Bike cleaning in the winter months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When I commuted I would give my bike a full clean at the weekend and very occasionally give it a quick wipe down at lunchtime.

I'm now retired and have the time to spend 10-15 minutes washing off the worst after any ride. I've recently installed these Kinesis mudguards and estimate they reduce the amount of dirt, mud etc. picked up by the frame by at least 50% and probably much more. An excellent investment for me.

Kinesis mudguards

ACF50, £15 per spray can, they're 'aving a larf.

I can get a whole bike off eBay for that. :laugh:

ACF50, £15 per spray can, they're 'aving a larf.

I can get a whole bike off eBay for that. :laugh:
A bottle I think at £36 has lasted 3 years, with loads left and that covers a motorbike, car alloys and push irons..... apply to motorbikes with a paint brush or warm the little spray bottle in a jug of water so it goes on thinner. Its not meant for push irons but works the same. Plus even a spray tin would last a century on a skinny cycle parts

johnblack

Über Member
I use a citrus base cleaner, 5 litres is less than 20 quid, it's really concentrated so do need much. Quick spray, leave for a few minutes hose down and wipe clean. Leaves it looking nice and ready to go once oiled. I spend a lot of time on my bikes and they cost a lot of money, so it's only right that I keep it in good order.

In fact I'm going out to do it now, couldn't be bothered on Sunday, it was too cold, today is positively balmy.

Before winter, clean your bike and wax the frame with car wax. Fit full length bolt on mudguards. If you have any cup and cone wheel bearings ( wheels, pedals) pack them full of grease.
If you have a steel frame spray something inside the frame tubes. Frame wax or even wd40 will do.
Use a winter wet lube on the chain.
Avoid high pressure water around all bearings.
If you spray and bring the bike in and out of heated rooms, check inside the seat tube for water.
Occasionally stand your bike vertically to drain water from the seat and chain stays.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is dirt

A lbs was selling this a few years ago at circa half the advertised price. I wasn't sure I would use it much but being a flat dweller it has changed my life.

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/ka...MdsoIkKwRBW3vB9yLsD6F1WyueEyWKZxoCnxMQAvD_BwE

garden sprayer
I've read other ppl using this & have been considering one for myself. I used to use a cpl water bottles of warm water when I got home but a cpl years ago I bought a long handle soft brush so I've been using that with a bucket of warm water with a cpl drops of Dawn dish soap. however, every time someone writes about garden sprayers, I get re-interested. thanks for sharing!

johnblack

Über Member
I've read other ppl using this & have been considering one for myself. I used to use a cpl water bottles of warm water when I got home but a cpl years ago I bought a long handle soft brush so I've been using that with a bucket of warm water with a cpl drops of Dawn dish soap. however, every time someone writes about garden sprayers, I get re-interested. thanks for sharing!
I've got one to use if we take the bikes out in the van or car, spray them off afterwards before putting back in. Perfect.

Top Bottom