Best bike for an Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've only done a few audaxes (audices?) and I've heroically saved one small group from getting lost with my superior navigation skills (and GPS). On another I went the wrong way, and a group must have followed me as they whizzed past me while I was stopped wondering if I'd gone wrong. I then realised what had happened, and wondered whether to chase them down and tell them, but they had gone up a gurt big hill so I left them to it. I felt a bit bad about that.

You just can't believe that it isn't about power and cadence, can you. :rolleyes:
More about the weight ( and other things) about the bike, and the ability to get it round in time, and whether you can get a part you may need, but aren't carrying, to avoid a showstopper technical. It's not a huge distance, and quite a generous time allowance, but on a broken, (possibly obscure) yet comfy bike, that counts for nothing.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Most riders last weekend (Hard Boiled 300/Dorset Coast 200) had a GPS. Not clear how many were relying on them as a fair few in my time bracket were riding the course from memory (though this year Sunday was dry). By the way, most people also take them off and into the control stations (eg cafes, schools) - for security of possession.
As has been said a .gpx file is often offered, alongside the instructions (turn left/right/straight over/third exit). I think, rather than just loading the gpx file onto one's GPS, there is considerable merit in taking the instructions (which you'll likely print out and carry anyway) and recreating the route yourself (I use RidewithGPS) as this allows one to have a decent familiarity with what you can look forward to, where the hills are, and generally the climb profile and shape of the course. I carry a map too (ie page of atlas). Doesn't stop me getting 'mislocated' though but does help me recover efficiently from navigational error. @DCLane has a view on GPSs.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Taking the hint from my thoughts are that a GPS is useful but don't rely on it :blush:

I'm grateful to a fellow Audax rider who helped me when lost in North Wales last year in the dark after my GPS decided that it would stop working after Holyhead with a 200k overnight return leg still to go. That was a Bryton Rider 35 which I tried persevering with and then gave up.

I did do PBP just with a Garmin 200 but won't now rely on GPS alone. Instead I'll have a laminated copy of the route sheet on an A6 clipboard I just flip over en route. Also I check the major junctions in advance so I know what's coming.

The 600k E&W Coasts last June worked well with this approach; check route first, use a GPS with a paper copy as back-up.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It makes it a bit more skilful. Sat nav is lazy, fine for social / leisure rides, but I wouldn't allow them in the "U.K's toughest cycling challenge"

What's your source for the "UK's toughest cycling challenge" quote? It's not a description I've heard used of any audax. Sounds more like the kind of marketing spiel you'd get for a commercially organised sportive.

The challenge in audax is covering the distance under your own steam, it's not orienteering. (ETA: TMN to @jefmcg )

What's your source for the "UK's toughest cycling challenge" quote? It's not a description I've heard used of any audax. Sounds more like the kind of marketing spiel you'd get for a commercially organised sportive.

The challenge in audax is covering the distance under your own steam, it's not orienteering. (ETA: TMN to @jefmcg )
The LEL, it's AUK's 'flagship' Audax, The LEL website uses the phrase. "one of Britains greatest cycle challenges" so I did misquote it a bit TBH.

https://londonedinburghlondon.com/

I'm well aware it isn't orienteering, I never said it was, just that I'd ban sat navs, to add an extra bit of interest, for anyone who gets lost, and needs to get to a control.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The LEL, it's AUK's 'flagship' Audax, The LEL website uses the phrase. "one of Britains greatest cycle challenges" so I did misquote it a bit TBH.

https://londonedinburghlondon.com/

I'm well aware it isn't orienteering, I never said it was, just that I'd ban sat navs, to add an extra bit of interest, for anyone who gets lost, and needs to get to a control.

LEL 2017 will likely have signage in the vicinity of the controls (as it did in 2013) so that's all the interest taken out of it?
You could of course make a proposal to the AUK AGM that SatNavs be banned - if you can find a seconder?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've been on a number of Audax when a fellow rider's Garmin has suggested deviation from the routesheet's route - incorrectly. Invariably I have been correct in pointing this out, usually it's a case of Garbage in, Garbage out. For me part of the fun of an an Audax is checking out the route and the geography beforehand with a map - nowadays I mostly use BikeHike, and Streetview - rather than blindly following instructions.

PpPete

Legendary Member
But the route as described on the routesheet is not 'compulsory' - on nearly all AUK events, you can choose how you get between controls. There is no 'correct' or 'incorrect'.

But yes - agree with this bit
For me part of the fun of an an Audax is checking out the route and the geography beforehand with a map -

And by doing so one can sometimes spot mistakes on routesheets. Audax organisers are only human!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
And by doing so one can sometimes spot mistakes on routesheets. Audax organisers are only human!
Agreed. Things change. I have been guilty of relying on Streetview when preparing a Leisure ride routesheet stating 'signpost obscured', only to find in reality the hedge had now been cut, or 'no S/P' was no longer true. Sometimes roads are closed too.

Top Bottom