Best tour bike for around £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Danny1502

Danny1502

You’re probably right. Is it me or is getting the right bike such a mind bending decision. I seem to decide on something then an hour later find it’s missing something. Waaa!!

OP
OP
Danny1502

Danny1502

You have set a very difficult question because you can tour on anything from a beaten up steel bike from the 50s to a modern touring bike. Drop bars, flat bars? Going fast or pootling. Tent and all the gear or hostels, hotels and B&Bs. It all makes a difference on what bike you choose.

I have a Koga World Traveller 29 for sale. It is in excellent condition with a Brooks B17 saddle and a set of Ortleib back rollers. I am not using and it is just sitting under a cover in the workshop. If it is something you may be interested in drop me a line. Your price will cover the cost of the bike and shipping.
Hi Steve,
I’m still undecided. Could you send me a pic of your bike.? Not sure if we could do a deal re the sending and paying bit.
Cheers. D

After taking on some of the advice here I’m thinking of going for a Cannondale Touring 1. Seems to be well priced and most of my requirements seem to be met. The only issue might be the gearing with 50/34 front and 11-32 rear cassette. Is this okay for the Pyrenees, me not being the fittest guy on earth??
I'd go for a 9 speed triple to be honest. Otherwise looks like a nice bike if you like drops.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. Is it me or is getting the right bike such a mind bending decision. I seem to decide on something then an hour later find it’s missing something. Waaa!!

If it were me, the choice would be dead easy. I'd forget about new bikes entirely and buy a nice 1970's or 1980's Dawes Galaxy with a Reynolds 531 frame. A friend of mine that I drink with has one that he has toured all over the UK on and wouldn't swap it for anything. Reckons they are very stable when loaded with panniers. I can't comment on that aspect, but I do know they ride very nicely unladen.

jay clock

Massive member
If it were me, the choice would be dead easy. I'd forget about new bikes entirely and buy a nice 1970's or 1980's Dawes Galaxy with a Reynolds 531 frame. A friend of mine that I drink with has one that he has toured all over the UK on and wouldn't swap it for anything. Reckons they are very stable when loaded with panniers. I can't comment on that aspect, but I do know they ride very nicely unladen.
I would be put off by the brakes if cantilever... Terrible things.. Also might have 27" wheels and not always easy to change to 700

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Hi,
I am planning on doing the Southern Europe part of the Eurovelo 1. I’m planning on doing it in around 8-10 weeks and need to get a decent bike. Not sure what is best for the money I have, any suggestions would be welcomed
@Danny1502 - Have you got a bike sorted yet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Danny1502

Danny1502

Hi Dirk,
Ordered the cannondale today, fingers crossed it’s the right one!!

hoopdriver

Guru
I would be put off by the brakes if cantilever... Terrible things.. Also might have 27" wheels and not always easy to change to 700
Cantilever brakes work just fine if they are set up properly. Over the past 30 years I have toured all over world and all my tourers have had cantilever brakes. I have never had the least problem, not even when my bike's been heavily laden and I've been coming down steep mountain passes.

Since I much prefer drop bars, I am never likely to make the change to V-brakes

Yes, I know you can rig up travel agents etc to make V-brakes work with drops, but the loss of braking power that occurs when you do that means you lose any potential advantage you might have gained from using the "more powerful" V-brakes.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Reactions: mjr

jay clock

Massive member
After taking on some of the advice here I’m thinking of going for a Cannondale Touring 1. Seems to be well priced and most of my requirements seem to be met. The only issue might be the gearing with 50/34 front and 11-32 rear cassette. Is this okay for the Pyrenees, me not being the fittest guy on earth??
my first tour was on a 50/39/30 and was not enough for me. back might have been 28 or so but I changed for something like a 24 up front pronto. The gears quoted are not touring ones in my view

jay clock

Massive member
my first tour was on a 50/39/30 and was not enough for me. back might have been 28 or so but I changed for something like a 24 up front pronto. The gears quoted are not touring ones in my view
that being said the spec looks good. I like the fact that have put tyres on that you would actually want is a plus. rack decent too.

Re the gears you might be able to jack up to a 34 at the back. Someone else can comment if that is do-able.

And having said all that I am doing the USA soon and my mate coming with me has a 50-34 and coped two years ago 4500 miles across the US. At the age of 70.....

Top Bottom