Best recovery food post-ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Carnivores. You know, animals with specific digestive tracts and jaws+teeth +decent hunting senses.
Steak must be a good recovery food, after all Contador seems to like it:rolleyes:

sazzaa

My purpose was to point out that your suggestion that soya milk is more healthy and nutritious than dairy might not be as true as you think. In the context of the subject under discussion this is quite relevant.
As for the rest of it, you could always have re-read your post and replied something like "Oh yeah, now you mention it I didn't make myself clear". I guess that that isn't in your nature though and you just prefer fighting like a cornered badger.

I made myself perfectly clear, you just read it wrongly - not once did I say that soya milk is more healthy and nutritious, so give it up. And I stated the reasons I prefer alternatives to cow's milk. Again, do you have anything interesting to add to the discussion?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I made myself perfectly clear ...

all due respect Sazzaa, but you didn't. I think it was the use of the word 'unhealthy' that created the ambiguity in your statement.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Google something like "cows milk, blood and pus" and check out the results. Now even if there's not an ounce of truth in any of it, I'd still rather take the non-cows milk option for the majority of the time. It's become so normal to drink animal milk that we don't even think about the weirdness of it, the dairy industry is so huge and so misleading in terms of health and nutrition, not to mention dairy farming being fairly barbaric... Yeah there are probably one or two benefits of drinking cows milk but not on the scale that most of us have been brainwashed to believe.

You haven't produced a shred of evidence to support your claim - and vague allegations of some unsubstantiated Global Dairy Conspiracy don't really count. The fact is, milk hasn't evolved to make people fat. It's evolved to make calves grow. That requires high quality protein. It thus is no coincidence that cow's milk is a rich source of protein. And proteins are made of amino acids. The process of digestion breaks those proteins down to amino acids, which are then rebuilt as needed to form the required proteins. Given that approximately half of the lean mass of a calf, as most mammals, is muscle, it should be of little surprise that milk is actually good for rebuilding damaged muscle.

And we have evolved to drink milk. Before agriculture, very few humans carried the gene for lactase, the enzyme required to properly digest the lactose in milk. Now the majority of people have that gene.

ayceejay

Guru
They do discipate quickly. Because they can be ingested faster they are used faster or rather simply just pulled out of the blood down to a celular level faster than complex.

Protein is indeed proven to speed glycogen replacment. However the ratios are very low and something you can accomplish by solely eating apples pretty much.

The milk argument is out because high fat high protein disrupts and slows down this process so you're losing either way. And if you take skimmed rather than full fat you're losing the protein anyway so just launch in skip and don't listen to muppets.
Jason: although this thread has taken a strange but predictable turn none of what you say here has any factual basis and I feel it my duty to point that out.. I take that back, yes protein and fat slows the absorption of carbohydrate (a fact that you both agree and disagree with) which is the point, ie to slow it down.
Your pontification aside for a minute you need to look into nutrition especially as it relates to athletes with a bit more humility.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I rather pity the OP! An effective recovery food will aid in the replenishment of depleted energy stores and repair of damage to muscles.

For short rides, less than about an hour, most energy comes from glucose stored in the muscles as glycogen. Foods rich in carbohydrates will aid in rebuilding glycogen: bananas, bread, pasta, mars bars... There is a 2 hour window after exercising when you can more effectively rebuild glycogen, so eating during that time, and ideally within the first half hour, is a good idea. There are often microscopic tears in the muscle fibres, taking in protein will promote faster repair. Milk is good for this - but you'll also need carbohydrates for the glycogen. Chocolate milk has both! As others have said, a combination of proteins and carbs is best. The most important thing is the carbohydrate, as you've only got a relatively short window of time when it will give you the most benefit.

Top Bottom