Best Hybrid bike £500 or under?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LC155

Hi all,

Haven't ridden a bike since I was around 14. 18 now. I'm looking to get into cycling as a way of keeping fit and for recreation (I'm also doing weightlifting so thought it would be good for cardio).

I live in a rural village, so while the roads are mostly clean, there are some dirt paths that I would have to take some times. Nothing extremely off road though, so I thought a hybrid bike would be best for me. (Back when I was younger I used a cheap Apollo MTB)

All in all, half of the time would be spent on road, the other half on marked paths/cycle paths.

Now, since I'm a complete novice as to what 'is what' with cycling, I'd like to ask for your opinions on what the best hybrid bike for 500 or lower is. I've seen a lot of contenders (most on evans cycles, have heard bad things about halfords), but can't make up my mind exactly.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a Specialized, but would go for a Trek next time I think - light and quick - may want slightly chunkier tyres, the slicks are ok for most stuff though

This for £500 would be on my list - find a friendly local bike shop, get a decent deal and some freebies/discounts. Where are you based? Evans are accommodating for test rides, as should an LBS be, while Hellfrauds are rubbish

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/73-fx-2011-hybrid-bike-ec023963

OP
OP
L

LC155

I have a Specialized, but would go for a Trek next time I think - light and quick - may want slightly chunkier tyres, the slicks are ok for most stuff though

This for £500 would be on my list - find a friendly local bike shop, get a decent deal and some freebies/discounts. Where are you based? Evans are accommodating for test rides, as should an LBS be, while Hellfrauds are rubbish

http://www.evanscycl...d-bike-ec023963

Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm based in Aberdeenshrie - the only local place I think is in Peterhead - Hellfords. :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm based in Aberdeenshrie - the only local place I think is in Peterhead - Hellfords. :sad:

Bike shop here in Peterhead, has a reasonable range of brands, Claude Butler and Dawes are decent for hybrid/trekking stuff

http://www.duncanscycles.co.uk/

Decent choice in Aberdeen

Edinburgh Cycles have good specs for decent prices

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/srv.a4d?f_pg=ourstores.htm&f_Cardinal=12

Couple of others in Holbourn Street according to Google

http://www.alpinebikes.com/ Have Trek

http://www.holburncycles.co.uk/

Good luck :smile:

I can only say this from personal experience but would not buy from Halfords again. Bought a hybrid last May (2010) and made a total of 14 visits back over the last year and never really had it running properly in the whole time. Staff were friendly and eager to help but often resolved one problem and created another! I ride a Specialized Sirrus and absolutely love it! It's very light and nippy on my commute and is comfortable for longer rides at the weekends. I also think the Trek that Vickster suggested is a decent bike (I narrowed it down to these two when buying). Good luck!
p.s. If you are paying by cash there are a lot of deals/discounts to be had out there. Especially from the LBS...don't be afraid to ask what they can do on the price :-)

Alpine bikes are pretty good, always been helpful (I stay a minutes walk away when working in Aberdeen). They have 2 premises next to each other, one is the workshop, one the shop.

Holburn bikes. Only popped in once but didn't seem as welcoming.

Edinburgh bikes seem ok as well. While I was having a look around the place overheard a snatch of conversation of someone getting advice on buying a bike and it sounded solid and sensible. Something like this Giant may suit you but really best to go talk to them. Their own brand 'Revolution' are good value too. Really depends on how rough the off road paths are.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I ride a 2011 Trek Fx7.3. It's plenty good enough for my needs.

You can pick up a 2011 model for about £450 now.

I got mine from Evans, which is a problem for you, as IIRC Trek's terms of business require that all bikes have to be collected from the shop, so they are set up correctly.

The Boardman Hybrid's are good bikes, from Halfords.

OP
OP
L

LC155

I can only say this from personal experience but would not buy from Halfords again. Bought a hybrid last May (2010) and made a total of 14 visits back over the last year and never really had it running properly in the whole time. Staff were friendly and eager to help but often resolved one problem and created another! I ride a Specialized Sirrus and absolutely love it! It's very light and nippy on my commute and is comfortable for longer rides at the weekends. I also think the Trek that Vickster suggested is a decent bike (I narrowed it down to these two when buying). Good luck!
p.s. If you are paying by cash there are a lot of deals/discounts to be had out there. Especially from the LBS...don't be afraid to ask what they can do on the price :-)

Yeah, I've heard all the usual horror stories about Hellfrauds. Sucks.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Specialized Sirrus/Sport (Not sure on the difference between the normal and sport version though, except from maybe smaller tyres which I guess would rule that one out) and the Trek Vickster suggested. To be honest, I'm thinking the Trek looks better suited to the slight off road I'd do - the Sirrus resembles a city bike too much I'm thinking and the Trek would cope better.

