bib shorts - your experience of these manufacturers please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
After some research I've a selection of bib shorts in the £30 - £40 range to choose from and wondered what experience other riders have had, before making a decision.

Altura Airstream/Classic/Progel/Team
Craft Active Bike
De Marchi Pure Classic
Lusso Coolmax ProX 10
Nalini GonOne
Polaris Sprint
Prorace Race/Royal
Santini Coolmax team kit
Scott Helium Top
Shutt Classic
Spiuk Anatomic

Altura and Shutt are regularly praised here, but the other brands are mentioned less often and I'd be interested in your general opinions of the brands even if you have not used the actual shorts.

PS I've excluded Decathlon, Endura & Tenn from my selection, before anyone recommends them.

Thanks for your time and trouble.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
You forgot to add dhb. Great value for money in my opinion.

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
You're right, they are included but I forgot to list them!

DHB are my reference point for good value kit, which is how I came to the £30 - £40 band.

monnet

Guru
Santini stuff is usually good quality. I've got some 'mid range' (read £75) Santini's which are very comfortable (though for the same money I prefer Etxe Ondo)

I had a pair of Nalini FdeJ replicas which were in your price range. They were ok, lasted a couple of years.

Giordana do some belting stuff at the top end of your price point too.

pepecat

I have some Nalini bibs (I think they're the Mog1) and i love them!!! I also have some Altura normal shorts, and after a year of wear they are looking decidedly saggy. I think the elastic in the lycra has gone, and they are looking a bit 'sad'...... The padding on the Alturas is good, but the rest of the shorts, not so great.
Nalinis have kept their elasticity, padding is fab (and there's lots of it) - I'd buy their stuff again.

Globalti

Legendary Member
First choice dhb, second Altura as their kit is always good.

Sadly I wouldn't buy Lusso despite the factory (or finishing-off shop) being about 100 yards from where I work here in Radcliffe. I once had some Lusso bib shorts; the legs were irritatingly short and a lot of the stitching came undone within a few months. OTOH I have some Lusso longs, which have lasted for years despite masses of abuse....

I would also look seriously at Polaris kit, which is always well designed.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
The Altura I had fell apart pretty quickly. Nalini I still have. Not sure if they are Nalini Gonone ?. Though they have been used a lot and have not fell apart. I havnt used any off the other brands you have listed.

My faves over the years are Giodana, Alexa. Alexa since all discontinued. Went bankrupt.

I ve always liked the look of Santini.

screenman

Legendary Member
Must say I have always got on well with Impsport, if you are a follower of cycle racing you will have seen their kit worn by the British team and others over many years. They company is very cycling orientated.

Disclaimer I have no professional connection with this company.

Polaris are a ok although mine did fall apart fairly quickly. Recently got a pair from Specialized on offer from £60 to £40. Very comfortable and good design.

Beaker39

Shutt bibs have by far out performed all the other bibs I have tried. Very very comfy especially for long rides. DHB were good but anything over 150km became a little uncomfortable. 320km ride on Sunday in the Shutts through dry, wet, warm and cold conditions (yes it was all these as I started at 6am and didn't finish until 8.30pm!!) and they were perfect.

Had them over a year now and still performind perfectly, I cannot reccomend them enough (can you tell :biggrin:)

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Thanks everyone! Very useful to get your feedback, especially on the less common brands.

I've all but made a decision and will post back here once I've ridden in them.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply! :biggrin:

Top Bottom