylor's Golden Best in the King's Head at the station.
IMG_20190720_115041344~2.jpg

A reliable stalwart from Keighley's finest.

Off to the Slubbers Arms, but it was closed - on a Saturday lunchtime? Apparently it doesn't open until 3pm other than on matchdays...:ohmy:

So, retraced our steps to the Magic Rock Brewery Tap, which was open :okay:

Best of the bunch there was the Common Grounds, a triple coffee porter:
IMG_20190720_125708841.jpg

After a couple there, back to The Sportsman and I couldn't not try Dave:
IMG_20190720_150855862.jpg

Which sadly didn't quite live up to the billing. Drinkable, but a bit lacking in body for my tastes.

So I wrapped the afternoon up with a Taylor's Boltmaker.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Maybe it's one of these:
View attachment 476233
A tonka bean? I don't know the beer and can't see the bean on the can clearly. However, as it's supposed to be chocolatey, perhaps it's a cocoa bean.
I've only ever tasted Tonka Beans in beer, and my conclusion is that they taste of... Tonka Beans.

This is a confused beer - not really very sour, and disappointingly un-damsony. Which is annoying, as I bought it for the damsons. It's got Simcoe hops in it, but they are fighting with all the other stuff. Not sure what the point of the apple is, and the sly inclusion of blackberry seems like a wheeze for skimping on the damsons. I'm afraid almost every so-called damson beer I've had since the sensational Stringer's is a bit of a let-down in comparison.

IMG_20190720_191844079.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Northern Monk/Wylam collaboration in the Northern Powerhouse collection is a rather spiffing sour IPA.
IMG_20190720_194628220_HDR.jpg

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I've only ever tasted Tonka Beans in beer, and my conclusion is that they taste of... Tonka Beans.

This is a confused beer - not really very sour, and disappointingly un-damsony. Which is annoying, as I bought it for the damsons. It's got Simcoe hops in it, but they are fighting with all the other stuff. Not sure what the point of the apple is, and the sly inclusion of blackberry seems like a wheeze for skimping on the damsons. I'm afraid almost every so-called damson beer I've had since the sensational Stringer's is a bit of a let-down in comparison.

View attachment 476279
The Stringers' truly was the canine's reproductive organs!:dance::okay: Salopian Mojave at the Fell Bar, Penrith was a most excellent chuggable session Pale...only 3%!

Top Bottom