BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Thanks. Now the wait for the updates and enhancements. It looks like I'll be running 2 subscriptions next year bkool and BRVR.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
@MasterDabber @theboxers Apologies for not providing a link, it just never crossed my mind. I must remember to do that in future.
New ride was added as well, Col de Peyresourde (East side) it will be interesting to see if they will be adding rides from other parts of the world once the subscriptions start coming their way. I don't think I could justify to my "bank manager" having two subs running at the same time but Bkool does have its advantages when it comes to group riding and competition so I'll have to see when the time comes.

Regards

Dave

Breedon

Legendary Member
I really do like BRVR but it is lacking in a race/live ride feature, if it all ready had this then I would happily pay the sub even a bit more tbh but with out the race features then I can't justify it, I'm paying for zwift and bkool which runs out in February
@ibooij any sort of date when live rides/race features will be added

I still can't get my head around some (many) of the Bkool performances though.... I just did the new BRVR Peyresourde ride. I noted that the Strava KOM for the actual climb part of that ride was a Bkool rider who seems to have gone up it WELL under half the time I took to get up it. He seems to have averaged 72W, I averaged 211W. The Bkool stuff just isn't realistic much of the time. I'd rather ride on a platform where VR is close to reality.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I generally ride on my own anyway so I'm not interested in the racing really, I like the BR platform and their response time to queries and issues has been superb, I have loved that @ibooij has taken the time to come and see us in this thread too. I still have my free 3 months to use from my BKool Pro purchase but my pennies will be going to BR.

Breedon

Legendary Member
@Breedon We're aiming for live race features in early Q2, after having done workouts.

My guess is that we won't be doing drafting, but will provide a way to ride together, competitively and socially.
Sounds good to me thanks

MichaelO

Veteran
I downloaded & registered for BR, but am yet to use it. Not sure I can justify two subscriptions (I pay for Zwift, but don't seem to use that as much as I could/should!). But I may have to give BR a go before the end of the year while it's still free, to see what it's like!

MichaelO

Veteran
Actually, anyone recommend which ride is a good one to get the best impression of BR? Anything up to 60-80 mins would be good!

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Actually, anyone recommend which ride is a good one to get the best impression of BR? Anything up to 60-80 mins would be good!
Depends on you power level. An hour for me could be 45 minutes or less for you.

Three rides to consider
Relatively flat the St Moritz ride about 35 minutes for me
Short but quite hard Magnolia about 1hr 20 for me.
Hard climb to start 5km of 6% or so with a longish flat after is Hafslovatnet from Sogndal around an hour for me.

I am slug slow so take my timings as on the sloooow side.

So many that it's hard to really suggest a specific ride.[/quote]

If you have ridden any of the rides in real life it might be good to do one of those as a comparison to how it compares....
I've ridden the Tourmalet and Luz Ardiden in real life and can say that the BRVR experience matches it very well.

If you haven't ridden any in real life you can select any of the classic climbs if you want test yourself, on the other hand you can select some of the flatter options. The ride selector on the app helps you set some parameters on the ride characteristics.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
As well as the ride selectors there's the Pacer option as well. Set a wattage that you would be comfortable with for the ride and the app calculates the ride duration. Whether you ride with the pacer or not is entirely optional.

dutchronnie

I have a question about BigRingVR:

The smarttrainer i use is a Bkool smart pro 2.
When i climb the Alp dHuez (in bigringvr) does it match with the reality?
When i climb 10% is the gear and cadence in reality the same as in BigRingVR?

And what happens as the climb is steeper than the trainer can handle?
The smart pro 2 can handle 20% according the documentation, but other trainers can handle at most 7%
Don't they feel anymore resistance after they have reached 7%?

Top Bottom