Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Just got a message from Floris - BBNo taproom maestro. He got wiped out on his bike today at that Elephant and Castle. Dude that hit him stopped then buggered off. He’s in one piece but has a fractured coccyx. If you’re in BBNo territory give him a bit of CC:cheers:.
The E&C must be covered with CCTV. Bastard driver. I hope that CCTV gets him. I can get to BBNo Sunday afternoon. I'll see whether he's around.

U

User169

The E&C must be covered with CCTV. Bastard driver. I hope that CCTV gets him. I can get to BBNo Sunday afternoon. I'll see whether he's around.

Thanks DM!

Police said they can only do anything if there’s CCTV, so hoping your right. He’d appreciate a visit!

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
IMG_20180907_183320.jpg

Does what it says on the tin..... Citrus aroma with a bitter taste.

Very nice indeed..... Only 99p from Lidl

Salted Caramel Porter from the aptly named Meantime brewery in Greenwich

IMG_20180908_174133925.jpg

It's not bad. You get the salty caramel but there's a flavour there I don't quite like and can't quite identify, slightly metallic.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Thanks DM!

Police said they can only do anything if there’s CCTV, so hoping your right. He’d appreciate a visit!
I managed to get out to BBNo a day early and was surprised to see that there were now 2 BBNos, one a tap, the other a tasting room. As the tasting room was heaving I went into the rather improvised taproom. I asked after Floris, but not before ordering a Ginger and Grapefruit Saison. She said, ''He's fine.'' I said that I'd heard he'd a bike accident, she said he's up and about. When asked about the fractured coccyx, she replied ''We've all done that.'' What have I been missing in life after never managing to fracture my coccyx?

A couple of sips later, Floris walked in and I asked him about it. The van driver, seeing it was not terminal, said he was going to check for damage to the van (painters and decorators) and promptly drove off. I gather that cars continued to drive around him as he was lying in the road. He's still off the bike as moving from standing to sitting and vice versa is still too painful. There was some damage to the handlebars but he didn't seem to have really examined the bike since. (I think the 2nd tasting room was an overflow; Floris said that since pulling out of the Beavertown fiasco, they'd offered free beers - or a discount - to ticket buyers, so there were more people around than usual.)

The G and G saison was good, a bit timid on the grapefruit but more confident with the ginger which goes well with that yeasty mustiness I've come to expect from saisons.
P1000620.JPG

Back via Affinity, which has installed an upstairs indoor seating area since I last visited in early summer.
P1000621.JPG
A lovely Rhubarb and mixed berry saison called May, nice and fruity. (You wouldn't normally expect to see May, nice and fruity in one sentence.)
As Spartan is the next arch along and they had a mild, albeit a 'Light Mild' I felt obliged to.... Pleasing, easy drinking.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Anyhow, I was sitting outside Affinity drinking my rhubarb saison when a bunch of people came along. One of them was carrying a wooden bench, about 2.5m long, on his shoulder. As explanation, he offered a succinct reply: ''We're Danish,'' and plonked it down outside the entrance. Probably normal for the Saturday beer mile crowd.....

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
At risk of monopolising this thread, I popped into the White Hart, Waterloo, on the way back from the ToB race in London, wherein I chanced upon a Sierra Nevada Otra Vez, a ''Gose-style ale'' it said on the tap, loads of lime, agave too, apparently, but not knowing what that tastes like and not noticing any new and unfamiliar flavour, I'm none the wiser. A nice, refreshing beer.
P1000686.JPG

And onwards to the Deptford Taproom, where they had Fierce's Raspberry Tart Sour. A really tart and tangy beer, fearlessly flavoured. I've enjoyed it before and now I've enjoyed it again.
P1000690.JPG

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I had an advanced sampling of Hop Stuff/North Brewing Juicy Fruit Pale Ale last night. It's apparently going to be sold at Tescos. Like a fruity but mild sour, it's rather bloomin' good.
P1000695.JPG

I also had a pint and a third of Dry and Bitter's Dank and Juicy. Rich and lush. 2/3rds just wasn't enough....

While indulging, I also had a Hop Stuff South Easy. Pale, light drinking, possibly more of a summer drink than anything else but worth a try.

Top Bottom