Best recovery food post-ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Thanks for all the replies to my initial question.

on the saddle?
High carb vegan. Armstrong was on vegan diet for most of his TdFs. Including post cancer. I could name more

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Rude when speaking to dull people sorry, it is my flaw. :smile:
First off, you're not speaking. You're typing. You have the ability and the time to make considered responses that don't risk causing unnecessary offence. Use it, please.
Secondly: Disagreeing with you does not, ever, define that person as 'dull'. Or, for that matter, 'wrong'.

ayceejay

Guru
Simple carbs (ie sugar) will indeed give you a quick lift but will dissipate as quickly and this will do nothing for recovery.
After any strenuous exercise the body needs to replace what has been lost during the exertion and in an athlete or someone who rides a lot this needs to be done fairly quickly and efficiently to prevent any shortage at the start of the next session. Someone who only rides occasionally will recover with normal rest and diet over a longer period with no problem. I think protein and carbohydrate in the correct balance is what is needed to replenish glycogen stores and assist with muscle nourishment.
Back in the day I used to make a concoction that was known as 'Tigers Milk"
Large glass half milk/half orange juice
1 dessert spoon brewers yeast
1 dessert spoon molasses
Mix thoroughly
I guess you could add some whey powder to this with no problem but I never did.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Simple carbs (ie sugar) will indeed give you a quick lift but will dissipate as quickly and this will do nothing for recovery.
After any strenuous exercise the body needs to replace what has been lost during the exertion and in an athlete or someone who rides a lot this needs to be done fairly quickly and efficiently to prevent any shortage at the start of the next session. Someone who only rides occasionally will recover with normal rest and diet over a longer period with no problem. I think protein and carbohydrate in the correct balance is what is needed to replenish glycogen stores and assist with muscle nourishment.
Back in the day I used to make a concoction that was known as 'Tigers Milk"
Large glass half milk/half orange juice
1 dessert spoon brewers yeast
1 dessert spoon molasses
Mix thoroughly
I guess you could add some whey powder to this with no problem but I never did.
They do discipate quickly. Because they can be ingested faster they are used faster or rather simply just pulled out of the blood down to a celular level faster than complex.

Protein is indeed proven to speed glycogen replacment. However the ratios are very low and something you can accomplish by solely eating apples pretty much.

The milk argument is out because high fat high protein disrupts and slows down this process so you're losing either way. And if you take skimmed rather than full fat you're losing the protein anyway so just launch in skip and don't listen to muppets.

50000tears

....[rude quoted post deleted]...

I'll try this one more time for my own sanity. Jason you do yourself no favours by making personal attacks on people who don't share your view. Just because you choose not to drink milk does not make it something only a certain social class of fat people drink. I choose to make milk a part of my recovery and weigh 61kg, am I fat? Uclown also drinks the white stuff, is he fat and a sloth putting up the numbers he does day in day out?

Whether you drink milk or not is a choice and and not a right or wrong. Calling people out who don't do things your way is simply childish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I pity the poor OP. all he wanted was some simple dietary advice concerning post ride recovery! :ohmy: Instead he's responsible for another forum slanging match.

If you want to be the perfect athlete capable of riding a perfect race in your own perfect little world, then 3:1 carb to protein is probably the way to go. :thumbsup: (With the addition of that D-Ribose I mentioned earlier!) But,for the rest of us, who aren't aiming for perfection, a chocolate milk-shake will do just as well! :thumbsup:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Mod message: I've deleted quite a few posts, and removed the odd bit of personal attack/rudeness from some others.
Any further personal attacks will result in a thread ban, @JasonHolder (and @jowwy - please try not to respond in kind). If there are further personal attacks here, please can folks just report the post and not retaliate in the thread?
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Someone's holding Lance Armstrong up as an example...most would probably rather avoid the "diet" he used to win the TdF. Maybe he told a few fibs about his diet too and had a Morton's loyalty card (or KFC on speed dial). Perhaps he thought pizza is vegan too?

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom