BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Very likely a battery issue. Just one of those coincidences when upgrading I suspect

I suppose the ticker could have just given up on me as well. It felt like it tonight :heat:
TBF, my ticker struggles every time I hit those hills .... that is, the 'ticker' inside my chest :crazy: I blame @Aleman for choosing these rides :boxing:

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I blame @Aleman for choosing these rides :boxing:
:girl::reading:

No idea @djk , it can still be a coincidence of course. Please send your log files to bigringvr@bigringvr.com so we can analyze the messages sent from the HRM. Please send both the ant.log and bigringvr.log files, including all the _X.log.gz ones, so we have data from the previous rides as well.

Thanks!

Ok, will do. I just thought it strange that when I made a new device config it discovered the HRM, which would suggest the device is working and talking to the app.

I'll ping the logs across later tonight/tomorrow

Cheers, Dave

ibooij

Über Member
Hi @ibooij. Sorry I haven't got back to you, work got in the way.

It turned out to be a dead HRM.

Cheers anyway
Dave

Thanks for the update. Dead batteries or hardware can be hard to diagnose. When low on battery, sometimes the signal does get through when not cycling, but when you start and generate some electromagnetic interference using the trainer, WiFi etc, the signal turns out to be too weak. Glad you got it sorted out!

Cheers,
Ilja

Reactions: djk
You guys are clever people.

I was wondering if you can help me out with something that has been bothering me for a while regarding my training.

I'm a few months off 50 and I keep hearing from multiple different sources that to find out my maximum heart rate, I should subtract my age from 220.

I know this is an approximation, but I quite often hit the 190's in my rides when I'm pushing hard towards the end and can hold it in the 180's for a while, yet based on the above calculation my max HR should be 171.

Am I pushing too hard? In no way shape or form am I targeting this HR. I feel fine after a short recovery (a few mins).

I love the insantity of the effort, but I don't want to do any damage. Should I back off?

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Aleman

That formula is complete bollocks, to put it mildly :biggrin:

I'm 56, and when really pushing my HR is around 185, my maximal HR used to be 203, but has dropped with training to 198.

I have a link somewhere to a great article that tells you how to properly work out your heart rate zones, I'll try and find it.

I did discuss it with my doc, who told me not to worry too much about it, as long as when you stop working hard it returns to normal levels within about 10 to 15 minutes. That's how I cool down now 15 minutes at tapering watts and my HR will fall from the high 180s to 117 to 121

Last edited:
That formula is complete bollocks, to put it mildly :biggrin:

I'm 56, and when really pushing my HR is around 185, my maximal HR used to be 203, but has dropped with training to 198.

I have a link somewhere to a great article that tells you how to properly work out your heart rate zones, I'll try and find it.

I did used it with my doc, who told me not to worry too much about it, as long as when you stop working hard it returns to normal levels within about 10 to 15 minutes. That's how I cool down now 15 minutes at tapering watts and my HR will fall from the high 180s to 117 to 121

I wasn't holding too much store in the value of the calculation, but just wasn't sure which method is best. I'll take a look at the article when you dig it out. Thanks mate

Dave

Aleman

Hi all, When we set up this years Goats League I said that I was going to stop adding rides for the summer, as it gets too hot in out Pain Caves to ride. This last couple of weeks has seen me melting even with the fans going full pelt (Get a Bigger Fan!!), plus there is a larger frequency of people riding IRL, so perhaps time constraints will also reduce the participants.

So, what do you think? Shall I continue to add rides throughout the summer, or shall we have a hiatus and continue in say September or October?

@ibooij if we decide on a hiatus, would you still like me to select rides for the BRVR league?

Top Bottom