Belly fat - how do I lose it quicker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Hi Vamp is this for me?? Im new to this, I look at the data roughly but dont analyze it as well as you do, well maybe not till now. So you suggest I set my max and min HR into my Garmin watch and off I go?

I ll put my strap and watch by my bed so can take resting hr in the morning

What do you mean that I will soon exceed my 188 heart rate? Is it a good or bad thing :blush:
What does indicate it the moment? Or shall I say what does it says about my ' fitness' at the moment? Go on tell me that painful truth :shy:

Thanks a LOT appreciate all your help! :girl:
And sorry to OP and readers for hijacking the thread :biggrin:

Yes it was for you :thumbsup: and you're welcome :welcome:

Your ''real'' HRmax is not going to change much, but the odds are that you haven't found it yet. Getting to the max is really hard. That's why I say that you will likely record a new high soon, as your data series is so far quite short. That's not a problem though.

TBH the actual heart rates (max and min) do not mean anything by themselves. They are only useful in context of tailoring the effort in your training to the kind of adaptation that you want to promote. While some people think that having a high max and a low min is somehow a sign of them being fit, it is not so. In a highly trained individual the max can increase, and the min does invariably drop, but it only means anything in relation to past data for that one individual.

Ergo I can conclude nothing at all about your fitness from your HR numbers. You will be able to though, in say a year from now, when you look back and compare your data.

Do you know how to set your zone percentages? If you are following a training plan then they may have been tweaked for you, alternatively I can post a generic list of appropriate percentages.

The main benefits of HR zone training, is that it helps you gauge effort more accurately. This means that when you're going for intensity, you can really hit the correct level (getting over 92% HR is much harder than anyone ever thinks) and when you are going for recovery/endurance, you can make sure that you don't work too hard. It is actually really easy to drift up to Zones 3 and 4, while thinking that you're still in Zones 1 and 2.

Good luck with it :smile:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I have a wahoo iPhone ant+ case that I use on the roadie to monitor cadence and speed. Is it worth getting a HR strap to go with it? They're quite expensive!

VamP

Banned
I have a wahoo iPhone ant+ case that I use on the roadie to monitor cadence and speed. Is it worth getting a HR strap to go with it? They're quite expensive!

Being of the ANT+ type, will this not work with your wahoo?

It depends on what your goals in cycling are. I would probably say that unless you want to compete in some way, then HRzone training might just be too much effort.

If you want to race, however, I would say it's essential! And if you think the strap is expensive, take a look at the cost of power meters :eek:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Being of the ANT+ type, will this not work with your wahoo?

It depends on what your goals in cycling are. I would probably say that unless you want to compete in some way, then HRzone training might just be too much effort.

If you want to race, however, I would say it's essential! And if you think the strap is expensive, take a look at the cost of power meters :eek:

Yeah thatll fit :smile: I'm not really sure at the moment where my cycling will take me (no gps jokes please ;)). I started off just trying to get fit, I'm fitter than I was but I now think I want to get REALLY fit! So I'm sort of thinking ahead. I'm also horribly competitive with myself!

I'm toying with joining a club too, but probably in the spring when I've pulled my fitness up a bit more.

VamP

Banned
Yeah, I know what you mean.

I bought my first road bike last May, thinking I might commute once or twice a week over the summer. 9 months later, I have ridden 4000 odd miles, done some time trials, 4 sportives, got my racing licence, raced a cyclocross series, and three road races. This year, I want to race a road season, followed by a cyclocross season, ride 6 - 8 000 training miles, and hopefully compete at the National Champs in cyclocross next January. Oh yeah, and MTB races too, but not sure how I'm gonna fit those in with Ms VamP's eventing, so I'm keeping kinda quiet on that...

It just kinda got outta hand.

What I would recommend is to get a good book on HR Zone training. That will help you to shape your thinking as to whether it's what you want to do, and is a cheaper first step than buying the strap. Also, that way when you get your strap, you'll already know how to use it.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Yeah, I know what you mean.

I bought my first road bike last May, thinking I might commute once or twice a week over the summer. 9 months later, I have ridden 4000 odd miles, done some time trials, 4 sportives, got my racing licence, raced a cyclocross series, and three road races. This year, I want to race a road season, followed by a cyclocross season, ride 6 - 8 000 training miles, and hopefully compete at the National Champs in cyclocross next January. Oh yeah, and MTB races too, but not sure how I'm gonna fit those in with Ms VamP's eventing, so I'm keeping kinda quiet on that...

It just kinda got outta hand.

What I would recommend is to get a good book on HR Zone training. That will help you to shape your thinking as to whether it's what you want to do, and is a cheaper first step than buying the strap. Also, that way when you get your strap, you'll already know how to use it.
wow :eek: youve done loads!!

book is a good idea :smile: cheers will look up and research

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I found that my weight REALLY started to drop off when I upped my milleage per week to 70+. So long as I put in 2 of those per month and watch my food intake it falls off at a safe rate.

Yes it was for you :thumbsup: and you're welcome :welcome:

Do you know how to set your zone percentages? If you are following a training plan then they may have been tweaked for you, alternatively I can post a generic list of appropriate percentages.

The main benefits of HR zone training, is that it helps you gauge effort more accurately. This means that when you're going for intensity, you can really hit the correct level (getting over 92% HR is much harder than anyone ever thinks) and when you are going for recovery/endurance, you can make sure that you don't work too hard. It is actually really easy to drift up to Zones 3 and 4, while thinking that you're still in Zones 1 and 2.

Good luck with it :smile:

Thanks Vamp. I dont know how to set % zones so if you can post that would be great! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Lien Sdrawde

Lien Sdrawde

Über Member
Just to add to this, rather than start a new thread.....

Would an hour or so before breakfast in zone 1 or 2 hasten fat loss, cos there's no other fuel than fat to burn after you've had a good kip???

ps. Tis a great forum this, and I really appreciate all the input people give.
Neil

qwiksilver

who needs a helmet
go train in a boxing gym and eat sensible i havent done any training for 7 months and now im over wieght but i know within 3 months i can burn that off with cycling,skipping(don't laff its not just for little girls),circut training,boxing and finally wieght lifting.
that hardest part is sticking at it as when you get to where you want to be you tend to become more relaxed in your approach to keeping it off so keep a pair of your old pants to remind you where you dont want to go bk to unfortunatly im bk in mine but i have been out of whack due to injury

Top Bottom