Big Weight Swings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham O

Although I'm not particularly worried about my belly, it would be nice to get rid of it, so I watch what I eat and try not to buy cakes, biccies or chocolates. However, I've found that my morning weigh-ins vary greatly. I seem to be around 68kg, but, according to the scales, I can put on 1.5kg in a weekend despite eating normally. That is nearly 10000 calories and I know that I haven't overeaten by that much.

Hydration could be the other reason, but I don't think my drinking habits change much. Certainly, I don't drink a lot of alcohol.

I was wondering if anyone else has found their weight swings greatly and any possible reasons?

Bodhbh

Guru
I've always a 1kilo or 2 lighter on monday mornings and it goes up steadily through the week. No doubt something to do with activity/eating habits been different at the weekend.

You can get quite massive swings if you go from being calorie deficient to stuffing yourself. iirc your body temporary stores of glycogen are associated with water at a ratio of 1kg glycogen to 3-4kg water. Think the most I ever put on in a weekend is 4kg visiting the oldies and getting well fed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
2kg weight swings are normal - 2kg on or off - as mentioned much depends upon hydration and exercise. So long as long term you remain about the same !

andygates

Seconded. That's not fat, it's water and bellyfood and glycogen and all sorts. No big deal. Look at trends, not single points.

OP
OP
G

Graham O

Thanks people. I'm aware that the long term trend is what counts, but I was just wondering what produced such big swings.

Down another 500g this morning.

If only it was all negative!

walker

your body will fluctuate depending on time of year as well, try not to starve yourself mate, the body goes into famine mode and will store fat accordingly

nilling

Über Member
In my younger days my weight would fluctuate by as much as 3Kg but I was a such a beer and curry monster at the weekend :blush: nowadays it's just so much harder to shift :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
People are around 70% water.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
After a crap year of cycling (not much time for club runs and not a single sportive), I am back up to 61.5kg - might not sound like much, but 58 is my prefered 'racing weight', and on my small frame I can really feel it (I am only 5'5")...

When I was riding for a living I was at 88kg:biggrin: and I could eat anything I wished and would not put on a gram. Then I quit and over a year and a half I got upto 110kg:ohmy: now with evey thing that is going on in my life at the moment ive droped back down to 91kg:smile: and im planing to keep it that way.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At the risk of stating the obvious...

Weight after w/e =
(weight before w/e) +
(weight of food & drink taken in over w/e) -
(weight of pee/poo/sweat lost over w/e)

... assuming that you didn't undergo any major surgical procedures during that time (or give birth) :smile:!

If you weighed yourself when you were quite dehydrated and then again when you were full-bladdered, that could easily account for a kg or so. The same principle applies to solids.

The other obvious thing to take into account is what you are wearing. There is a big difference between naked weight and clothed weight (especially if you are wearing shoes).

In the last month my weight has generally been 188lbs - 189lbs, but peaked at 194lbs (twice). Both times I have lost that extra 6 pounds within days.

I didn't change my diet, nor my exercise routine, to lose weight, but did live it up a bit to put the weight on in the first place.

Top Bottom