Best Star Trek characters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Others to think about?

1. Garak?
Does anyone else remember him as the psychopathic Scorpio. in Dirty Harry??
tumblr_m6ebanaqVi1qa1iiqo1_1280.jpg

2. Martok
Chancellorship thrust upon him, when Worf killed Gowron

Episodes, as I'm mentioning DS9 charactors
In The Pale Moonlight (Sisko trying to influence the Romulans to join the war against the Dominion)
Far Beyond The Stars (most of the cast without prosthetics/make-up, producing a sci-fi magazine, in 1950s America)

Uhura, no question. First female black actor to really star as a person and first US TV interracial kiss, with Kirk.
She was no idiot, working for NASA to recruit potential astronauts, with considerable success. She was also a Jazz singer.

She also featured in far too many of my teenage dreams! 😜
Agreed, a wonderful role model for women, not matter what race/creed/colour
And on record, as considering leaving, until Martin Luther King spoke to her:notworthy:

Likewise Whoopi Goldberg is on record, as stating as seeing Nichell Nicols, as Uhura was a pivotal point her life, seeing her in the role
She is meant to shouted to her mother
"Mom, there's a black lady on TV. & she's not a maid!!"
She had the Guinan role at the same time as films like Sister Act

I never really enjoyed the original series stuff although as mentioned above Bones and Spock's chemistry was good, particularly in the films. The DS9 Tribbles episode was clearly a huge amount of fun to make (not to mention Jadzia in the TOS uniform :wub:)

Yes, Jadzia suited that uniform
And as for Julians thoughts that he was lusting after his great-grandmother:laugh:

Last edited:
It's such a shame he couldn't save Jane.

View: https://youtu.be/C1zJ6uCqj7o

(suddenly Q is popping up everywhere)

Rewatching that scene for the first time just now was pretty powerful, knowing who they are talking about (and what happens later on)

John de Lancie is a fantastic actor, I just don't care for the character Q...

... or, for that matter, set theory, the concept of complex and imaginary numbers or indeed the mathematical reliance on wiggly variants of normal letters or single glyphs plundered from dead alphabets (that cannot be copied and pasted into a search engine, leaving this not-mathematically-minded programmer hopelessly adrift when trying to implement something written in an academic paper...)

Last edited:
OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
... or, for that matter, set theory, the concept of complex and imaginary numbers or indeed the mathematical reliance on wiggly variants of normal letters or single glyphs plundered from dead alphabets (that cannot be copied and pasted into a search engine, leaving this not-mathematically-minded programmer hopelessly adrift when trying to implement something written in an academic paper...)
On first reading that was like whoosh over my head, will need time to process. Then I said to myself, just back up and read it again, stupid. And lo, I get it. IME glyphs are sometimes copy & pastable, but I guess I’ve never tried searching with them, having no cause.

Lullabelle

Banana
Au contraire, mon capitan! Despite bookending the series I cannot see what he added to the show, except as a minor annoyance to Picard and a filler of plot holes. He could literally stop any danger at a moment's notice, they were never truly in any peril, yet he allowed so many people to die in the war against the Borg because it amused him.

I know that Trek had plenty of characters who were functionally deities (including literal Greek gods) but it still made everything seem pointless. The only time I can recall where having a god-like figure worked from a dramatic perspective was Kevin Uxbridge. (One of my favourite episodes)

The best thing that ever happened involving Q was when Sisko punched him.

Never watched deep space 9 so didn't see the punch

Lullabelle

Banana
Well there's a lockdown project for you

Nopey nope nope nope no :headshake:

Nopey nope nope nope no :headshake:
Me: "There's no way a show set on a space station dealing with the same two species every episode could be better than TNG"
I was wrong.

DS9 has some growing pains and a few terrible episodes (Allamaraine, count to four :cursing::gun:) but nothing nearly as sketchy or yikes-worthy as the first two seasons of TNG.

The era of the Netflix box set really makes DS9 shine in a way that it couldn't when it was broadcast, where if you missed an episode you were screwed. Plots and character development spanned entire seasons instead of TNG's monster-of-the-week style where everything resets at the end of each episode.

If you do watch it, make sure to do so from a distance, as the video quality is dreadful.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Me: "There's no way a show set on a space station dealing with the same two species every episode could be better than TNG"
I was wrong.

DS9 has some growing pains and a few terrible episodes (Allamaraine, count to four :cursing::gun:) but nothing nearly as sketchy or yikes-worthy as the first two seasons of TNG.

The era of the Netflix box set really makes DS9 shine in a way that it couldn't when it was broadcast, where if you missed an episode you were screwed. Plots and character development spanned entire seasons instead of TNG's monster-of-the-week style where everything resets at the end of each episode.

If you do watch it, make sure to do so from a distance, as the video quality is dreadful.
Always used to tease my younger brother when i summed up TNG as
"fly around , meet aliens , shoot aliens , make friends, the end "

Except those that were based entirely on the holodeck, usually in some historic setting involving Professor Moriarty.
Amazing that in the 24th century they've got tactile holograms, the ability to warp space-time and create matter from energy without raising an eyebrow, and they were canny enough to give the holodeck its own power source... yet they forgot to airgap the holodeck computer and the ship's computer.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Also, today we have fire-and-forget weapons that can engage targets that are out of sight, yet in the 24th century they’ve gone back to close-quarter dog-fighting.

And despite space being 3D, spacecraft always move and meet in the same plane and in the same orientation.

Top Bottom