Beetroot juice, good or not?

Is drinking beetroot juice beneficial for cyclists?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I seem to recall that the beneficial effects are only really pronounced if you're quite unfit.
In fit/professional cyclists there was no measurable positive effect.

I posted a link on the last beetroot thread we had that suggested something like that, as I recall. There are a number of other articles on the subject just a web search away.

It's not the beetroot itself that does the trick, it's an enzyme produced in your saliva when you eat beetroot.

I didn't vote in the poll BTW because I have no idea whether there's a benefit or no.... but I do like beetroot!

Dammit, I love beetroot. When I'm catering for myself only, I'll eat so much beetroot that it starts to look like I have colon cancer. I make a fabo salad with roasted beetroot, orancges, red onions and a balsamic vinaigrette.

You can buy powdered beetroot at healthfood stores: I wonder if that has the same benefits?

The Jogger

Legendary Member
shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS76TIzhG1zas8tn7z2sxT6A-IELvdka9ciNP6lx3CgLJzmDGzP&usqp=CAE.jpg

delicious!

Just got some today, very nice.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS76TIzhG1zas8tn7z2sxT6A-IELvdka9ciNP6lx3CgLJzmDGzP&usqp=CAE.jpg

delicious!

I tried this on this recommendation and it is vile. I had to mix it with loads of fruit juice to get it down. They seem to have extracted only the worst part of the beetroot.

Sainsburys used to do a mixed veg with a lot of beetroot juice - that was nice but they don't make it any more.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
There was an article about it in Cyclist recently, I think they decided you needed to drink a lot of it (500+ ml at least?) and the effects were quite short lived. But then they are journo's, so who knows :-)

The Jogger

Legendary Member
From what I have read, beetroot juice has many health benefits. Since this thread I have been taking the Cawston juice 250ml a day. Now considering bulk buying :smile:

Trevor_P

I failed an HGV medical with hypertension back in 2012. After 5 months messing around with different meds, the one thing that had the biggest effect was Beetroot juice. 125ml a day 2 1/2 hours before the reading dropped the systolic by 25 points and the diastolic by 10-12 points. I still drink it today, even though it tastes terrible. Still take the meds too.

brand

Load of rubbish beetroot juice is the same as drinking orange juice you have removed all the goodness, well at least most of it. Buy the packaged stuff no vinegar just boiled. I could eat it all day. The sort of thing I will eat for breakfast or dinner. Take a break from it regularly just to check that it is not actually blood in your pee!

Last edited:

brand

Let's leave it with huffy post

“The researchers suggest the benefits of beetroot lay its nitrate content but it’s worth remembering other vegetables are rich in nitrates too, including green leafy vegetables like spinach. And nitrates aren’t the only good thing about fruit and vegetables so eat your beetroot and greens, but make sure you have a wide range of fruit and vegetables to make up your five-a-day.”

Professor Julie Lovegrove, of the Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences at Reading, said: "This new data strengthens the evidence for a beneficial effect of nitrate-rich foods in lowering BP, even at relatively low levels of dosage."
Eat it all every single bit. Including the leaves
http://www.readersdigest.com.au/5-ways-to-use-beetroot-leaves

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Love beetroot any in any form...always stick some of the unsweetened pre packaged stuff in my nutribullet pre ride/workout drink

Top Bottom