Beetroot juice, good or not?

Is drinking beetroot juice beneficial for cyclists?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Suffolk Cycling

Apologies if this has been discussed before - I did do a forum search and only came up with posts about people being beetroot-faced from riding too hard!

Do any of you drink beetroot juice? Do you swear by the benefits, or is it just a clever marketing ploy?

I'm thinking of writing a blog post exploring it, so views/thoughts very welcome (and credited in the piece, of course).

I've started drinking it on the recommendation of a fast-riding friend. Tastes pretty grim xx(

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Plenty of scientific articles on it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
What are the claims for it? I think it's in some of the fancy juices my wife buys and we have some raw beetroot and ginger muesli in at the moment but I don't drink it specifically to improve my cycling.

I very much doubt that it is the single thing which makes your friend ride fast.

OP
OP
Suffolk Cycling

Suffolk Cycling

What are the claims for it? I think it's in some of the fancy juices my wife buys and we have some raw beetroot and ginger muesli in at the moment but I don't drink it specifically to improve my cycling.

I very much doubt that it is the single thing which makes your friend ride fast.

Beetroot is high in nitrate and is meant to increase the oxygen in the blood, and get the muscles working longer... so they say!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I voted yes because it's a vegetable and it's delicious!

Just back from the allotment where I picked some including the one below but they will be destined to become roast beetroot or beetroot gratin!
image.jpg

OP
OP
Suffolk Cycling

Suffolk Cycling

Impressive!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It formed a large part of a pre-op week long diet advice for people awaiting heart surgery and needing to drop the last few lbs before going in. Maybe juice would have helped as there is only so much raw beetroot you can eat in a week without wanting to scream.

Top Bottom