Best frying pan!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Back when the world was young and I was in my twenties, I bought a Mørsø cast-iron frying pan.

It's been great - no non-stick coating to worry about or flake off, no laminated bottom to come away if it's overheated, and it stays flat, so no burnt bits on the bottoms of my omelettes.

Thinner metal frying pans, as found in rented properties and holiday cottages, always seem to go 'dink' as the bottom gets hot, so that they're either convex or concave on the bottom. This means that much of the bottom isn't in contact with the hob, so the temperature varies across the surface, and liquid contents like egg are deeper in parts than others, leading to uneven cooking and burning.

Yes, things sometimes stick, but not usually if you use enough oil, don't overheat stuff and keep things moving. Use more oil! If you don't like oil, why are you frying stuff anyway!? I usually scrape all the food to one side of the pan, take it off the heat and prop it up so the floor is sloping on a stainless steel tool for a moment or two after cooking so that surplus oil drains off and away from the food.

If there's stuff stuck on it, I can clean it up with a scouring pad - or a wire brush if need be - and it'll be none the worse.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't agree. TK Maxx is usually stocked with:

1) cheap stuff were they own the name.
2) branded goods made specifically for them, these will be a lower quality than you'd expect for that brand;
3) proper branded stuff, this is usually production over runs/ over stocks / end of lines, that are sold to TK at a clearance price which lets them sell to the consumer at stupid prices and still make a margin.

it's finding the 3) that is the key to shopping at TK.
you missed number 4, seconds. They clearly sell them if you care to look.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
This isn't true at all in my experience. I've bought a fair amount of stuff over the years (going back to before most folks knew they existed) -I don't recall ever finding a fault on anything.
Or am I blind?
I’m a serious TK max shopaholic :whistle: . I struggle to see any faults to be honest. We have bought shed loads of stuff from them including furniture . Cracking deals to be had if you keep an eye out :okay: .

However back to frying pans I’m watching for recommendations.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
When in France, we bought a frying pan in a supermarket (Le Clerc), with a British sounding brand name (Prestige). It was about 15 Euro. Was not aware of the brand in Uk. Subsequently managed to buy another in UK, via EBay. Had them 6 or 7 years now, still in good shape.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I just did a frying/saute pan inventory because it's raining and I'm a very dull person😊
All induction-happy by the way.
  • SKK non-stick 30cm saute and lid - cracking pan, does big stir frys and much else.
  • Nesbits Vogue 24cm non-stick saute and lid - probably the most versatile pan we have, used for all sorts.
  • SKK 30cm fry pan non-stick. Lid for saute also fits.
  • 30cm cast iron ridged griddle. For posh foods with lines :whistle:
  • An old 24cm Le Creuset non-stick (in a former life!) frying pan and lid by Nesbits (they got confused about lids when supplying one for the Vogue). Used when I'm happy to throw big heat at something like a couple of steaks - non-stick's knackered anyway.
  • A re-replacement (yep, a replacement for the replacement - what did I say about Le C & warranty!) 24cm frying pan for eggs, omelettes and the like. Shares lid with the above.
  • A 20cm LeC non-stick fry pan, ordered as a re-replacement for the pan two above, and I got my measurements mixed up. Le C said I was daft but they liked me so they sent me a 24cm replacement too.
Told you I was dull :tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
So what’s the recommendations, non stick just get ruined in this house ! Never last long !?
What brands have you tried? Don't try them again :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Non stick seem to have a finite life. But never mind, I'm sure there will be an appeal for them soon to be melted down to make Spitfires or whatever for when bullyboy Putin decides to invade Ukraine.

When in France, we bought a frying pan in a supermarket (Le Clerc), with a British sounding brand name (Prestige). It was about 15 Euro. Was not aware of the brand in Uk. Subsequently managed to buy another in UK, via EBay. Had them 6 or 7 years now, still in good shape.
Prestige was British but now that company is effectively history I think. Once in a beach house in the med I found a metal slice flipper of theirs that had been rivet repaired. Probably still going.

Prestige had a big place in Burnley. Now a retail park I think :sad:

Last edited:
The IKEA ones we use, we have 2, are ceramic coated. Easy to use easy to clean. As we have them (blue with white ceramic), no longer available, but maybe there's an equivalent in the range. On the back of these, I got a similarly coated wok, and am similarly impressed.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Well-engineered cast iron. No teflon, no synthetic handles to melt when you do a fry-grill combination, ditto for fry-oven combinations, clean with wire wool and oven cleaner if you need to or want to; but with a dob of goose fat generally behaves like a non-stick pan and can be cleaned in the normal washing up or in the dish-washer. Lasts at least one lifetime — put it in your will — around £25.00 inc. VAT. Details here.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We got a set of cast iron pans including 3 frying pans of varying sizes years ago and they are still in use and somehow make better curries than any others. Also a cast girdle for pancakes, scones, oatcakes and flatbread. Never gets washed but a wipe with a tissue and cooking oil keeps it fresh.

Top Bottom