Bicycle insurance for London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AliShah2020

Hi all,

Is there a reputable company you'd recommend for cicyle insurance?

I live in London. I use a motorcycle grade padlock and chain.

I'm still concerned about theft. If my bike got nicked I'm not sure I would be able to afford a new one any time soon.

Apologies if this is not the right section for this post.

With thanks,

Ali

tom73

Guru
Bikmo simple to see and pick what cover you want.
If you go with them DM me I can send you discount link.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you can, insure your bike on your contents house insurance policy. They tend to have far fewer weasel word let out clauses. Always adhere to the lock specification that the policy requires. Bike specific policies seem pretty lousy value to me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As above home insurance. My pretty much unlimited cover at home (and 2.5k away) costs me nothing more (it all costs about £20 a month for buildings and contents). Excess is pretty low too.
To insure all on bike policy was quoted at over £600 a year last time I looked :ohmy: around 10% of value

see here for broader insurance info
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/insurance-and-cycling.118438/

Same here, except in the frozen North East the annual premium is cheaper at £160.

That did involve the tiresome renewal premium dance this year.

Churchill's auto renewal quote was £320 until the call centre operator miraculously found I qualified for a 'special discount' as a long term customer.

I'm not sure if adding £3k of bike insurance adds much to the premium, whatever they set it at.

Both of these examples are home owner policies.

Might be a different sketch if the OP is renting.

tom73

Guru
It's not cheeper for me we only need contents plus bike insurance covers not just bike but me and not just liability.
So works out fine for us.

Does claiming for bike theft affect your no claims bonus?
It is often cheaper to ride a decent hack bike rather than something flashy and new, and to put a bit away as an insurance fund to buy a replacement.

vickster

Legendary Member
Does claiming for bike theft affect your no claims bonus?
It is often cheaper to ride a decent hack bike rather than something flashy and new, and to put a bit away as an insurance fund to buy a replacement.
Possibly...but not to the tune of £600 a year...every year
The OP has a shiny bike he wants to insure
...and is also buying one for his teenage son so I'd say the chances of loss might be higher than average :ph34r:

vickster

Legendary Member
It's not cheaper for me we only need contents plus bike insurance covers not just bike but me and not just liability.
So works out fine for us.
It's the contents insurance on a home policy that would cover the bike (not buildings)

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
Lomdon? You need a speciliast crew.

Top Bottom