Best bike for an Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Actually I don't know very much about audax(es?), not even the correct plural lol! Sounds exciting though. Way finding? 3 infos? Bring a pen? Blimey! Sounds like The Goonies!
:smile:

Click on the routesheet link on the bottom of the page. He's included some pretty detailed instructions (these are for last year, I'd expect to see them updated in the next few days). There's hardly more you need to know. The route sheet you may find puzzling. Ask questions, if you have any.

“MORLEY MEANDER”

113km Audax Brevet Populaire

25th April 2015 Start time 9.00am

Welcome to and thank you for entering Velo Club Norwich’s inaugural Audax ride!

Morley Village HallCan be found a short distance from the A11, Spooner Row junction heading in the Morley direction. The Hall is on Golf Links Rd which is off London Road. Postcode is NR18 9SU grid ref TM074 9977.

Parking There is parking at the hall but please park tidily so as to not waste space. Riding to the event would save the planet and ensure we don’t run out of space.

Food Biscuits, tea & coffee will be available from 8.00am. At the finish there will also be soup, filled rolls and cake available. As well as the Halesworth control you will pass shops in Hempnall, a small detour would take you into Bungay with many shops and cafes, another small detour in Fressingfield and you can also find another shop.

Facilities There are toilets and showers available.

Controls The control at the halfway point (Halesworth) will be commercial, so bring money with you. Here you will need to get your card stamped, please do this so our controller is not left waiting for you, who if the weather is fine will be waiting outside the Frapa Cafe, otherwise they will be inside. There are two other cafes in and opposite the market place off the other end of the thoroughfare (Pinkys and Tillys ) The Farmhouse Bakery does hot drinks and pasties etc also in the thoroughfare, there is a Spar shop and a pub further along the pedestrian thoroughfare. There are three info controls where you are required to answer a question found on your brevet card which will be issued at the start. Bring a pen.

This ride is to be ridden to Audax rules, which means we do not supply signage or vehicular support. It is recommended you carry extra clothing in case of weather change, basic tools, spare tubes in case of punctures and be competent at changing tubes on your own.

The ride should be ridden at a minimum of 15kpm with a maximum of 30kph. The finish control is open from 12.46pm to 16.32pm. Mud guards are not compulsory but a courtesy to other riders and more importantly cafe owners.

Safety There are several main roads to cross some of which have poor sight lines, please take care. Some lanes can be pot holed and gravel strewn – take care. There is a ford to cross at approx 99km, so again take care.

At km 82 you descend Mill Hill, this is very steep with loose gravel and an extremely sharp right hand bend at the bottom so do not descend fast.

Please ride safely and enjoy the day, we hope to organise more events in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Are you allowed to cheat with a satnav these days? Last audax I rode was when maps were cutting edge technology.

lpretro1

U can navigate by whatever means suits you and quite a number of organisers will issue a GPS file of the route too

lpretro1

They've really stopped doing that, I've never even seen the requirement on any Audax I've considered entering.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-141/

Looks like a free control, therefore no obligation to sit in a cafe - the alleged reason for the rule. 3 infos in a 100km audax? OK, don't forget a pen!

(slow typing, so TMN to @mjray)
Audax's own FAQs state following:-

"Is it right that mudguards and lights are compulsory?
AUK's regulations used to require mudguards - but not any more. Some events may require mudguards, but that depends on the individual organiser. In the Calendar, the code M indicates that mudguards may be required. Otherwise, they are not required, though their use might be 'encouraged' by some organisers." That's why I said to check - they do exist though I can't find one at the mo! :smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Most riders you see on Audax events these days are using some form of GPS. And it's a rare one where a track is not available somewhere, even if not from the organiser.
Lazy? maybe, but that's the actualité.

Racing Roadkill brings a British Cycling mindset to the discussion, which has strayed a bit from the question of the best bike to use. It's the bike you're most comfortable on, as others have said several times.
As long as you can get that bike round the course in time.

Top Bottom