BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Bloody hell! You been on the inhaler?
He must be on what I'm looking at

Orbea Gain
Wilier cento1hybrid
Bianchi Aria e-road
the above good for bkool classic/pro/pro2 etc or any wheel on trainer

Cube Agree sl/t
Pinarello nytro
Focus PROJECT Y
good for any direct drive trainer.

etc. etc. mechanical doping anyone :whistle:

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Ok, no probs. I just rode Croix der Fer again just to be sure. Rather glad I did as I took 38 mins out of my previous time :wahhey::bicycle:

Post time in thread
Hi Dave, did you set the previous time after the 20th March, if so did the BRVR league update with the faster time? I've noticed that the BRVR league seems to count the first time set for a ride rather than a faster second one.
Nice improvement though:okay:

Hi Dave, did you set the previous time after the 20th March, if so did the BRVR league update with the faster time? I've noticed that the BRVR league seems to count the first time set for a ride rather than a faster second one.
Nice improvement though:okay:

Hi Bud, yes it updated. That was the reason I asked if I could submit older rides as it was one already marked as completed, but I thought I could beat it, so I gave it another go.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Hi Bud, yes it updated. That was the reason I asked if I could submit older rides as it was one already marked as completed, but I thought I could beat it, so I gave it another go.
Thanks Dave, wonder why some of my times haven't updated. BRVR are aware of the issue.

theboxers

But, but, but... E-Bikes are the future.
Why do you think I'm looking at them ;). Particularly the ones equiped with this https://www.ebikemotion.com/web/ . It is more of an assist to your efforts not a motor to power you along when you don't fancy pedalling. Also, although slightly heavier, they are not much more in weight compared to a road/mountain bike of 15 years ago, so you are not too penalised when the battery dies.

I just need to be able to get into the positions these bikes geometries require. :unsure:

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I really like the specs of the new Orbea eBike ... Not bad for around 11 and a bit kilos ... Not much heavier than my current alu defy

theboxers

I really like the specs of the new Orbea eBike ... Not bad for around 11 and a bit kilos ... Not much heavier than my current alu defy
The carbon frames are about 12kg and alloy about 14.

Most of the manufacturers using the ebikemotion kit are sitting about there. The Fauza kit is about the same weight ,maybe a 1/2 kilo lighter, but more power for shorter duration. Also the power goes through the drivetrain not direct to the wheel so increased wear there.

I saw the Cube Agree Hybrid C:62 SL Disc today ( a Fauzsa motor). :huh: Clean lines on the bike but poor finish on the one that I saw. The power button looked like it had been pressed very hard into the frame and dislodged :eek:. Not good on a £4.5k bike. :sad:

Hey,

Just did a recovery ride using ERG and I was thinking perhaps ERG rides should be flagged on the ride tables? What do you think?

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Hey,

Just did a recovery ride using ERG and I was thinking perhaps ERG rides should be flagged on the ride tables? What do you think?
Good discussion point there Dave. Assuming you mean the tables on the website and App not the Cyclechat league spreadsheet, we'll have to ask the likes of @ibooij if it's possible to discriminate between ERG and "normal" mode.
Thing is ERG would be good on the flat where it forces you to maintain a certain power level but would be no good on climbs where you'd more than likely exceed ERG power anyway. So you'd be constantly switching ERG on and off depending on the terrain. Which begs the question how much ERG mode (as a percentage of overall ride say) would trigger the flag? You might only use it for a few seconds so would this be flagged as well? (Of course when I say you I don't mean you personally more the royal "You":smile:)
Perhaps it could be seen as a tool in a similar way that riders ride to a power level as shown on their power meter, after all you've still got to put the effort in on the ride with ERG mode so is it really "cheating". Also consider downhill sections, ERG mode will give a gain but by experimenting with pacer power a difference of setting 300w compared to 200w would only give an advantage of seconds rather than minutes. I know Grand tours have been won or lost by similar margins (but we're not really competing at those levels, or are we? Strokes beard!) Besides on downhills ERG mode means having to use more effort which will need to be paid for later in the ride. So perhaps a case of swings and roundabouts.
Well Dave my fingers are sore from all that typing and I haven't really answered your original point, so for my 2 pence worth I'd say that ERG mode may give an advantage for certain terrain but would be at a disadvantage on others therefore no better or worse than normal mode.
One final thought on your flag idea, I know the website shows a lightning flash symbol to show how power was derived so perhaps another symbol to show that ERG mode was used, which comes back to the earlier question how much ERG effort before flagging up?
Hope you've not opened up a can of worms there Dave.

Aleman

Like Dave I only tend to use Erg mode for recovery rides, or if I'm feeling particularly masochistic I'll do intervals, but I pick particular route to do this on which are mostly the pretty flat ones.

I think it's a good idea to flag it that ERG mode was used, but in general as you are setting a level either well below threshold, or perhaps at threshold for a paced climb you are not really going to break any records.

Evening all,
Maybe its nothing and I'm over thinking it, but I was riding Great Dunes @150W and I thought that I could have up'd the output considerable higher for a while. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding ERG, but wouldn't doing so give an unfair advantage on what is a pretty flat parkour?

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Did the Sand Dunes on Thursday, quite a spectacular monument, I wonder how they were formed. @Aleman this would be a good course for intervals, relatively flat and dead straight for the first 10 miles.

Aleman

I've been using that course for warm ups with Erg mode set to 125W.

Would it make a difference If I set it to 250W and road at that .... only if I could actually keep that output up for the duration of the ride, I've just done the Madeleine (Well she did me TBH), and I managed an hour at 250W ... but over the whole ride output was down to 208W for 1:47:38.

Watts are Watts at the end of the day, you can set the output in ERG mode to whatever you want, but you still have to turn the pedals ;)

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Was thinking of using the 1st 10 miles or so as a warm up myself but set the Erg watts to achieve a %'age heart rate rather than a specific power.

Top Bottom