Best Star Trek characters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Best captain: Picard or Sisko depending upon context
Agreed!
Although, they have both been together in an episode

Best villain: Khan or Gul Dukat
Gowron,
Duras Sisters :wub:

'JL' at 1.15 :laugh:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unORxj3f5vk

Best character arc: Nog
Acqusiive Ferengi, to keen Cadet, to embittered/psychologically scarred ex-soldier
James Darren played a great part in persuading Nog back to real-life

Ah yes, Lursa and B'Etor "Male Gaze" Duras. Even a fine Shakespearean actor like Sir Patrick is not immune.

Also I can't forgive the Duras sisters for killing the Enterprise D

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Ah yes, Lursa and B'Etor "Male Gaze" Duras. Even a fine Shakespearean actor like Sir Patrick is not immune.

Also I can't forgive the Duras sisters for killing the Enterprise D
The Enterprise on TOS was powered by Kirk’s lust, was it not? Not dilithium or whatever.

iRSbqCf.jpg

I love this shot of Spock, who is of course immune to Male Gaze nonsense (he’s the designated driver should the boys be incapacitated with balles bleues), jamming with a woman on what at first glance appears to be a small bicycle wheel.

Btw, thanks for making me sit up and say to myself “What’s that cool spoiler effect?”

Lullabelle

Banana
No love for Lieutenant Broccoli Barclay?
Then again I've not watched Voyager so can't rate him in that.

Best captain: Picard or Sisko depending upon context
Best villain: Khan or Gul Dukat
Best character arc: Nog
Most improved portrayal: Lwaxana Troi. Unwatchably dreadful in TNG, but in DS9 having her play off René Auberjonois' sublime Odo makes for a subtle, interesting and insightful performance.
Most overrated character: Q. Sorry, Mr. de Lancie but Q is rubbish.

Q is rubbish :ohmy: wash your mouth out with soap

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Boba Fett.
Londo Mollari :smile:

byegad

Legendary Member
Uhura, no question. First female black actor to really star as a person and first US TV interracial kiss, with Kirk.
She was no idiot, working for NASA to recruit potential astronauts, with considerable success. She was also a Jazz singer.

She also featured in far too many of my teenage dreams! 😜

I never really enjoyed the original series stuff although as mentioned above Bones and Spock's chemistry was good, particularly in the films. The DS9 Tribbles episode was clearly a huge amount of fun to make (not to mention Jadzia in the TOS uniform :wub:)

There's a fan series that isn't terrible called Star Trek Continues that nails the look and feel of the original series and even has James Doohan's son playing Scotty.

I watched the remastered pilot recently and it stands up remarkably well in places. It's far more tonally consistent with later Trek.
I get that they wanted the show to be an adventure and it was too slow-paced and cerebral (literally) but imagine how things would have worked out if it hadn't been scrapped and restarted as a space western.

The actor who played Pike declined to take part in a second pilot and went on to have a film career that ended very shortly indeed when a special effect went horribly wrong and killed him. If he'd not declined he might still be alive today and instead of Shatner hamming it up everywhere he goes we could have had a completely different leading man, perhaps... one who doesn't... chew on... the scenery!

Q is rubbish :ohmy: wash your mouth out with soap
Au contraire, mon capitan! Despite bookending the series I cannot see what he added to the show, except as a minor annoyance to Picard and a filler of plot holes. He could literally stop any danger at a moment's notice, they were never truly in any peril, yet he allowed so many people to die in the war against the Borg because it amused him.

I know that Trek had plenty of characters who were functionally deities (including literal Greek gods) but it still made everything seem pointless. The only time I can recall where having a god-like figure worked from a dramatic perspective was Kevin Uxbridge. (One of my favourite episodes)

The best thing that ever happened involving Q was when Sisko punched him.

Top Bottom