1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bib tights or shorts that hide your junk

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by double0jedi, 1 Mar 2018.

1. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Less faff than riding 14 miles in unnecessary clothing. A pair of gym shorts for example is hardly difficult. Maybe it's not 2 minutes, he says he walks past lots of people
    Pat "5mph" likes this.
  2. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

Maybe we could just ban anything skintight/clingy.
    Or red. Or black. Coz those colours can be deemed as racy.
    We could ban shorts, dresses, short sleeve shirts and t shirts. After All they leave proportions of skin uncovered.
    Hell, we could all dress head to toe covering as much skin as possible in baggy material that hides the lines of the human body.
    No doubt some f***er will moan that my dog is naked.
  3. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

Surely it's about what he individual feels comfortable with
  4. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Über Member

East Sussex
    Your dog is naked. Put a burka on her...or a ball gown. But do something!
    Vantage and Tin Pot like this.
  5. Vantage

Indeed it is.
    But there was a post or two suggesting that the wearing of cycling tights may leave others feeling uncomfortable and even wearing tights is no better than walking in butt naked flashing ones willy about.
    I'm aware that dressing in lycra may make some of us mamil/mawil types look ridiculous with our expanding guts flapping in the wind, but to suggest that it may cause insult to others is taking the piss.
    Last edited: 4 Mar 2018
    numbnuts and Tin Pot like this.
  6. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

Cucumber, cello tape.
    hoopdriver and Vantage like this.
  7. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

I choose to believe the women who tell me it does make them feel uncomfortable, rather than the men who tell them it shouldn't.
  8. Foghat

Foghat Veteran

So what?

Are you advocating that if some people feel 'uncomfortable' with a person walking through a workplace wearing clothing that includes cycling shorts, then the 'solution' (not that one is needed) is for the cyclist to be pressured or forced to wear different clothing rather than for the people who feel the need to advertise that they are 'uncomfortable' are advised to stop looking at, thinking about, fixating on, or otherwise striving to notice, the covered crotches of people merely going about their entirely reasonable and legitimate everyday business?
    Vantage and Julia9054 like this.
  9. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

I'm saying that it's respectful to consider other people's feelings when choosing what clothing to wear in a professional environment.

Not everybody feeling uncomfortable will feel empowered to advertise that fact.
    Pat "5mph", mjr, smutchin and 2 others like this.
  10. My winter cycling trousers are made by Altura. I don't know the actual name of them. They are basically just a pair of tracky bottoms. (But have retro reflective patches and the Altura name, to make me feel good about paying over the odds.)

Wearing skin tight stuff in the winter would seem to me to be a bit of a daft idea, as it's a way to guarantee that you get as cold as possible.

Edit. They are Altura Winter Cruisers They're sold as "tights" but I think they'd only be skin tight if you bought a couple of sizes too small. They are really warm. Highly recommended.
    Pat "5mph" and mjr like this.
  11. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

The Red Enclave
    This seems an eminently sensible, practical and non-hysterical suggestion.

I'm disappointed at some of the entirely predictable and tiresome comments in this thread. But not surprised by them.
  12. numbnuts

numbnuts Guru

North Baddesley
    If people don't like what you wear they can..........look the other way
    Afnug and Vantage like this.
  13. Foghat

Foghat Veteran

Well that's all fine and marvellous, but given the clear context of the OP, and in all similar situations, it's monumentally trumped by the much more significant onus on people in the workplace to have no business paying any attention to, examining, commenting on, objecting to, complaining about, requesting to be covered by baggy clothing, or escalating through the business, the crotches of any people who happen to walk through the workplace in cycling shorts.

And in the context of the OP and similar situations they damned well shouldn't feel empowered to advertise that they object to the fact that they can't stop themselves observing and fixating on the crotches of people passing by. You seem to be forgetting that checking out and then opting not to ignore these areas on people who are merely walking past is entirely the choice, and at the discretion of, the viewer/complainant.
  14. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Have you considered that someone sat in an office might look round to see who is walking past and their head might be quite coincidentally at crotch height. It's quite hard to not to look in such a situation

The OP feels uncomfortable with the lads, I.e. Male colleagues' piss taking and would rather avoid it, maybe he doesn't feel able to say anything for whatever reason. It's his preorogative to feel that way and ask for advice from other cyclists as to how to deal with it. He hasn't from what he says been asked to cover up, it's his preference

Why not start a new thread to discuss if you feel so passionate. It's off topic for this thread
  15. Vantage

Nonsense. This the same as saying that in a cycling group one cannot help but fixate on the arse of the cyclist in front. If you don't want to look, don't look.
    Taller females could be asked not to wear low cut tops in case a shorter person is forced to gaze at their cleavages.
    If the op feels uncomfortable with his colleagues winding him up over the shape of his bits being more pronounced by lycra then offering advice is fair enough, but there have been suggestions that everyday normal cycling gear is sexually provocative or indecent in society. Which is ridiculous.
    Afnug and FishFright like this.