Belly fat - how do I lose it quicker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
:eek: I have seen liposuction done a few times - you'd never have it done if you watched it up close - not ever.

This is my umpteenth time at losing weight, and I have never used calorie counting - if someone has a linky to a trusted bit of advice i'd give it a try. Always amazes me how great this forum is when you need a bit of advice. Thanks again. Neil.
Its simple, cut out fats and you lose, I use it and it works.

Herbie

Veteran
Motivation is high at the moment in preparation for the year(s) ahead. I have a lot of fat on my belly and need some top tips on getting shut of it faster than I would do by just cycling.
I'm never sure if my technique with sit-ups is any good and last time I did them I ended up with one of my abdominal muscles quivering / going into spasm for some days afterwards.
Thanks, Neil

I have a Reebok weighted vest thats weighs 20 pounds when fully loaded.You can take weight out and make it lighter.I used it when ouy running and also when out on short trips on the bike...it is very comfortable to wear and will fairly help burn off the cals..don't know how much it cost as it was a present from her indoors...check out Reebok website see if they are still on the market.

Its simple, cut out fats and you lose, I use it and it works.

It works but cutting out essential fats isn't too healthy. Cutting man made fats is better, keeping fats from oily fish, lean meat, snuts (peanuts are legumes), cold pressed oils etc. Processed carbs should be cut down. Check out what's involved in any approach suggested here to see if it's workable for you and you can still enjoy your food. If it's an effort to stick to you'll be less likely to succeed.

If you want to make it simple long term you need to put the work in now. Read up on digestion, hormones, intestinal processes from multiple sources. You'll soon find out there's a champion and enemy for just about every food. It starts to come together quickly. Health is as important, if not more inportant, then weight loss. If you're unlucky you'll become a nutritional geek like me.

Like VamP wrote, if you're in zones 5-6 most of the time, you either cycle like Usain Bolt runs or something is up with your calculations (I'd bet on the latter).

Im definitely not Bolt but I thought that being a overweight (1 1/2 st- but being tall means that is spread nicely lol) meant that I work harder hence my higher rates. i regularly work on avg 160HR. If my garmin calculations are wrong is there anything I can do about it?

VamP

Banned
You can set up the zones anyway you like in say, Garmin Connect, and then download to your device. The first step is to establish your HRmax, if you run as well as ride be aware that your HRmax for running will differ to your HRmax for cycling. Then work out your zones as percentages of your HRmax.

Usually, the fitter you are, the higher your aerobic threshold (rate you can sustain long term) as a percentage of your maximum. But the shift is not huge, from about 85% of max to about 92% ultimately. Zone 6 is usually set from 92% to 100%, so by definition it's impossible to be in Zone 6 for more than a minute or so at a time.

You can set up the zones anyway you like in say, Garmin Connect, and then download to your device. The first step is to establish your HRmax, if you run as well as ride be aware that your HRmax for running will differ to your HRmax for cycling. Then work out your zones as percentages of your HRmax.

Usually, the fitter you are, the higher your aerobic threshold (rate you can sustain long term) as a percentage of your maximum. But the shift is not huge, from about 85% of max to about 92% ultimately. Zone 6 is usually set from 92% to 100%, so by definition it's impossible to be in Zone 6 for more than a minute or so at a time.

thanks Vamp
just checked my Garmin connect activities history and the max hr is in the 180's range, does this sound right?

220-37=183max hr
Avg 160hr = working at 85% of max HR (180max hr) which would be Zone 5???

Screenshot2012-02-07at194757.png

Attachments

• Screenshot2012-02-07at194757.png
    Screenshot2012-02-07at194757.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 32
There are various phone apps available where you can record your diet intake, it is pretty good to do this for a week or so and see just how many kcal is eaten per day, kind of puts the focus on those little hidden extras we are all prone to chowing down.

Are these your recorded figures? If yes than it looks like your HRmax is 206 or higher. Can you recall the circumstance of that particular figure?

Sorry what do you mean recorded figures? They have been downloaded from my Garmin Forerunner 410 with a Heart Rate Monitor chest strap. These activities are running and cycling.

VamP

Banned
Sorry what do you mean recorded figures? They have been downloaded from my Garmin Forerunner 410 with a Heart Rate Monitor chest strap. These activities are running and cycling.

I meant, are they 'yours'? :rolleyes:

You need to differentiate between running and cycling, because your HRmax will differ between these activities. So choose your highest recorded for running and highes recorded for cycling, and to simplify matters just assume that is your HRmax for those activities. The odds are that at some point (in a race or whatever) you will record a higher reading again - don't worry, just take that as your new HRmax, and adjust zones accordingly.

Average HR rates are largely meaningless, but looking at your HR graph over the whole activity can tell you a lot about where your effort lay. I would suggest using better software than Garmin Connect for that, something like Sport Tracks for example.

yes of course they are mine :rolleyes: lol ^_^

cycling.png

running.png

On my cycling my efforts lies on inclines and hills :blush:
On Running on speed work.

I am looking into Sport Tracks, am not very loyal to Garmin Connect but it looks like is not compatible with Macs :sad:

Thank you very much:thumbsup:

Attachments

• cycling.png
    cycling.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 48
  • running.png
    running.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 50
  • running.png
    running.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 33
  • cycling.png
    cycling.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 33

VamP

Banned
Take 188 for now, althought I suspect that you will soon exceed that, given how high your running HRmax is. When you do, just adopt the new high as your HRmax.

You will also need to establish your HRmin, which is best measured while still lying in bed before getting up in the morning. Then just set your zones as % in accordance with whatever training plan you're following, and off you go.

Take 188 for now, althought I suspect that you will soon exceed that, given how high your running HRmax is. When you do, just adopt the new high as your HRmax.

You will also need to establish your HRmin, which is best measured while still lying in bed before getting up in the morning. Then just set your zones as % in accordance with whatever training plan you're following, and off you go.

Hi Vamp is this for me?? Im new to this, I look at the data roughly but dont analyze it as well as you do, well maybe not till now. So you suggest I set my max and min HR into my Garmin watch and off I go?

I ll put my strap and watch by my bed so can take resting hr in the morning

What do you mean that I will soon exceed my 188 heart rate? Is it a good or bad thing :blush:
What does indicate it the moment? Or shall I say what does it says about my ' fitness' at the moment? Go on tell me that painful truth :shy:

Thanks a LOT appreciate all your help! :girl:
And sorry to OP and readers for hijacking the thread :biggrin:

Top Bottom