Also seen a Specialized Crosstail - is that more of a MTB Hybrid than a road one? Seems to look that way.

I was originally hoping to order online from a reputable place (like Evans) and then if something went wrong could cart it off to the LBS... Looks like I'll have to take a trip to the LBS anyway - a pain when you're 18 and Aberdeen is like 30ish miles away. :tongue:

Alpine bikes are pretty good, always been helpful (I stay a minutes walk away when working in Aberdeen). They have 2 premises next to each other, one is the workshop, one the shop.

Holburn bikes. Only popped in once but didn't seem as welcoming.

Edinburgh bikes seem ok as well. While I was having a look around the place overheard a snatch of conversation of someone getting advice on buying a bike and it sounded solid and sensible. Something like this Giant may suit you but really best to go talk to them. Their own brand 'Revolution' are good value too. Really depends on how rough the off road paths are.

I see, I'll have to check out Alpine and Edinburgh bikes then, although I don't think either of them carry the Trek that Vickster suggested from what I seen on the websites, unfortunately (what a pain).

As for the roughness of the roads, well, some of the rural paths will have the occasional pothole - nothing serious I would imagine as I'd make sure to avoid the huge ones. Other than that, the cycle and walk paths are pretty flat from all the people who have walked on it. The cycle path that I'd use to start off is an old railway line - so it's not horrendous or anything. And seeing as I don't do real off road biking I'd be fine in that regard. Maybe once I'm really into my biking I can get a MTB for those! :tongue:

I ride a 2011 Trek Fx7.3. It's plenty good enough for my needs.

You can pick up a 2011 model for about £450 now.

I got mine from Evans, which is a problem for you, as IIRC Trek's terms of business require that all bikes have to be collected from the shop, so they are set up correctly.

The Boardman Hybrid's are good bikes, from Halfords.

Argh, there's ALWAYS something. I seemed pretty set on buying the Trek, seeing as I liked the look of it better than the Sirrus (I find that frame a bit weird) :sad:

Boardman is a but out of my price range, unfortunately.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, Crosstrail is like a heavy rugged Sirrus with chunky tyres (that you could always change) and front suspension - you'll want lock out forks but I think that will go over your budget this year - Specialized seemed to lower their prices a bit this year, but lower the spec even more!

Why not head to that other bike shop in Peterhead on Saturday and see what they have. There are loads of good bike makes with hybrids under £500 - I have only had Trek and Specialized so cannot comment myself. Giant are good, they won't be the world's largest bike manufacturer for nothing, then there are the UK brands (although everyone makes their frames in the Far East, nationality just depends on where the global marketing team live :whistle: )

OP
OP
L

LC155

Yes, Crosstrail is like a heavy rugged Sirrus with chunky tyres (that you could always change) and front suspension - you'll want lock out forks but I think that will go over your budget this year - Specialized seemed to lower their prices a bit this year, but lower the spec even more!

Why not head to that other bike shop in Peterhead on Saturday and see what they have. There are loads of good bike makes with hybrids under £500 - I have only had Trek and Specialized so cannot comment myself. Giant are good, they won't be the world's largest bike manufacturer for nothing, then there are the UK brands (although everyone makes their frames in the Far East, nationality just depends on where the global marketing team live :whistle: )

Ah, I see. I don't think I'd need something like that, considering these are the worst paths I could imagine taking the bike through (crappy phone pics though! :tongue:)

http://i.imgur.com/tj3sW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RZ6dT.jpg

How did the specs change this year? So you're saying (for example) the 2010 basic model Sirrus is better than the 2011 version? :tongue:

And I'll assume the Sirrius Sport is a more road bike version, not suitable for those paths?

I should probably try that out, yes, but not this Saturday, got work!

Edit: As far as I am aware, Specialized and Trek are both brands that come from Giant themselves?

