BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I’m in the early planning stages of doing the North Coast 500 next year, Applecross being the first stop. :thumbsup:
Take your brolly!

berty bassett

Legendary Member
T
As you can see I already have it..
i done north coast 500 this year and weather wasn't very kind at all but did stay in a couple of really good b&b if you you are interested - stayed in 4 and 3 of them were really good
i will say dont tackle applecross on first day if weathers against you - its no fun at all - not even a hint of a wry smile crossed my lips

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Cheers Berty- aye it’s been a stinker of a year up here. Poured down since late May.

I’m giving myself 6 days but not starting in Inverness, so not really doing the proper trip. I’ll be starting on the outskirts as I don’t fancy going in or out of the city. I’m also looking to avoid as much of the A9 as possible on the way back down. I’ll be on my own as well so quite fancy camping but that’s if I can get the weather. :thumbsup:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Cheers Berty- aye it’s been a stinker of a year up here. Poured down since late May.

I’m giving myself 6 days but not starting in Inverness, so not really doing the proper trip. I’ll be starting on the outskirts as I don’t fancy going in or out of the city. I’m also looking to avoid as much of the A9 as possible on the way back down. I’ll be on my own as well so quite fancy camping but that’s if I can get the weather. :thumbsup:
i got a lift to outskirts as well
i done it in five days but without tent and bag
carried just the bare minimum and posted stuff to each b&b along the way
don't think i could have done it carrying more and wish i could have took it easier as once the hills start - 3/4 way through day 1 -they are relentless until half way along the top
they make the 2 hills on the east coast seem like sleeping policemen !
scenery though !!!

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Cheyenne Canyon is done. Nice little stinker of a climb. Sub 45 minutes which is good for me I think. Again I almost managed 80 cadence going uphill,
which is a big step up from before. I'm enjoying my new set-up :bicycle:

Next BRVR Route will be Magnolia, avg 9% :eek:. Probably Sunday.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Cheyenne Canyon is done. Nice little stinker of a climb. Sub 45 minutes which is good for me I think. Again I almost managed 80 cadence going uphill,
which is a big step up from before. I'm enjoying my new set-up :bicycle:

Next BRVR Route will be Magnolia, avg 9% :eek:. Probably Sunday.
@theboxers It's on my to do list as well. Having completed all the French rides I've crossed the pond to check out Uncle Sam's offerings. Tried Clear Creek Canyon today, was thinking of Bear Lake tomorrow.

Regards

Dave

Breedon

Legendary Member
Try pikes peak :B)

theboxers

Try pikes peak :B)
Already had a go. Had to split it into 4 segments approx 1 hour each. A grindfest of dead legs :B):boxing::B):B):boxing::B) That was pre the dinner plate :mrpig:
Makes a climb almost enjoyable:okay:
Er :headshake:

But at least I can now back off to a lower cadence :sweat:
Also on the list. Rather than tackling the rides in order of difficulty, like I did with the French ones, I'm trying the USA rides in a random order. One for a weekend though I think.
I will not be able to complete some/most of these climbs in one sitting. I will have to limit myself to 2 hours at a time until my weight is under 100kg, I maybe some time.

CXRAndy

Guru
Real life mountain climbs can be significantly different once you reach 2000 metres. I'd not experienced lack of oxygen until I went across the crater on Mt. Teide. It was a weird feeling, just had no power in the legs, breathing wasn't overly laboured, just couldn't get going.

theboxers

I know that most of the climbs on BRVR I'd never complete, even on my current bike set-up. My trainer can't do a proper simulation of resistance for my weight v.v.heavy. If I had a kickr or neo or similar I'd be in big trouble on anything about 6%.

My aim is the loss of weight until I only need to put a two digit number in the metric weight box :mrpig:.

Top Bottom