Best bike for an Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
I hoping to partake in a 110k audax in Norfolk soon and wondered what bike to use. Currently have a four year old specialized Allez - 16 speed, 23mm tyres - and a brand spanking 20 speed cx bike (11 - 34 cassette I think). If I put some decent road tyres on the cx (32 gators I was thinking), would this be better than the Allez, even though that is the actual road bike?

jiberjaber

Veteran
The most comfortable bike you have is the one to use :smile:

Wider tyres will certainly help in the comfort part of the equation. Its not a race but there is a max time allowed to get round within. If you are happy with the fit of your CX bike, then might be a good option (assume its got some space for water bottles and a bit of food etc?)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Whichever will be more comfortable over that distance. Any bike will do - it's just about how much you want to enjoy the ride. If you don't which is better - try one; if it turns out to be painful, use the other one next 100km ride.

100km is only, what 5-6 hrs including stops ? Hardly time to get sore ... ;)

What's the longest ride you have done thus far ? If you can do a 60km ride beforehand, that will give you a very good idea and, if you can do 60, you can do 100 - or even 110 ! :bicycle:

EDIT: @jiberjaber types faster than I do ... :laugh:

Any bike you can comfortably cruise at 20kph/12mph or faster would do. You'll see just about every sort of bike if you go to a few Audaxes.

If the distance is not a stretch for you, go on the bike you want to be seen on. If the distance is far for you, go on the most comfortable one. You'll need some wayfinding, so make sure there is room on the handlebar for satnav, mobile phone, or route sheet.

(20kph gives you time for a puncture and a solid cake break)

goody

Veteran
Either would be fine, if you've had the allez for 4 years I imagine you're comfortable on it. 23's would be fine. Unless the roads are horrendous near you the max I'd put on the CX is 28.

Check also if organiser requires mudguards to be used or not - may make a difference to which bike you choose
They've really stopped doing that, I've never even seen the requirement on any Audax I've considered entering.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-141/

Looks like a free control, therefore no obligation to sit in a cafe - the alleged reason for the rule. 3 infos in a 100km audax? OK, don't forget a pen!

(slow typing, so TMN to @mjray)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Unless the roads are horrendous near you the max I'd put on the CX is 28.
I'm sure @grellboy knows this, but other readers might be unfamiliar with the particularly rough chippings Norfolk has been using for the last couple of years... and of course, our time-worn arrowhead flints that make short work of anything weaker than kevlar (they go through the polyester layer in gators like it's not there...).

28s are the narrowest I'd ride on, but my joints are fubar... :laugh:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've done two audaxes round the Borders recently on similar routes. One on a carbon road bike on 23s, the other on a steel touring bike on 28s. To be honest it didn't make much difference. Ride whichever one you feel most comfortable/happiest on :smile:

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Actually I don't know very much about audax(es?), not even the correct plural lol! Sounds exciting though. Way finding? 3 infos? Bring a pen? Blimey! Sounds like The Goonies!

110Km isn't a long ride, as far as Audaxes are concerned. It's easily rideable in 8 or so hours, as long as the rider is reasonably fit, and doesn't have any impairment. The thing with the Audax, is that you have to be in a certain place, within a time control 'window'. For those two reasons, for this ride, I'd suggest using the lightest most comfy bike you can get access to. For an Audax of this length, I'd use a (light as possible) road bike, with 25 mm puncture resistant tyres. Continental GP 4 seasons would be ideal IMHO. If you really can't do quick puncture repairs on the roadside, sacrifice some rolling / handling characteristics and go for something like a 25 mm Schwalbe Durano +.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Before choosing to use your brand spanking new CX bike, I'd put a few miles on it to make sure it's all working OK, with the new tyres, and your 'contact points' are compatible. If you haven't the opportunity to do that, use the Allez.
'Hilly; Norfolk' as Noel Coward might have said. Unlikely you'll need the extra length of gear the 34-34 the CX offers at least for the audax you have in your sights.
110Km isn't a long ride, as far as Audaxes are concerned. It's easily rideable inside of 12 hours,
Audaces (?) have a minimum speed specification, so you can't take 12 hours for 110km; more like 7 (including any and all stops).

Last edited:
Top Bottom