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmmm that is actually quite a rough track for a Sirrus I'd say and Trek 7.3

I can only comment on the Sirrus Sport, but yes, I got a 2010 model rather than a 2011 as it was a much better looking bike IMO, had bar ends, ergo grips, toe clips (which I ditched by hey) and maybe other stuff. The 2010 was £499 RRP, the 2011 £449

The Crosstrail would be good for those paths, maybe with slightly thinner tyres

The Sirrus and 7.3 are fast hybrids, basically road bikes with 28mm tyres (rather than 23mm), flat bars with the applicable gears and brakes. The geometries are afaik quite similar to the more relaxed road bike equivalents.

I don't think Spesh and Trek are made by Giant but are the main competition (esp. in the US)

OP
OP
L

LC155

Hmmm that is actually quite a rough track for a Sirrus I'd say and Trek 7.3

I can only comment on the Sirrus Sport, but yes, I got a 2010 model rather than a 2011 as it was a much better looking bike IMO, had bar ends, ergo grips, toe clips (which I ditched by hey) and maybe other stuff. The 2010 was £499 RRP, the 2011 £449

The Crosstrail would be good for those paths, maybe with slightly thinner tyres

The Sirrus and 7.3 are fast hybrids, basically road bikes with 28mm tyres (rather than 23mm), flat bars with the applicable gears and brakes. The geometries are afaik quite similar to the more relaxed road bike equivalents.

I don't think Spesh and Trek are made by Giant but are the main competition (esp. in the US)

Really? Blast. I thought that off road was quite tame compared to what some would do. I was almost set on the Sirrus as I don't think you can get a Trek outside of Evans Cycles, at least none of the LBS would have one. Ah well.

I had a look at the 2010 version and yeah, it looks a lot better. Too bad it's been discontinued everywhere at this point I would imagine.

Crosstail sounds good, although I'd have to sacrifice speed for it.

Yeah, I had heard about those 28mm tyres and did some research. At least, from personal opinions of people they could ride in just about anything except mud using 28, so I figured the Sirrus would be good. Guess not. :tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member
My Sirrus has 28mm, I do find it quite skiddy on stones and wet, especially drain covers etc.

No you don't need an MTB for those paths, all a bit depends on how fast you want to take them and whether you will ride when wet etc (actually you are in Scotland, so it's always cold and wet lol), but I would want more rugged tyres than the Sirrus, but maybe not as chunky as the Crosstrail.

I had a 2010 Crosstrail Sport which I sold as rather heavy for my mainly road riding (I bought after a crash and nasty knee injury to get back into cycling), but it was way more comfy over the potholes and rough stuff than the Sirrus.

I don't think you'll find a 2010 Sirrus Sport now new - how tall are you btw?

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m9b0s18p6869 Claim to have them, but phone before parting with any cash or your credit card number

Now I have a carbon road bike, I want to upgrade from the Sirrus too, nooo! :whistle:

OP
OP
L

LC155

My Sirrus has 28mm, I do find it quite skiddy on stones and wet, especially drain covers etc.

No you don't need an MTB for those paths, all a bit depends on how fast you want to take them and whether you will ride when wet etc (actually you are in Scotland, so it's always cold and wet lol), but I would want more rugged tyres than the Sirrus, but maybe not as chunky as the Crosstrail.

I had a 2010 Crosstrail Sport which I sold as rather heavy for my mainly road riding (I bought after a crash and nasty knee injury to get back into cycling), but it was way more comfy over the potholes and rough stuff than the Sirrus.

I don't think you'll find a 2010 Sirrus Sport now new - how tall are you btw?

Now I have a carbon road bike, I want to upgrade from the Sirrus too, nooo! :whistle:

Ah, I see. So an upgrade of tyres to say Armadillos wouldn't help?

I would probably take those paths at average riding speeds, not plowing through them. As for riding in the wet, I'd try to avoid it. I'd hate it. (Haha nono, you're thinking of the west side. The east side of Scotland is quite tame compared to the west).

Man, this is a pain. :tongue:

I'm currently pretty short, at around 5'6. However, I'm a pretty slow grower and my brothers have all ended up around 5'10/11ish, so I'll probably hit that in my 20s or something, haha.

Edit: Did that version ever come in plain black? Would go with the white, but I prefer plain black. :biggrin:

Top Bottom