Big reductions on tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Excellent choice. I think that's the best cycle touring tent you get.

Are you heading the hot and sticky parts of N America? If so you may find that the inner is a bit airless when you have to have i zipped up against bugs. It's only a minor shortcoming that's shared by all UK / NZ made tents as their priority is using the inner to enhance weather proofing. In contrast US made tents (TNF, MSR, etc) are geared to provide maximum bug proof ventilation to reflect the priorities in their markets.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Phew! I agonised over which one to buy for ages. Glad I made the right choice.

I'm doing a trans-Canada starting at the end of May, then if I still have the energy want to head down the Pacific Coast route. I could have any sort of weather from snow showers to boiling heat so no one tent would be perfect for everything. And hopefully the tent will still have some life in it to use when I get back to the UK.

P.H

Über Member
I've had one for a couple of years and love it. I know there's lighter and smaller packing tents but on a usable space for weight basis I haven't seen anything to beat it. Only slight complaint is that sometimes condensation can collect on the roof of the inner, it’s almost a flat roof for a large area so that's the price for all that headroom. I was a bit reluctant to get an inner pitching first tent, I don't know what the fuss is about, it goes up so quick any rain you get on it soon dries, it's never been a problem. It's also really forgiving of being put up badly, goes up tight even on rough ground. I often used to wake up at night because the tent was flapping, the Solar doesn’t do that. Now just get woken if I'm pitched too close to a Hilleberg tunnel:evil: The price has shot up since I bought mine, considering that you got a good price.

Crankarm

Guru
Looks a nice one, with doors either side so you can choose which ever side you want to use as takes your fancy. As it's a 3 season tent does this mean if it gets really cold :laugh: you'll be inside 4 walls - hotel?

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
Looks a nice one, with doors either side so you can choose which ever side you want to use as takes your fancy. As it's a 3 season tent does this mean if it gets really cold :biggrin: you'll be inside 4 walls - hotel?

It says on the bag that it's a 4 seasons. My sleeping bag isn't though so I'll be beating a hasty retreat to somewhere warmer (hostel/hotel) if the temperature drops too low.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
HelenD123 said:
If anyone is in the market for a new tent Uttings Outdoors have some great reductions on Terra Nova, Wild Country and other tents. I've just bought one of these for my forthcoming tour.

This is only because of the current season ... as the sign outside the shop says :

Now is the winter of our discount tents

Crankarm

Guru
HelenD123 said:
It says on the bag that it's a 4 seasons. My sleeping bag isn't though so I'll be beating a hasty retreat to somewhere warmer (hostel/hotel) if the temperature drops too low.

Oh, the spec says 3 season :biggrin:?

Anyway if you are crossing Canada in May and then down the west coast it shouldn't be too cold and the weather should be fine.

Still a nice tent.

Here's a blog of a chap who traversed Canada West to East. Maybe you've seen it? He gives the impression of a very big and open country. Cycling across the prairies into the wind was grim. The Rockies were beautiful though.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Crankarm - your links don't seem to be working. I did read a West to East blog so maybe that's the one.

Top Bottom