BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Stupid question? I dunno, here goes anyway. Was about to pay up but I'm in work and not on the comp that I'll be running the software on, I assume I need to sign up on the computer that I'll be using to run the software for the rides or does it work for any comp if I'm logging in with my account?

ibooij

Über Member
@Mugshot Not a stupid question at all! The subscription is tied to your user account (currently identified by your Google account). We do not tie it to a specific computer. As long as you log in with the same account from both machines, things will work.

We do check if the same account is not used from multiple machines at the same time, because we do not want multiple people sharing the same account.
Multiple user accounts under the same family account can of course be used at the same time, but we do some checks to determine (as best we can) that they're from the same household.

Just a question about the "family account" Ilja. My wife (who isn't really a cyclist) might be persuaded to do the occasional ride on BRVR. If she did, she would do it using my pc and trainer.
What would she need to do? create an ID on the BRVR website? and then go in through my pc/app and create another profile?

ibooij

Über Member
@MasterDabber She can create an account on the website. If you then send us the email address with which she registered by email, we'll add her account to yours. In the app, she can then login with her own account. You can then easily switch between both user accounts in Preferences->Account.

We'll add a GUI on the website to make the registration under a family account easier, but this will work for now :-)

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Mine used the trainer a couple of times last year, the only time this year I persuaded her that to benefit fully from using it she needed to do an FTP test ... a couple of days later she was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia .. which explains the chest pains and shortness of breath. ... Needless to say she hasn't been near the trainer since :biggrin: ... although that will change when she has had the hernia repaired, or so I am told :sad:

jewbs

Regular
I just wanted to give a big positive thumbs up for the BigRing Vr team, I had a problem on my computer that stopped me from being able to subscribe. Apparently i was the only one with the problem. It would have been really easy for them to turn their back and not bother to help, its only one person after all what would it matter in the grand scheme of things but they were the exact opposite and worked really hard to solve it. They were in touch really quickly and replied promptly to all emails, really good service and a delight to see in this day and age. Really good service, really good product and a really happy customer. Paul

I just wanted to give a big positive thumbs up for the BigRing Vr team, I had a problem on my computer that stopped me from being able to subscribe. Apparently i was the only one with the problem. It would have been really easy for them to turn their back and not bother to help, its only one person after all what would it matter in the grand scheme of things but they were the exact opposite and worked really hard to solve it. They were in touch really quickly and replied promptly to all emails, really good service and a delight to see in this day and age. Really good service, really good product and a really happy customer. Paul
@jewbs I think you'll find all of us have had this sort of great response from the BRVR guys. As you say, it's good to see these days.
A great program and constantly being added to and improved.

Dan Lotus

@Mugshot Not a stupid question at all! The subscription is tied to your user account (currently identified by your Google account). We do not tie it to a specific computer. As long as you log in with the same account from both machines, things will work.

We do check if the same account is not used from multiple machines at the same time, because we do not want multiple people sharing the same account.
Multiple user accounts under the same family account can of course be used at the same time, but we do some checks to determine (as best we can) that they're from the same household.

Hello there, newbie here, but been speculatively using the free trial for a dozen or less rides over the last few months.

I'm keen to take out a full 12 months membership for $80 - but just wanted to check a couple of things, so apologies if these are dim, or have already been covered.

I'm already signed up as Dan Bat - is there anyway to change my account name to my full name, or will that be a pain?
I'd like to take out the family membership, predominantly for myself to use, but am hoping to get my gf using it as well (Also makes it more arguable as a good value purchase!) at some point.
She has her own bike and turbo set up next to mine in the garage, and she has her own laptop, so presumably that would not be an issue for her to login on a separate machine, and going by the above post, I would merely have to let you know what her e-mail address was, and you would then somehow link the accounts?
In previous years my brother has stayed with us during the summer months, so would that also be a possibility to add him on if need be? Less likely this one to be honest.

On a side note, if in theory you had some facility in the future to 'ride together' on the same course, presumably this would still be possible on a family membership and riding simultaneously, and either seeing some representation of each other on the screen (I think I read in previous posts that you thoguht this unlikely) or being able at least to see how far ahead or behind of them you are?

Thanks very much,

Dan

ruko

Have been using Bkool (@Bkool) for a couple of years now. Had much fun, but also alot could be said about Bkool which is nicely summed up in another thread. My main complaints have been:

- Poor customer support. You almost always get an answer saying they'll look into it and pass it over to the tech guys but NOTHING happens.
- New features and suggestions are "not welcome"
- The ENORMOUS amount of rides and routes is the main problem because it is more and more difficult finding high quality rides with great video quality, correct profile vs incline, stable camera etc etc.

