BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ibooij

Über Member
Interesting ideas about flagging ERG mode rides. I agree that on flatter rides ERG mode might give an advantage, because of the way it helps to keep resistance. You still need to push the pedals of course. Mentally, it can help as well when going uphill. If you know that you should be able to hold some power, but often just let go a bit, ERG mode will punish you very hard. Knowing this, it might be easier (for some masochistic definition of easier) to keep the power up.

There are many ways to "cheat" like this of course. When using a dumb trainer, you can always just pick the gear you want to be in and have the simulation just use your power, which has the same kind of effect as using ERG mode to keep resistance high(er).
Using a smart trainer, you can also set the maximum downhill to 0%, making it easier to put the power down in the downhills.
And another possibility is to use the trainer as a power meter and have it controlled by another app at a steady incline at which you're capable of generating the most power, for instance at 6%.

So many ways to "cheat".. I don't know if it is very useful to try to control for all that. For me, but that just for me so your opinions might differ, the biggest thing is testing and improving myself, which makes it a lot easier to control all these variables, as it is no use cheating on yourself.

As for the challenges and the league. I need to catch up. My neck and back are slowly getting better after my crash from 1 1/2 months ago. Cycling in France didn't go too well, because it hurt a bit too much. The last day I had a good ride, which was helped by the decision to just do an easy climb even if I had the feeling I was going slow. Temperatures are finally back to normal in the Netherlands, so now I can ride in the shed without losing buckets of sweat. It's down to a single (fairly large) bucket now :-)

@ibooij I noticed today that the shortcut key to toggle the live rankings is displayed as P but its actually R.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Last couple I've done haven't uploaded automatically to Strava, just me and dodgy wifi in the shed or anybody else got an issue?

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Hi @ibooij. Are you looking at integrating the kickr climb? Over at DCR there is a review of FulGaz and there is a little discussion of the climb and slope command timings. I'm hoping at some point to add a climb to my cave to try and get a real a feel as possible.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Is the initial upload to BRVR working, because the BRVR-Strava sync won't be affected by your Wifi?
Hmmm, good point. Yes the BRVR save is going and the strava file is getting saved, so it sounds from that that it'd be the sync.

Hmmm, good point. Yes the BRVR save is going and the strava file is getting saved, so it sounds from that that it'd be the sync.
I’m guess the issue is on the Strava side then, as I think it is a data pull as opposed to a push from BRVR, though I’m not sure.

ibooij

Über Member
We actually do not sync to Strava from our server, but directly from the app. When upload to Strava fails it can be caused by multiple things. Most often it's the network connection, but sometimes it's just Strava not working correctly. You can check http://status.strava.com/ to see if Strava might have been offline.

ibooij

Über Member
Hi @ibooij. Are you looking at integrating the kickr climb? Over at DCR there is a review of FulGaz and there is a little discussion of the climb and slope command timings. I'm hoping at some point to add a climb to my cave to try and get a real a feel as possible.

When using the Climb with a Kickr (2017 and later) in simulation, it automatically works. Of course, the 2-second difference between the Climb and the Kickr command, as done by Fulgaz, is not implemented in that way. We'll first have to check how the Climb feels without this difference to see if we need to to do anything special. The "special" API does not work over ANT+ unfortunately, but we have plans for Bluetooth Smart anyhow, so that isn't a very big issue.

Top Bottom