Bike advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
An MTB might not be the best choice. At that price it'll be very heavy so you're just hauling more weight around. I'd go and look at the Decathlon range of Hybrid bikes with a rigid fork. Alternatively look for a good used example, there are plenty of bikes on Gumtree, Preloved, etc. Many are bought with good intentions and then chucked in a shed, these are the type to go for. Make sure you get your size.
@biggs682 on here might have something for you.
Good luck.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Not disagreeing - just noting that the Falcon weighs 19kg?

Perhaps 3/4 of a stone of extra weight, compared to a hybrid in the same price range? With heavy effort-sapping off-road tyres?
Just gets you fitter due to more effort. Before you know it you'll be super strong and changing to a road bike and hammering high watts out on the tarmac!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Fair enough, but its not going to be a very pleasant experience all things considered.
I'd correct the OPs statement that's its the best bike he can afford, I'd say its the worst bike be can afford.

OP
OP
R

Ron1234

Regular
Good for you, hope it goes well.
You may also want to consider lights, helmet and tools etc to cost in. Padded shorts and some cream for the thighs are also useful (I'm a big lad and the soreness from the chapping can put you off so I use an anti friction gel)
If it gets too much in the deepest winter you can always get a turbo trainer and change the tyres over. Plenty of info on CC on what to buy especially with smart trainers and various league competitions for fun!
Got tools pump saddle bag locking cable thing going to go to halfords once bike arrives for helmet and lights thanks for your advice

Tbh I'm not concerned about the weight of the bike as much as the weight of me lol as I get slimmer I'll look into better bikes
There's just enough there to suggest to me that you've seen the bike, tried it, and ... "it felt right" (something akin to "falling in love"!).

Fair enough - been there, done that, and yet to be wrong ^_^.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Tbh I'm not concerned about the weight of the bike as much as the weight of me lol as I get slimmer I'll look into better bikes

@Ron1234 if I was in your situation I would try and get hold of a decent early 90's non suspension mountain bike , loads about for less than £50 via e bay or gumtree .

Where are you based ?

@Cycleops thank you

@Ron1234 if I was in your situation I would try and get hold of a decent early 90's non suspension mountain bike , loads about for less than £50 via e bay or gumtree .

@Cycleops thank you
I would agree with biggs682, look around for a 80s/90;s MTB, most used Reynolds 501 steel frame, somewhat akin to Gas piping, and bomb proof. Regarding weight it is surprising how much weight a set of cheap wheels will take. you could look at a Halo wheel set as they produce some bomb proof wheel sets. Another thing the gloom and doom peeps forget there are loads of peeps touring on standard wheel sets where the combined weight of the bike, luggage and the person is quite considerable.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Agree with the MTB and 26" wheels with at least 32 spokes, 36 a bonus. Would be worth getting them trued and tensioned before you ride on them OP. Swap the tyres for something that will roll reasonably well in 1.5/1.75 inch flavour and you're good to go.

J1888

Über Member
Good luck Ron, I hope you grow to love cycling as many of us do.

I was a 20 something in reasonable shape but not exactly 'fit' and cycling for me has been one of the best things in my life for my mental and physical health.

The first little while will be really hard going (it was for me anyway) but stick at it and don't get down if you're not able to go as far or fast as you thought you might.

Could also be worth checking if your local council offer any subsidised bike maintenance or cycling safety courses. I know many in London do, so if you're interested, have a look on your council's website.

Godspeed, Ron

Personally speaking Ron1234, I wouldn't even consider buying any kind of bike until I had shed at least 25kgs, my reason being that riding a bike at the same time as attempting to balance and take into account everything going on around you, who knows, but it might just put far too much stress onto your body.

What I would do initially is to speak to some learned person with extensive knowledge about your finite and particularly exacting needs and requirements.

But for sure, if it were me before even thinking of setting out on the open road, I would consult with a very learned person, I would also consider buying an exercise bike and then enter into a very carefully monitored and managed exercise programme allied to an equally managed diet, otherwise it could far too much stress onto the main components of your body, most especially your heart.

Sorry if this isn't what you might be wanting to hear, but I wrote it with you carefully in mind.

Top Bottom