Now I've tested BigRingVR. (See a selection of the routes: http://bigringvr.com/demos.aspx). Let me sum it up:
- STUNNING, and I mean STUNNING high quality 1080p 60fps (if your computer is good enough. 720p if not) videos filmed from a super smooth and stable position.
- Instead of Bkools choice of having hundred of thousands of routes, with mostly (90-95% rubbish) low quality routes or routes that are almost identical (who wants ten versions of nearly the exact same route near your home?), BigRingVR have focused on a base with ONLY super quality rides (which you also can ride only parts of), more than enough for most people. New routes added regularly.
- Profile vs incline is SPOT ON.
- Incredible customer support. You get a dedicated answer from guys really interested in what you are doing and wanting to solve issues. New updated versions coming regularly.-

Issues, yes. There are som minor issues (they are currently in a free beta).
- If you are into social riding, this is not yet in place. For me this is not a big issue, I almost always ride alone. The next version, coming very soon, is supposed to introduce ghosts for PR. That is at least to me, the most important missing feature.
- Not a dedicated leaderboard, but then not very important as rides could be uploaded to Strava and you have the leaderboards there.

All in all they really look to become my personal choice for riding software.

Give it a try (I have NO personal interest or benefiting from promoting BigRingVR).
Thank you for this tip. I have been using Zwift for 3 months and it works fine. Wanted to try something with real scenery. Tried Rouvy yesterday and the video quality/clarity is great, the software/trainer response is great but unless you can ride at 50 MPH the video is very jerky. A steep climb(10%) at 9 MPH produces obvious frame by frame video which is very annoying.

Does the BRVR video do the same thing?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

nrosko

Thank you for this tip. I have been using Zwift for 3 months and it works fine. Wanted to try something with real scenery. Tried Rouvy yesterday and the video quality/clarity is great, the software/trainer response is great but unless you can ride at 50 MPH the video is very jerky. A steep climb(10%) at 9 MPH produces obvious frame by frame video which is very annoying.

Does the BRVR video do the same thing?

Thanks
I think this is what puts me of using these, i'm just too slow for now. Dev states climbing at about 220W @ 75kg =20-25fps.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I think this is what puts me of using these, i'm just too slow for now. Dev states climbing at about 220W @ 75kg =20-25fps.
Owing to my registered weight in Bkool and BRVR I can sometimes, well most of the time :blush:, get a slow frame rate when riding the steeper climbs. But even for me it is not always obvious. Possibly because I am not staring at the video section. I am looking at other parts of the screen, slope, speed, cadence and HR etc. BRVR has the better quality video by far of the 2.

ibooij

Über Member
Hello there, newbie here, but been speculatively using the free trial for a dozen or less rides over the last few months.

I'm keen to take out a full 12 months membership for $80 - but just wanted to check a couple of things, so apologies if these are dim, or have already been covered.

I'm already signed up as Dan Bat - is there anyway to change my account name to my full name, or will that be a pain?

The "real" name that we use is taken from Google's account system. We realize that this is not ideal, so we'll change it later, especially when we start adding multiple authentication providers. We can change your screen name. Please drop us an email at bigringvr@bigringvr.com.

I'd like to take out the family membership, predominantly for myself to use, but am hoping to get my gf using it as well (Also makes it more arguable as a good value purchase!) at some point.
She has her own bike and turbo set up next to mine in the garage, and she has her own laptop, so presumably that would not be an issue for her to login on a separate machine, and going by the above post, I would merely have to let you know what her e-mail address was, and you would then somehow link the accounts?
In previous years my brother has stayed with us during the summer months, so would that also be a possibility to add him on if need be? Less likely this one to be honest.

When you've taken out a subscription, set up user accounts for the other users and send us an email at bigringvr@bigringvr.com. We'll hook up the accounts to use the same subscription.

On a side note, if in theory you had some facility in the future to 'ride together' on the same course, presumably this would still be possible on a family membership and riding simultaneously, and either seeing some representation of each other on the screen (I think I read in previous posts that you thoguht this unlikely) or being able at least to see how far ahead or behind of them you are?

Users in a family membership can use BigRingVR at the same time, so when "social riding" is implemented, you will be able to ride together and see each other's progress.

I hope that answers your questions!

Top Bottom