BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

Is compatibility with Chromebooks discussed?

ibooij

Über Member
We don't have immediate plans to support Chromebooks. I've read that one should be able to run Linux applications on some (most?) new Chromebooks. The hardware in the premium ones should be more than enough, but I have no information about how it will work with external sensors like the ANT USB dongle. It all depends on how "sandboxed" the application is.
By the way, BigRingVR already runs on Linux. In fact, I began work on BigRingVR on a Linux system a few years ago. The port to Windows and Mac is more recent. We're not distributing a Linux version at the moment because we don't want to support another system. In time (a few months maybe?) we'll probably also release the Linux version.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Wonder if I can put in a plea for a slight enhancement. It may just be me, but I often try and work out how much of the ride I've 'Done' or is left to go.

So in a 40Km I'll be saying at 10Km thats a quarter done, at 20Km, thats halfway, and at 30Km only a quarter to go, you've already done 3/4s you can do this.! :biggrin: Obviously the division is easy when it's a simple multiple, but these rides are not simple multiples, and under the severe oxygen debt my brain doesn't really want to manage long division (It finds it hard enough normally :biggrin:) is it possible to add markers on the profile to show say 1/3, 1/4, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 distance ... on the longer ones you could even add fifths or eights :biggrin: ... an alternative may be to divide the profile into thirds or quarters of distance instead of 5/10/15 Km or 10 / 20 / 30 Km

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Wonder if I can put in a plea for a slight enhancement. It may just be me, but I often try and work out how much of the ride I've 'Done' or is left to go.

So in a 40Km I'll be saying at 10Km thats a quarter done, at 20Km, thats halfway, and at 30Km only a quarter to go, you've already done 3/4s you can do this.! :biggrin: Obviously the division is easy when it's a simple multiple, but these rides are not simple multiples, and under the severe oxygen debt my brain doesn't really want to manage long division (It finds it hard enough normally :biggrin:) is it possible to add markers on the profile to show say 1/3, 1/4, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 distance ... on the longer ones you could even add fifths or eights :biggrin: ... an alternative may be to divide the profile into thirds or quarters of distance instead of 5/10/15 Km or 10 / 20 / 30 Km
That's how I distract myself from the pain. Trying to work out the fraction of the ride I have completed. Sometimes it works :laugh:

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Not just you Aleman by the looks. Tagged on to the back of your request would be how far to summit as well if possible.

Not just you Aleman by the looks. Tagged on to the back of your request would be how far to summit as well if possible.
Tagged on the back of your tagged on the back of request (I think that's the right number of tag on's...), can I tag on a request for 'Expected finish time', so I can tell the wife I should be finished in 45 mins. If I blow up, I can blame BRVR's time algorithm for making me late ^_^

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

We don't have immediate plans to support Chromebooks. I've read that one should be able to run Linux applications on some (most?) new Chromebooks. The hardware in the premium ones should be more than enough, but I have no information about how it will work with external sensors like the ANT USB dongle. It all depends on how "sandboxed" the application is.
By the way, BigRingVR already runs on Linux. In fact, I began work on BigRingVR on a Linux system a few years ago. The port to Windows and Mac is more recent. We're not distributing a Linux version at the moment because we don't want to support another system. In time (a few months maybe?) we'll probably also release the Linux version.

Ah, great news. The Chromebooks supports Linux apps out of the box, so in theory it should work. As you say, the question is how do the sensors work. Exciting news. Probably buying the new Pixelbook 3 detachable later this year.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I see the 3 ascents of Ventoux are coming to BRVR!
Anyone fancy a virtual Cingles this autumn/winter once they are available? It will be a tough day in the saddle.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
I see the 3 ascents of Ventoux are coming to BRVR!
Anyone fancy a virtual Cingles this autumn/winter once they are available? It will be a tough day in the saddle.
Sounds painfull, can you explain the rules? I only ask because I am unfamiliar with the term.

Top Bottom