bib tights or shorts that hide your junk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Maybe we could just ban anything skintight/clingy.
Or red. Or black. Coz those colours can be deemed as racy.
We could ban shorts, dresses, short sleeve shirts and t shirts. After All they leave proportions of skin uncovered.
Hell, we could all dress head to toe covering as much skin as possible in baggy material that hides the lines of the human body.
No doubt some f***er will moan that my dog is naked.
Your dog is naked. Put a burka on her...or a ball gown. But do something!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Surely it's about what he individual feels comfortable with

Indeed it is.
But there was a post or two suggesting that the wearing of cycling tights may leave others feeling uncomfortable and even wearing tights is no better than walking in butt naked flashing ones willy about.
I'm aware that dressing in lycra may make some of us mamil/mawil types look ridiculous with our expanding guts flapping in the wind, but to suggest that it may cause insult to others is taking the piss.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Indeed it is.
But there was a post or two suggesting that the wearing of cycling tights may leave others feeling uncomfortable and even wearing tights is no better than walking in butt naked flashing ones willy about.
I'm aware that dressing in lycra may make some of us mamil/mawl types look ridiculous with our expanding guts flapping in the wind, but to suggest that it may cause insult to others is taking the piss.
I choose to believe the women who tell me it does make them feel uncomfortable, rather than the men who tell them it shouldn't.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
It has the potential to make other people feel uncomfortable.

So what?

Are you advocating that if some people feel 'uncomfortable' with a person walking through a workplace wearing clothing that includes cycling shorts, then the 'solution' (not that one is needed) is for the cyclist to be pressured or forced to wear different clothing rather than for the people who feel the need to advertise that they are 'uncomfortable' are advised to stop looking at, thinking about, fixating on, or otherwise striving to notice, the covered crotches of people merely going about their entirely reasonable and legitimate everyday business?

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
So what?

Are you advocating that if some people feel 'uncomfortable' with a person walking through a workplace wearing clothing that includes cycling shorts, then the 'solution' (not that one is needed) is for the cyclist to be pressured or forced to wear different clothing rather than for the people who feel the need to advertise that they are 'uncomfortable' are advised to stop looking at, thinking about, fixating on, or otherwise striving to notice, the covered crotches of people merely going about their entirely reasonable and legitimate everyday business?
I'm saying that it's respectful to consider other people's feelings when choosing what clothing to wear in a professional environment.

Not everybody feeling uncomfortable will feel empowered to advertise that fact.

Foghat

I'm saying that it's respectful to consider other people's feelings when choosing what clothing to wear in a professional environment.

Well that's all fine and marvellous, but given the clear context of the OP, and in all similar situations, it's monumentally trumped by the much more significant onus on people in the workplace to have no business paying any attention to, examining, commenting on, objecting to, complaining about, requesting to be covered by baggy clothing, or escalating through the business, the crotches of any people who happen to walk through the workplace in cycling shorts.

Not everybody feeling uncomfortable will feel empowered to advertise that fact.
And in the context of the OP and similar situations they damned well shouldn't feel empowered to advertise that they object to the fact that they can't stop themselves observing and fixating on the crotches of people passing by. You seem to be forgetting that checking out and then opting not to ignore these areas on people who are merely walking past is entirely the choice, and at the discretion of, the viewer/complainant.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you considered that someone sat in an office might look round to see who is walking past and their head might be quite coincidentally at crotch height. It's quite hard to not to look in such a situation

The OP feels uncomfortable with the lads, I.e. Male colleagues' piss taking and would rather avoid it, maybe he doesn't feel able to say anything for whatever reason. It's his preorogative to feel that way and ask for advice from other cyclists as to how to deal with it. He hasn't from what he says been asked to cover up, it's his preference

Why not start a new thread to discuss if you feel so passionate. It's off topic for this thread

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Have you considered that someone sat in an office might look round to see who is walking past and their head might be quite coincidentally at crotch height. It's quite hard to not to look in such a situation

The OP feels uncomfortable with the lads, I.e. Male colleagues' piss taking and would rather avoid it, maybe he doesn't feel able to say anything for whatever reason. It's his preorogative to feel that way and ask for advice from other cyclists as to how to deal with it. He hasn't from what he says been asked to cover up, it's his preference

Nonsense. This the same as saying that in a cycling group one cannot help but fixate on the arse of the cyclist in front. If you don't want to look, don't look.
Taller females could be asked not to wear low cut tops in case a shorter person is forced to gaze at their cleavages.
If the op feels uncomfortable with his colleagues winding him up over the shape of his bits being more pronounced by lycra then offering advice is fair enough, but there have been suggestions that everyday normal cycling gear is sexually provocative or indecent in society. Which is ridiculous.

Foghat

Well that argument applies in all manner of circumstances to any part of anyone's anatomy, but it's certainly no grounds to pressure a cyclist into wearing an alternative to normal cycling shorts. I find it incredibly easy not to look at people's crotches, unless I wish to. Why do all these other people find it so difficult rather than be sensible and adult about it?

Of course he can feel uncomfortable with the unwanted attention, and to seek advice on measures to reduce the unwarranted focus on the area in question if that is his preference. I haven't said anything that suggests otherwise. He's the one with grounds to feel aggrieved here after all - not the crotch-fixators. Everything I've said has been directed at people who think they are somehow entitled to focus and comment on it, and pressure a cyclist to change their clothing, when all he's doing is minding his own business as he traverses his workplace.

Last edited:

Foghat

Why not start a new thread to discuss if you feel so passionate. It's off topic for this thread

Off-topic?....are you mad?

OP posts about being made to feel uncomfortable by people giving unwarranted attention to his crotch, which is concealed by normal cycling shorts (and cycling shorts aren't really all that revealing of course) but nevertheless is apparently still too interesting or noteworthy for idiots to ignore, or could, god forbid, be accidentally glimpsed by someone too delicate to cope. Some posters then jump in, sparking further discussion, by telling, or implying to, the forum that cyclists have a duty to wear baggy clothing if their co-workers can't, or are unwilling to, control their instinct to check out other people's crotches - this could potentially cause the OP or others to feel unnecessary and unwarranted guilt, or that there is an onus on them to accommodate the objectors' and commenters' inappropriate behaviour. I tell those posters that this is unreasonable, illogical and unacceptable in the context of cyclists walking through workplaces, and remind them that the real onus is on the co-workers to behave appropriately, explaining why......as do others. Not remotely off-topic, regardless of how the OP decides to address the problem, which as you say is his prerogative to choose from the options.

Last edited:
Faux denials of body-shaming notwithstanding, it would be more appropriate to not imply/project your apparent expectation that male cyclists should wear additional baggy layer(s) over their tight-for-functional-reasons cycling shorts, or in some other way cover any body-shape-revealing short properties, to spare your embarrassment/revulsion/etc so that you don't have to put more effort into overcoming your instinct/urge/whatever-it-is to allow your attention to be drawn to the area in question. Instead, you clearly need to address your own attitude to legitimate gender-neutral functional attire, just as men in polite society are expected to overcome their instinct/urge to allow their attention to be drawn to women's, or indeed men's, equivalent areas.

It's incredibly easy to avoid noticing, or accidentally glimpsing, men's crotches, especially in the context of situations that are the subject of this thread - you should try harder.
Enough men have - uninvited and unwelcome - deliberately shown me their naked and semi-erect penis that I will continue to be thankful to those who don't.

Top Bottom