BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Create your own using zwobuilder ... There is a downloadable file from somewhere that does a ramp test for FTP, which is a bit better than a 20 minute constant effort test ... the only issue with a ramp test is that it must be done to failure.

Here You Go GP Lamas Ramp Test

Had a look at that and used zwofactory to create one of my own so that I could add the following reminder into the description (plus mine only went to 400w and even that was optimistic)

Step test based on GP Lama Lab / Dr S Lane test.
MAP = Watts from last full step + 25w x %age of duration in final step.
FTP = MAP x 0.825
20 minute FTP = FTP x 1.053 (or FTP / 0.95 if you prefer)
VO2MAX = ((11.41 x MAP) + 435)) / body mass (Kg) mL/Kg/min.

Managed to get 45 seconds into the 350w zone before dropping off a cliff so plugging the figures in gave:
MAP = 325 + 25 x 45/150 = 332.5w
FTP = 332.5 x 0.825 = 274w
20 minute FTP = 274/0.95 = 289w
VO2MAX = (11.41 x 332.5 + 435)/70.5* = 59.98 (* = what I weighed this morning)

So room for improvement there. I'll have another go in a few months time to see if there's any change.

I also had a look at a youtube vid of how to calculate VO2MAX from Resting Heart rate (RHR). So after my shower and a nice long rest I'll give it a go and see how the two figures compare.

VO2MAX =15.3 x MHR/RHR

Where MHR = Maximum Heart Rate = 208 - 0.7 x Age (rather than 220 - Age)

Had a look at that and used zwofactory to create one of my own so that I could add the following reminder into the description (plus mine only went to 400w and even that was optimistic)

Step test based on GP Lama Lab / Dr S Lane test.
MAP = Watts from last full step + 25w x %age of duration in final step.
FTP = MAP x 0.825
20 minute FTP = FTP x 1.053 (or FTP / 0.95 if you prefer)
VO2MAX = ((11.41 x MAP) + 435)) / body mass (Kg) mL/Kg/min.

Managed to get 45 seconds into the 350w zone before dropping off a cliff so plugging the figures in gave:
MAP = 325 + 25 x 45/150 = 332.5w
FTP = 332.5 x 0.825 = 274w
20 minute FTP = 274/0.95 = 289w
VO2MAX = (11.41 x 332.5 + 435)/70.5* = 59.98 (* = what I weighed this morning)

So room for improvement there. I'll have another go in a few months time to see if there's any change.

I also had a look at a youtube vid of how to calculate VO2MAX from Resting Heart rate (RHR). So after my shower and a nice long rest I'll give it a go and see how the two figures compare.

VO2MAX =15.3 x MHR/RHR

Where MHR = Maximum Heart Rate = 208 - 0.7 x Age (rather than 220 - Age)

Haven't you got this bit reversed?
"20 minute FTP = FTP x 1.053 (or FTP / 0.95 if you prefer)"

shouldn't it be
20 minute FTP = FTP / 1.053 (or FTP x 0.95 if you prefer)

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Haven't you got this bit reversed?
"20 minute FTP = FTP x 1.053 (or FTP / 0.95 if you prefer)"

shouldn't it be
20 minute FTP = FTP / 1.053 (or FTP x 0.95 if you prefer)
I had a bit of a thought about this before posting. When we do a 20 minute FTP we take 95% of this to derive FTP i.e FTP = 0.95 x 20 minute FTP. Therefore 20 minute FTP = FTP/0.95
1/0.95 = 1.0526.

The step test works out FTP "directly" so we derive the 20 minute figure from this rather than derive FTP from the 20 minute one if that makes sense.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
+1 On something cadence related. I'm terrible at maintaining a sensible cadence; just ask my knees...
Was thinking along the lines of a stylised pedal crank that sync's with cadence but Ilja explained about the colour coding being a percentage. I agree about the knees though!

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Well I've had a nice long rest. RHR = 47 bpm

MHR = Maximum Heart Rate = 208 - 0.7 x 60 = 166

VO2MAX =15.3 x 166/47 = 54 This compares to roughly 60 from the step test. Either way I haven't a clue what either figure means anyway,

Reactions: djk
I had a bit of a thought about this before posting. When we do a 20 minute FTP we take 95% of this to derive FTP i.e FTP = 0.95 x 20 minute FTP. Therefore 20 minute FTP = FTP/0.95
1/0.95 = 1.0526.

The step test works out FTP "directly" so we derive the 20 minute figure from this rather than derive FTP from the 20 minute one if that makes sense.
OK, yes I see what you are doing. I hadn't followed all your steps through properly and thought you were saying that the actual results of a 20 minute test would then give you a figure that was higher as a full ftp number (ie for an hours worth of effort).

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
OK, yes I see what you are doing. I hadn't followed all your steps through properly and thought you were saying that the actual results of a 20 minute test would then give you a figure that was higher as a full ftp number (ie for an hours worth of effort).
It's certainly confusing isn't it. I based the sums on the GPLama video and the information contained in the write up. One thing that always gets me about these formulae is the sheer amount of data that must have been collected to be able to use them.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
It means you're bloody fit, but the Pro's would still fly by
That's the sad bit, watching someone breeze past and there's nothing you can do about it. I console myself by "knowing" that they've got a concealed electric motor (very well hidden in some cases) somewhere on their bike :sad:

It means your better than me :cry: but we knew that anyway without the figures to prove it :rofl:
Maybe on a turbo but I bet you'd wipe the floor with me in the real world, I've seen some of your videos.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Honey Badger looks to be the nicer workout apart from the cadence, make it a cadence of 85-95 rather than (95-105)

Chain breaker focusing on Lactate threshold would have me crying ... but a great workout

It depends on what you want to focus on Power or endurance?

Honey Badger looks to be the nicer workout apart from the cadence, make it a cadence of 85-95 rather than (95-105)

Chain breaker focusing on Lactate threshold would have me crying ... but a great workout

It depends on what you want to focus on Power or endurance?

I'm thinking Chain Breaker because in all honesty, I might be getting too old to start worrying about big power outputs. But then again, I don't go on 6 hour rides very often. Decisions, decisions

Edit. Decision made. Lactate Threshold it is

Last edited:
Top Bottom