Beginner Looking for Advice on How to Begin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oakleaf

Regular
Hi all! First post so thought I'd introduce myself and get cycling!

I'm from rural Wisconsin, just started cycling and already have a bike. I am 60 yrs old, 60 lbs overweight - 5'10" 240#, military retiree with bad knees looking to lose weight and improve cardio. (Running is just too hard on my knees.) I've gone biking twice, short six mile rides. No problem with the legs including knees! Butt got a little sore, but no bid deal. However, my wrists get very achy (hands fall asleep). Is this something I'll get used to? Any recommendations on a program to start? Is there a "must have gear for newbies" section?

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
When I had this it was because I was locking my arms at the elbow and letting my hands take a lot of weight. I would suspect you do this too.

Your upper body should be supported by your core strength, and hands should only grip the bars quite lightly... not "death-grip".
If possible, post a side on video of your riding position, and detail your gloves and types of bar grips and someone may be able to offer a better opinion.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What kind of bike do you have? Particularly the handlebars. Flat bar or dropped handlebar?

Must have gear for newbies: a Bike!!

Plus I guess a spare inner tube, pump and puncture repair kit and knowledge how to use it.

alicat

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum @oakleaf. Your hands should not be hurting in any way. Either you're gripping too hard (easy to do when you're new to cycling) or your bike fit is wrong.

Have fun on your bike. You don't need anything else to get going.

vickster

Legendary Member
Some gel padded mitts might help as they put padding between the grips and the nerves in the palm.

Also, if it’s a bike with round grips, some ergo ones might help, you rest your palms lightly on a flat surface rather than having them curled round the grips. If it’s a roadbike with taped bars, a thicker tape may help (or an inner tube under the tape for extra cushioning)

OP
OP
O

oakleaf

Regular
Thanks everyone. I'm wondering if my bike doesn't fit properly. I put a lot of weight on my wrists. I don't have the core strength not to. If I sit up a bit where I don't need to put weight on bars then I can barely reach them. The good news is I'm still biking!

Attachments

• MicksBike.jpg
    MicksBike.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 21

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you shift the saddle forwards a bit on the rails so you can reach better? It’s hard to see from the photo but it looks quite far back close to the bag (good choice on that btw :okay:)

CXRAndy

Guru
It looks like you might need to reach forward too much to hold the bars.

Can you rotate the bars towards you and reposition the levers back to a comfy position

Numbs hands is common, I too suffer, but Im a seasoned rider these days. I get numb hands after several hours of riding. It takes time to build up conditioning im the arms, core strength and most importantly correct bike fitment

Last edited:

the snail

Guru
Can you shift the saddle forwards a bit on the rails so you can reach better?
Don't do that - it will put more weight on your hands. If anything, moving the saddle back to put less weight on your hands, or change the stem to bring the bars higher/closer, and as above, put the saddle level first.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That saddle is definitely tilted too far forward, which is throwing your weight onto your hands. Once you are a bit more seasoned you will find that squidgy saddle an irritant and it will be time to change to something firmer and better shaped.

Your knees are painful as a consequence of weight. Cycling combined with careful diet will take pounds off you and absolutely change your life for the better. Don't try running - you own a perfectly good bicycle, which will get you there faster and with less stress!

Read up on the web on saddle height. If you get that wrong you could injure your knees. A photo of you sitting on the bike would be helpful.

Top Bottom