Beginner questions - GPS and Shoes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CrackPuffin

Hi there, I have two questions that I would love some advice on please - Thanks in advance.

Just Number your responses 1. or 2. so it is clear which one you are answering :crazy:

1. What should I use for monitoring my bike rides?

At the moment I am using Strava and I am weighing up the possibility of getting a Garmin Forerunner 225 with HRM to keep all my info for me and then upload that to Strava OR I am thinking about getting a Wahoo HRM to go along side Strava and give it that information as I cycle along. Currently I just use Strava as I go to monitor my route, elevation, time and distance.

2. What should I buy for cycling shoes, pedals and cleats?

At the moment I am using a old pair of running shoes. I want to get a pair of cycling shoes with pedals and cleats so I can get it all set up. A friend said to get a Shimano set, but there are So many options. What should I go for?

jamin100

Guru
1. Do you run as well ?
If not a dedicated cycling computer may be better such as the Garmin 25/520. These pair with your phone and can auto upload to Garmin connect and sync with Strava

2. Do you plan to do much walking in your cycling shoes? Cafe stops, commuting etc

If yes, look at SPD systems
If no look at SPD-SL systems

Although either will really do its just SPDs are easier to walk in as the cleat is sunken into the sole of the shoe

OP
OP
CrackPuffin

CrackPuffin

1. Do you run as well ?
If not a dedicated cycling computer may be better such as the Garmin 25/520. These pair with your phone and can auto upload to Garmin connect and sync with Strava

2. Do you plan to do much walking in your cycling shoes? Cafe stops, commuting etc

If yes, look at SPD systems
If no look at SPD-SL systems

Although either will really do its just SPDs are easier to walk in as the cleat is sunken into the sole of the shoe
1. Nope - no running at all any more.
2. I am going to commute but doubt I will be doing much walking other than front door to bike and bike to desk (then back again).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This may sound dumb but what type of cycling are you doing.

Road racing, touring, MTB?

I dont use SPDs and neither do many people on here, but we dont race. I think most the racers use SPDs and Strava. A lot of the tourers use Garmin Touring.

It all depends.

Reactions: mjr

jim55

Guru
Well in that case garmin 25/520 or other bike specific system that will tie in with strava

For shoes - I'd still go spd ( not sl) spd are much more practical and get double sided pedals that are a breez to clip in (vs spd-sl that only have single sided pedals to clip in - prob quite easy once u get used to it ) but for commuting I'd go spd and pedals to suit

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
1. I just use my phone to record tracks which I copy to my computer and load into pytrainer just to see what mileage I did. I can't be bothered attaching GPS navigation to all of my bikes or trying to remember to move it between them: it's annoying enough having to swap which spare inner tube is in my bag ;)

2. Use whatever shoes are comfortable. :smile: I agree with @steveindenmark that there's not much benefit for non-racers, plus you get to avoid all the injuries from clipless falls.

OP
OP
CrackPuffin

CrackPuffin

This may sound dumb but what type of cycling are you doing.

Road racing, touring, MTB?

I dont use SPDs and neither do many people on here, but we dont race. I think most the racers use SPDs and Strava. A lot of the tourers use Garmin Touring.

It all depends.

Commuting mostly - with a Hybrid.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you just want to record your rides a smartphone is all you need. Not necessary to buy an expensive GPS device. You only need a GPS device if you want to use it for navigation purposes

I used SPD (with the recessed cleats) for a while and then changed to SPD-SL. I prefer SPD-SL as it feels more secure. Like you I only walk a few metres on a ride so they are fine for me. The difference in our rides is probably that yours is more "start-stop" than mine. If you've got loads of junctions, traffic lights etc etc you're probably better off not bothering with cleats at all

si_c

Guru
I'd go with just using your phone, especially if the most part of your journey is commuting. I used my phone for nearly two years before splashing out on a dedicated GPS device, but that was for other reasons than just recording data. As has been mentioned if you want more numbers, get a bluetooth HRM and/or cadence sensor and use them with strava and your phone, they'll cost about £20 each if you hunt around.

For shoes, I commute mostly, with the occasional longer leisure ride at the weekends and use SPDs, in part because the flat pedals I was using got very slippery in the rain, and I wanted the additional security, and not a huge fan of cages. It's nice to be able to walk properly, especially when other cyclists around you are crab walking, even more so in the rain when SPD-SL cleats seem to have very low friction on wet surfaces.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use a Garmin Touring which is excellent. The only downside is that it is not cheap. There are cheaper options.

I use to wear SPDs for many years but found they caused me knee problems on a regular basis, regardless of how I adjusted them. I decided to ride without and I dont have knee problems anymore.

You need to think if you need SPDs or are you just following a cycling trend. I think quite a few people on here have binned them over the past few months.

si_c

Guru
You need to think if you need SPDs or are you just following a cycling trend. I think quite a few people on here have binned them over the past few months.

Definitely, I got them in part because of the desire to have my feet fixed in place. Having bought a new pair of MTB pedals (Boardman flats) recently however it made me realise that I really don't need them, given that my feet barely shifted on the pedals whilst riding some very difficult (for me) terrain in North Wales.

So if you want them get them, but be aware that there may be better (for you) options available.

screenman

Legendary Member
1. I just use my phone to record tracks which I copy to my computer and load into pytrainer just to see what mileage I did. I can't be bothered attaching GPS navigation to all of my bikes or trying to remember to move it between them: it's annoying enough having to swap which spare inner tube is in my bag ;)

2. Use whatever shoes are comfortable. :smile: I agree with @steveindenmark that there's not much benefit for non-racers, plus you get to avoid all the injuries from clipless falls.

What clipless falls? I have as you know seen more people fall off of bikes when not clipped in than when they were.

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe that is because most people dont wear SPDs

Or people who are clipped in know what they are doing, not that unclipping is a conscious thing for most of us. Sorry but I just do not and never had understood why anyone can have a problem with clipped in pedals. If they were dangerous there would have been a few lawsuits by know I would hyave thought.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Or people who are clipped in know what they are doing, not that unclipping is a conscious thing for most of us. Sorry but I just do not and never had understood why anyone can have a problem with clipped in pedals. If they were dangerous there would have been a few lawsuits by know I would hyave thought.

I cannot see where it has been suggested that they are dangerous.

Top Bottom