BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
For BRVR. Do you have a version of the Trollstigen coming? It was one I wanted to do on a moto, but by bike looks really appealing :eek:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Did a couple of rides this evening but have noticed that the time of day that Strava says I did the rides is wrong, it's also wrong for the rides I did on Monday evening. They're about 7 hours too early in the day. What am I missing that's really obvious?

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Did a couple of rides this evening but have noticed that the time of day that Strava says I did the rides is wrong, it's also wrong for the rides I did on Monday evening. They're about 7 hours too early in the day. What am I missing that's really obvious?
From: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919587-Virtual-Trainer-Activities-on-Strava

FAQs:
The time and date is incorrect

Strava uses the timestamps in the file along with the UTC offset of the location in which you're riding (based on the GPS data in the file) to determine the start time of your activity. Depending on how your virtual trainer formats the time data, it's very likely that the start time, and possibly the date, will be different on Strava than the day you actually rode. For example, Zwift's island of Watopia takes place on a real island called "Te Anau," which is UTC+11. Because of this many people will not see their activity until the Zwift time/date becomes present time for their timezone.

My ride times are always correct, wherever the course is, but I don't let BigRingVR upload directly to Strava. I save the file and put it in my own cycling diary, and then upload to Strava from there.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Thank you @Asa Post & @ibooij for those replies, very interesting. The rides were France and Spain. I've followed the link you posted @ibooij and corrected my timezone as it was set as Denver USA.
Of course it doesn't really matter, it is virtual after all, I mean, it was warm and sunny for my rides yesterday evening!!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Oberalp Pass from Tujetsch tonight. Really enjoyable. Short one at 9.2 miles. Starts you off with a some tough climbing for a couple of miles with some lovely hairpin bends before rewarding you with the most wonderful downhill section. There's a couple of cyclists for you to catch and scalp on the climb then once you're over the summit you can chase after the coach, draft it for a while then overtake him on the straight, spot the train in the distance and gun it after him, catch him and take him on the bend, see the car a little further down the descent, get after him and draft him to the finish line. The scenery is spectacular and it's all in all spot on. Cracking :okay:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
A big thumbs up to BigRIng. The Oberalp Pass from Tujetsch ride didn't have a segment for the complete distance, only for the 2 and bit mile climb. So I emailed them to let them know, 30 minutes later they've emailed back and sorted it. Very impressive @ibooij . Thank you :okay:

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Josterdal glacier ride for me last night. Was supposed to ride it in Zone 2 for recovery, unfortunately due to the fact I added the previous two riders as ghosts I got a bit carried away and ended up riding it in zone 4/3 :eek:. Probably the one and only KOM I'll ever get :wahhey::wahhey:

The ride itself is superb, just enough gradient changes to make the steady uphill interesting, and the short climbs at up to 7% are a challenge

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Remember though, you can make your own segments easily enough.
Yes I know, I just thought, although I could be wrong of course that the BigRing team would probably automatically make a segment for the complete course before people started cutting it up into sections. So I thought there may have been a reason it hadn't been created.

ibooij

Über Member
@Mugshot unfortunately the Strava API does not offer the ability to create a segment. That always has to happen from the website and can only be done by somebody who's ridden on that specific course.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
@Mugshot unfortunately the Strava API does not offer the ability to create a segment. That always has to happen from the website and can only be done by somebody who's ridden on that specific course.
Thank you @ibooij , so in a situation like last night where there isn't a segment which would seem to be an obvious one, for example the full length of the ride, just crack on and make it yourself?

Top Bottom