Best bike for an Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Either bike would be fine provided its reliable .Only the op knows which he feels most comfortable on.

When I was doing a lot more audaxing than now I would sometimes use my Steel tourer with 32 c touring tyres and sometimes my Scott racing bike with 23c tyres . depended on my mood more than anything else both were comfy for 200 or 300k rides.

If forced to choose for him I would say ride the Allez as he is more used to it .

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I once made the wrong decision on the bike to use on a club 100km Audax - the new bike was great, but it was to be the longest ride I'd done on the new saddle at that time, and it was maybe 30 miles too far for my rear-end comfort! It's a relatively short ride by Audax standards but use the most comfortable bike.

I hoping to partake in a 110k audax in Norfolk soon and wondered what bike to use. Currently have a four year old specialized Allez - 16 speed, 23mm tyres - and a brand spanking 20 speed cx bike (11 - 34 cassette I think). If I put some decent road tyres on the cx (32 gators I was thinking), would this be better than the Allez, even though that is the actual road bike?

My decision as to which bike to use for 100/200km Audax rides is similar:

Aluminium frame, 23mm tyres, Shimano R501 rims, triple cs, ~13kg laden (a humble Triban)
Steel, 32 or 28mm tyres, 36h Sputnik rims, triple cs, 16-17kg laden (531ST 'fast tourer')

I've done 200km on both. Steel bike/ fatter tyres soak up more vibration though bike feels heavier for climbing. Alu bike is a harder ride though feels more nimble. What they have in common is a Brooks B17 saddle, which for me ended my search for something that was very comfortable for longer (/any) rides. I tend to double up mitts to help with any hand numbness... I have started reducing the tyre pressure in the front tyre to help with comfort, so tend to run 28mm at ~80psi, 23mm at about 85psi.

Sounds like your CX gearing would have more options for hills, and 32mm tyres slightly more comfortable - plus it's the new bike... ;-)

Some pics if interested... https://www.flickr.com/photos/25983110@N05/albums

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
My decision as to which bike to use for 100/200km Audax rides is similar:

Aluminium frame, 23mm tyres, Shimano R501 rims, triple cs, ~13kg laden (a humble Triban)
Steel, 32 or 28mm tyres, 36h Sputnik rims, triple cs, 16-17kg laden (531ST 'fast tourer')

I've done 200km on both. Steel bike/ fatter tyres soak up more vibration though bike feels heavier for climbing. Alu bike is a harder ride though feels more nimble. What they have in common is a Brooks B17 saddle, which for me ended my search for something that was very comfortable for longer (/any) rides. I tend to double up mitts to help with any hand numbness... I have started reducing the tyre pressure in the front tyre to help with comfort, so tend to run 28mm at ~80psi, 23mm at about 85psi.

Sounds like your CX gearing would have more options for hills, and 32mm tyres slightly more comfortable - plus it's the new bike... ;-)

Some pics if interested... https://www.flickr.com/photos/25983110@N05/albums
Nice pics. Been to Cotswolds three times but never with a bike. I imagine the hill that leads down into Broadway would be a pretty fearsome climb though!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't think I've done that one but the one a bit further along up the B4035 to Chipping Campden is nasty - well, it is when you already have 500km in the legs, as on last year's WCW 600.

Top Bottom