Bike Fit Help Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saddle looks to low ,to much of a bend in the knee , put the crank inline with the seat tube and with thin soled shoes or socks on feet put your heels on the peddles,you should just be resting on the saddle,a good place to start with fore and aft position is with a plumb bomb , the nobly protrusion just below the knee cap in line with the peddle spindle,check with plum bomb,

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

I promise you I am not being ungrateful, but i have stated that I have followed all the usual set up guidelines but I seemed to have hit a wall! started again today using the 109 method and a new stem, also moved cleats back a bit. here's the result.
very happy at the moment.

View: https://youtu.be/cyIjaUNUdt0

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

Also spoke to a friend of a friend who is a physiotherapist, she said that i have narrow shoulders and a skinny arse and am also very flexible. She also said after seeing that last vid if I do some planks and kettle bell swings to tune up my core the slight hip rocking is not an issue. Another plus is very strong when standing up on the hoods.
Thanks for all the replies, longer ride tomorrow or Sunday for a good test.

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

Actually its interesting you should say that because I am 5ft 9 and a 1/5 so fall between the 54 and 56 camps but the 56 I was riding for a little while was too big. Plus the step over on this frame is perfect. Agreed that lots of conflicting opinions on the net including this particular forum but I'm determined to get it right and my cycling budget does not stretch to a professional fit.
Onwards and Upwards

When I had my bike fit at the LBS I was there for about 2 hours and the total cost was £95 and than included a shorter giant stem , in my case it was money well spent as I had been adjusting things nearly every ride Trying to stop my fingers going numb ,the fit cured the numbness and made riding more comfortable

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you tried flipping the stem?

Bike sizes are generally a bit of a nonsense as they don’t measure the same part of the frame to determine

I’m the same height as you, albeit longer of leg vs torso/reach and my bikes have a 54cm top tube and a 100mm flipped stem. I’m pretty crocked so never truly comfortable but I dont feel stretched

That last video certainly looks like you're getting there!
You do seem quite cramped in the "cockpit", particularly when you had the shorter stem on; this might be due to you being at the upper height for he frame or possibly trying to emulate your old upright bike's position.
I'd certainly stick with your latest fit for a few rides and see how you get on

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

IMG_0481.jpeg

screenman

Legendary Member
Too upright and I get a lot of lower back pain, having a herniated disc down there does not help, so for me it is lower rather than higher on the bars.

Actually its interesting you should say that because I am 5ft 9 and a 1/5 so fall between the 54 and 56 camps but the 56 I was riding for a little while was too big. Plus the step over on this frame is perfect. Agreed that lots of conflicting opinions on the net including this particular forum but I'm determined to get it right and my cycling budget does not stretch to a professional fit.
Onwards and Upwards
FWIW 5ft 9 &1/2 and ride a 54cm.
A few years back I was sitting in a bike shop cafe and someone asked the store manager about the size of my bike and he brought out a tape and said it was too big for me. I'd done nearly 25,000 miles on the bike, including Flanders,the LBL and numerous centuries in comfort and without injury but this got me paranoid. I checked some blurb on fits by the most sporty fit it was indeed about 0.5cm too big but for the comfort fits it was up to 2cm too small. That put my mind at rest I've since done over 40,000miles on the bike, the 312, Flanders again, LEJOG and numerous other centuries and long rides.:okay:

Top Bottom