BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
The smart pro 2 can handle 20% according the documentation, but other trainers can handle at most 7%

The documentation is wildly optimistic for the bkool pro. It would top out a 7-8% for me, where the resistance wouldn't get any harder above that number. You only get 20% resistance on the top of the range trainers like Tacx Neo, Wahoo Kickr, Elite Drivio and Cyclops hammer.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I have a question about BigRingVR:

The smarttrainer i use is a Bkool smart pro 2.
When i climb the Alp dHuez (in bigringvr) does it match with the reality?
When i climb 10% is the gear and cadence in reality the same as in BigRingVR?

And what happens as the climb is steeper than the trainer can handle?
The smart pro 2 can handle 20% according the documentation, but other trainers can handle at most 7%
Don't they feel anymore resistance after they have reached 7%?
It very much depends on your registered weight. I, @127kg registered, max out the resistance of my bkool classic above 5.5 to 5.8%. So I prtetty much end up riding at the trainer max resistance of most of the BRVR rides. What you do get on BRVR is a real speed shown to your pwr/weight. Up a slope of 10%+ my edge unit will show a speed of about 5-5.5mph, BRVR will show as low as 1.6mph. So my times will be about right it's just the cadence/gearing may not be correct.

IRL I will struggle up longer slopes of more than 8% (to be honest I struggle up slopes period) and 10% I need a triple to get the gears low enough.

If you are about 70-80kg the rides/sessions with give a good guide to IRL rides.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
One caveat to theboxers is that on a turbo you take away a lot of the other effects like wind resistance etc, I reckon, based on riding a route, videoing it, and riding the video in BSim that it's about 20-30% easier than IRL

theboxers

One caveat to theboxers is that on a turbo you take away a lot of the other effects like wind resistance etc, I reckon, based on riding a route, videoing it, and riding the video in BSim that it's about 20-30% easier than IRL
There is a wind switch in bsim in settings (no not that wind). I was under the impression that air resistance was figured in :unsure:.

Aleman

There is a wind switch in bsim in settings (no not that wind). I was under the impression that air resistance was figured in :unsure:.
I guess the only way to be sure id to use a PM on the Real Life Rides and compare, but for a given 'speed' on climbs, the HR is always lower on the Turbo than it is on IRL,

dutchronnie

If you are about 70-80kg the rides/sessions with give a good guide to IRL rides.

My weight is 80kg, and i can feel the resistance is getting harder when i ride a slope of 13 a 14%, i didn't ride a steeper slope so far.

But when the edge of the trainer is reached, then there is no more resistance when it goes steeper?
I am riding a mountainbike, so i am used to short very steep climbs, i was hoping that tris trainer was able to simulate the steep climbs.

ibooij

Über Member
When the trainer is no longer able to increase resistance, the resistance will (of course) not increase if the virtual grade gets steeper. In BigRingVR we always use the power output to determine speed. Say you're riding a 10% grade, but your trainer maxes out at 6% (for your weight), than the speed calculations will use the 10% grade.

We do have our doubts if the BKool trainers measure the right power at higher grades. We have the feeling that they overestimate things, but that can only be checked by using a power meter when riding on the trainer.

theboxers

When the trainer is no longer able to increase resistance, the resistance will (of course) not increase if the virtual grade gets steeper. In BigRingVR we always use the power output to determine speed. Say you're riding a 10% grade, but your trainer maxes out at 6% (for your weight), than the speed calculations will use the 10% grade.

We do have our doubts if the BKool trainers measure the right power at higher grades. We have the feeling that they overestimate things, but that can only be checked by using a power meter when riding on the trainer.
On my bkool classic the power readings are within 10 watts of the vectors I have on BRVR, usually. Sometimes over, sometimes under, but mainly over. I'll then get a session where the difference seems to be 1 or 2 watts :huh:. On bsim there can be a 10-30w difference depending on grade.

There is also a strange effect where my classic will give next to no resistance if I have stopped on a steep section and then start riding again. It can sometimes last 5-10 seconds just allowing me to get back up to speed or several minutes allowing me to get over a very steep section, iirc the next grade change normally sorts this issue out in BRVR. That is in bsim and BRVR. I think it is firmware related because it is happening in both sims. The power reported at these times is often very low 50-100w.

IMO BRVR is closer to IRL riding than Bsim. Bsim just has more variety at the moment. BRVR has a few upgrades coming next year so that may change. But BRVR has definitely got the better video quality by a large margin :thumbsup:

JuhaL

Guru
I am gonna testride BRVR today, now that is still free. Interesting to see how bkool smart pro feels comparing to bkool sim and zwift. Could it be more realistic.

theboxers

I am gonna testride BRVR today, now that is still free. Interesting to see how bkool smart pro feels comparing to bkool sim and zwift. Could it be more realistic.
Enjoy it. I will be making it my Sunday session sw for the forseeable future. I will be using bkool for league and planned sessions, zwift and BRVR just don't have the variety that bkool does. But for realism I think BRVR has almost nailed it, I know it kicks my backside every time I use it.

Aleman

It applies gradients in a much smoother manner than BSim. I'd really love it if there were longer rides for endurance riding rather than shorter climby stuff ... Even if a 100mile 'ride' was split into 4 sections ... just ride one after the other. A virtual LeJog and a Jogle in 18-25mile chuncks would be great as well

JuhaL

Guru
I didn't have time today ride a whole session but i ride a few miles of Sorfjorden to Utne ride as a taste. I have to say the realism hit me hard. Better forget avg. power output with Zwift and Bkool Sim, they are too easy comparing to BRVR and give too good avg. power output numbers too easy. That was my first impression with 100% difficulty level. I try to ride full session tomorrow.

theboxers

Even if a 100mile 'ride' was split into 4 sections ... just ride one after the other. A virtual LeJog and a Jogle in 18-25mile chuncks would be great as well
Try the Bergen ride. It's a 2h30+ ride. 65km but there is a 7 or 8k >7% climb within a kilometre or so of the start and then a 4 or 5k climb about half way. I've done it in 2 sections.

Top Bottom