Beginner questions - GPS and Shoes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry but I just do not and never had understood why anyone can have a problem with clipped in pedals.
It's really quite simple: if you misjudge unclipping then you cannot put a foot down and unless you can track-stand, you're going over. I see far more people fall clipped-on than not, but that is partly observer bias because I ride many of my miles with a group which has many clipped-on riders. Around town, crashes tend to be from stuff like misjudging the edge of the road, which isn't affected by clips.

The last clipped-on faller bruised her leg extensively and bent the derailleur hanger badly, leaving her with four gears to complete the ride. It was exactly the sort of fall which doesn't happen to non-clipping riders: she unclipped her left foot, stopped and stood on it, then looked right and overbalanced. Without clips, almost everyone would put the right foot down in time.

These days, I think I'd only try clips again if I was riding recumbent.

vickster

Legendary Member
1) just use your phone and strava unless needing directions (and even then you can use your phone). Spend a few quid on a secondary battery if needed

2) if commuting, presumably it's a bit stop start and you have have to walk. On that basis, I'd get SPD M520 pedals and some MTB type shoes with a recessed sole. Which depends on your budget and foot shape. Look at Wiggle, pick some you like the look of, buy a few pairs in your size and the size up (also read the reviews as often comments will be made around sizing). Return for free any that are no good
If commuting in all weathers, black or grey, much better than white!

Stevec047

Über Member
I use Strava on my smartphone and have a cheap cycle computer that was used whilst the bike was on the trainer. That way my phone is tucked safely away but I can still view speed and distance.

With regards to pedals I have only recently starting using spd's and love them. Just being able to keep your feet in a single position and put more power down and up has made a huge difference to my riding plus with the shimano a530 I have a flat pedal one side so when coming up to lights I can unclip and still be ready to pedal.

Reactions: 2IT

screenman

Legendary Member
Er, greenman ( :tongue: ), I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say they're dangerous, but they do complicate riding a bike.

If you feel they complicate riding a bike how on earth do you manage with gears and brakes.

Apologies for getting your name wrong, I was pushed for time and that is never a good time to post.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you feel they complicate riding a bike how on earth do you manage with gears and brakes.
Brakes are mostly simple and I've simplified my gears as much as possible (I mostly ride three speeds, while other bikes have 1x6 and 2x5 friction) but if you fluff gears, you don't usually fall, unlike clips.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I use North Wave trainer-style SPD shoes because they are extremely comfortable on the bike, when walking, and when doing everything else, including climbing ladders. Also, they don't smell, and they are great for people with wider feet. For pedals, I have Shimano M520s. Cheap, and they work. I've been on the same set-up for the last five years. I fell off about five times before I got used to them. You just bounce and giggle.

CaadX

As and when you get hooked properly lol

1 a garmin edge of some description

2 Look keo

until then I would not waste your money.

Okeydokey

I ride as part of a fitness thing so I ride to the gym/swimming pool. I have tried various bits and bobs for measuring, I am predominantly interested in heart rate. I sold a Garmin 310X and a Garmin FR60 and replaced them with a Huawei Y3 phone. That is the lowest cost phone available £40 incls £10 credit on some woolly network.
On the phone I have Starva, Garmin Connect has a very poor download speed but it does populate your spreadsheet with all kinds of useful and useless info.
I also have a TickrX from Wahoo, that provides me with cadence, speed etc. I use it in the gym, running, running on the treadmill were it does cadence as well, heart rate, calories burnt, HR zones and it goes on and on, all bluetoothed to my phone. Important to all this is the accuracy of the TickrX, the cadence on both the running without a foot pod, and cycling without something stuck to your bike is quite amazing tbh! The only short coming of the TickrX from Wahoo is there no way of directly patching info into Strava, but that is why I guess God invented Excel.
In respect of the shoes... blissful ignorance, thanks for asking. I currently use my running shoes and a pair of pedals that are never the right way up for some stupid reason.
Edit: lowest cost smart phone

OP
OP
CrackPuffin

CrackPuffin

I ride as part of a fitness thing so I ride to the gym/swimming pool. I have tried various bits and bobs for measuring, I am predominantly interested in heart rate. I sold a Garmin 310X and a Garmin FR60 and replaced them with a Huawei Y3 phone. That is the lowest cost phone available £40 incls £10 credit on some woolly network.
On the phone I have Starva, Garmin Connect has a very poor download speed but it does populate your spreadsheet with all kinds of useful and useless info.
I also have a TickrX from Wahoo, that provides me with cadence, speed etc. I use it in the gym, running, running on the treadmill were it does cadence as well, heart rate, calories burnt, HR zones and it goes on and on, all bluetoothed to my phone. Important to all this is the accuracy of the TickrX, the cadence on both the running without a foot pod, and cycling without something stuck to your bike is quite amazing tbh! The only short coming of the TickrX from Wahoo is there no way of directly patching info into Strava, but that is why I guess God invented Excel.
In respect of the shoes... blissful ignorance, thanks for asking. I currently use my running shoes and a pair of pedals that are never the right way up for some stupid reason.
Edit: lowest cost smart phone
Haha - you sound like me in regards to the shoes! Thanks for you advice on monitoring activities too :smile:

Top Bottom