Bike fittings - talk me through it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
I think I'm heading down the slippery slope of hybrid -> road bike.
So in realistic terms I'll probably be looking to get a road bike next spring.
Have no idea where to start.
How do bike fittings work? Do I get measured up and then get given something like an optical prescription that I can use to select a suitable bike?
Or do I look around bike shops till I see something I like and then get measured up for it?
I think this might end up being more of a challenge than buying a new car!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

Normally people visit a bike shop and try out specific bikes, probably have the size recommenced by somebody there. There are places that offer a full custom fitting service though, as you have mentioned. The fit and feel of different bikes can vary considerably though, so one bike in a 56 might fit perfectly but another might be way out.

Have look around at Local Bike Shops (LBS) and take it from there maybe? Best of luck and don't forget to post pics of the bike on here, when you have it :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think I'm heading down the slippery slope of hybrid -> road bike.
So in realistic terms I'll probably be looking to get a road bike next spring.
Have no idea where to start.
How do bike fittings work? Do I get measured up and then get given something like an optical prescription that I can use to select a suitable bike?
Or do I look around bike shops till I see something I like and then get measured up for it?
I think this might end up being more of a challenge than buying a new car!

You could try a sizing chart,thne use that as a base when trying sizes.Be careful of "compact" sloping tube bikes as you have to make sure the sizing is based on what it would be if the top tube is flat rather than the sloping tube height.

E.G my bike is a 19" measured size but a 21" if taken from where the tube would be if it were flat.(54cm).
Reach is one of the most important things i think, if your overreaching to much then it can be uncomfortable even if the saddle height is right .

Try this ...............
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO&INTRO_LINK=NOREDIR

or a bit less technical...........
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you do a spesh bike fit you come away with a 'prescription' but iirc it is only for one style of bike and you are meant to take you own with you. nbg if you turn up on an mtb and say you want fitting to a road bike!

Much like buying a pair of jeans imho. Find one you like, then try it on.
Small adjustments can be made (shorter stem, saddle forward\height etc.) like wearing a belt, turn ups etc.

You'll get 95 percent of it by just trying it on.
biggrin.gif

There are number of Holy Grail type formulae that are sometimes used in bike fitting. In my experience they are quite good places to start, but in reality only experimentation will give you an ideal saddle height. A professional bike fit session is not going to be cheap, though if it prevents you from making an expensive mistake it'll be money well spent.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
This fitting guide should help you work out roughly what size you need then try some out for size.

Road bike size guide

Take advice from the LBS and take your time, definitely dont accept a bike thats nearly right if they dont have the size you want. , your going to spend a lot of hours on the bike and it wont be fun if it doesnt fit.

Reach can be adjusted a bit by a longer or shorter stem. Seat height can be adjusted by raising the seat post but if the frame is too small you will end up with the bars much lower than the seat which you may not be happy with .

Randochap

Senior hunter
In the end, you are the best bike fitter. As others have said, you can refer to formulas, but they'll only get you in the ball park and one has to trust that a bike shop will have your best interests in mind-- which a reputable shop always will -- rather than moving what they have on the floor.

There is a detailed sizing/fitting guide at the VeloWeb link below.

Dave, are you getting a fitting done at the Edinburgh Tri Centre? They basically take a whole load of measurements of your body, they have a jig to help and get them precise. The measurements are then fed in to their computer and sent to a master computer which analyses the data and sends back with something like this:
3777682178_a3188eeed1.jpg

There's nothing much to it really, you just have to specify how you want the bike set up for speed or endurance.

Their website explains the process.

Good Luck :-)

This is my personal opinion FWIW - but I fail to see how anyone can measure up someone for a bike without knowing their riding style.

Buy a bike in the general ballpark size wise and fine tune with stems/seat adjustments would be my advice.

This is my personal opinion FWIW - but I fail to see how anyone can measure up someone for a bike without knowing their riding style.

Buy a bike in the general ballpark size wise and fine tune with stems/seat adjustments would be my advice.

The fit system that I had done at the Edinburgh tri centre takes account of your broad riding style, racing/ touring etc.

From their web site
And then takes into account the type of bicycle and the riding style of the individual.

L.E.D.

Would go along with this. Despite having several road bikes , I let the shop measure me up for the last one and when it was finally ready found it was totally unrideable ! ! ! Ended up taking my old bike down and getting the frame size closest to my bike and tweaked it from there.

I would take your hybrid with you and try to match the new bike to that.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Thanks for the replies folks, sorry for falling silent - I've had a busy couple of weeks.

I'm thinking the tri-centre fitting looks ideal and am in Edinburgh so will probably go down that route.

Cheers!

Top Bottom