Best recovery food post-ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul Gee

As I get fitter I am riding further. I read somewhere that one should eat protein after a ride. Is that correct and if so what should I eat to help my weary body and muscles recover as quickly as they can?

What do you folk scoff after an invigorating ride?

Milk.

uclown2002

Guru
Another vote for large glass of milk. That's all the protein you need post ride.
Although I have mine skimmed and mixed with oats, dried fruit and a banana.

Last edited:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Think it should be mostly carbohydrates with a smaller amount of protein for us cyclists for recovery unless you're a body builder who sits on a bike occasionally! :rolleyes:

Just started popping D-Ribose capsules from Holland and Barrett retailing at about £13 for a hundred. I'll report back in a couple of months on their effectiveness. :boxing:

sazzaa

Milk after a cycle seems weird to me! I usually just replenish fluids, since I barely touch water during a ride. Then have a proper meal later on with plenty veg. It's not protein you need, it's amino acids (they're the things that help your body make protein, ingesting protein is a bit pointless and doesn't have the same effect as far as I understand) so things like seeds, grains, legumes, nuts and veg will have you sorted in no time.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
k it should be mostly carbohydrates with a smaller amount of protein for us cyclists for recovery unless you're a body builder who sits on a bike occasionally! :rolleyes:

Just started popping D-Ribose capsules from Holland and Barrett retailing at about £13 for a hundred. I'll report back in a couple of months on their effectiveness. :boxing:
D-ribose is THE most effective legal supplement i have ever taken. It is simply that good!

As for the milk comments.... What a bunch of clowns to be quite frank.

In short-you need carbs. High protein intake post ride has zero effect on speeding recovery and you would find if you researched it, as well as high fat- to be dehydrating.

So onto sugar, you want the type that everyone tells you not to eat. Yes the simple kind. It requires less digestion time than complex. and that is what we are looking for.

Complex ingested @2calories per minute.

Simple ingested@20calories per minute.
4calories per gram of carbs.
Aiming for 60-100g carbs in the first 30min off bike. Avec plenty of water.

So real fruit juice is my winner, 1liter has 400+kcal so 100g of carbs., or coke or anything like that.
Honey/syrup on pancakes/bread/bagels. Or just honey if youre like that...

That said-if you arent even getting your 5 a day. Then being so precise with calories/grams of carbs etc is pissing in the wind.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
D-ribose is THE most effective legal supplement i have ever taken. It is simply that good!

As for the milk comments.... What a bunch of clowns to be quite frank.

In short-you need carbs. High protein intake post ride has zero effect on speeding recovery and you would find if you researched it, as well as high fat- to be dehydrating.

So onto sugar, you want the type that everyone tells you not to eat. Yes the simple kind. It requires less digestion time than complex. and that is what we are looking for.

Complex ingested @2calories per minute.

Simple ingested@20calories per minute.
4calories per gram of carbs.
Aiming for 60-100g carbs in the first 30min off bike. Avec plenty of water.

So real fruit juice is my winner, 1liter has 400+kcal so 100g of carbs., or coke or anything like that.
Honey/syrup on pancakes/bread/bagels. Or just honey if youre like that...

That said-if you arent even getting your 5 a day. Then being so precise with calories/grams of carbs etc is ****ing in the wind.
I know you've made a habit of it, but is there any need to be insulting to people who are merely offering advice, presumably on the basis that it works for them apart from anything else....? And if you're going to dismiss the benefits of protein consumption post-exercise, perhaps you can do a quick search and actually offer some evidence for that provided by reputable sources? Yes, you certainly need carbs post-exercise, but judging by my own casual googling the benefits of protein post-exercise seem to be well-documented, if not entirely conclusively. For example, here, here, here, here......

sazzaa

I know you've made a habit of it, but is there any need to be insulting to people who are merely offering advice, presumably on the basis that it works for them apart from anything else....? And if you're going to dismiss the benefits of protein consumption post-exercise, perhaps you can do a quick search and actually offer some evidence for that provided by reputable sources? Yes, you certainly need carbs post-exercise, but judging by my own casual googling the benefits of protein post-exercise seem to be well-documented, if not entirely conclusively. For example, here, here, here, here......
Only one of those links is credible, and with a study using only 16 people can be fairly easily discounted.

50000tears

Agree with Stu. I have looked at this a bit too and 4:1 carb, protein mix is generally advised for post workout. So whilst you may be right Jason in advocating some simple carbs, having something like a chocolate milkshake is an example of the 4:1 balance needed.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Last edited:
Top Bottom